Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi Day 100km Touring

• 07-08-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

I am planning a solo tour around Kerry and West Cork at the end of the month. I would like to do around 700km in total over 9 days with 2 or 3 rest days. In or around 100km per cycling day.

Thinking of getting the train to Killarney, doing the ring over two days and taking in the climbs between Ballinskelligs / Portmagee on one of the days. Then the general plan would be to cycle back to Dublin via the cost where possible with a few days stop off in Roscarbery, taking in Youghal and New Ross in on the way home.

I have completed a 160 sportif and rode about 800km in July and I'm happy enough with my fitness levels at the moment - didn't feel too sore after the 160 but I have only done back to back 100km's once - I imagine 3 or 4 days in a row over that distance is a different ball game.

Am I mad or is this an achievable voyage? I will be in relaxed mode and in no real rush. Sticking relatively close to train lines means I can abandon at any stage if needs be!

Is there any particular training that might help even at this late stage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Sounds like a great spin, hope the weather stays nice. The Ring is nice alright, but I reckon the roads inside the ring are more scenic-there's the Gap of Dunloe, Black Valley and also Ballaghisheen gap. Some steep hills, but if you're just taking it handy, it will be fine. If you are looking for a few pints and some nice food to break up the journey, head to Baltimore and Kinsale on the way back towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

I wouldn't worry too much about training, but you could make a list of what you're going to be carrying and work out a system for your packing and maybe do a test run with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I did the same last year and year before. Dont worry about fitness, if you get tired you just go slower. 100km per day leaves plenty of time to get from a to b. Keep your luggage light - I found 5 kilos reduced my average speed by about 2.5 kmph for example.

Definitely factor in the Gap of Dunloe, Beara & Dingle peninsulas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

thanks for the advice all! Ok sound's like I'll survive ;-). I won't have the time to take in the Dingle peninsula but may be able to squeeze in the Beara. Will definitely take in some of those climbs mentioned off the Ring.

Was in West Cork this weekend on a family thing sans bike and was incredibly jealous (to the point of bitterness) of every roadie I saw spinning by! The weather was fab. Knowing my luck I have cursed the people of Cork and Kerry with poor weather for the last week of August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

I was down in Dingle last week, did the Slea head drive on the road bike a few times. Its beautiful scenery well worth a visit if you are feeling really adventurous you could take in the Connor pass as well,I didn't make it that far myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

You'll be fine, I did 600km in 4 days last month (in a group, so a little easier) with little training in the run up due to injury. Only 1 100km spin this year before that. The scenery will keep you going; my husband took his bike to Kerry while I was away and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

If you can do 160 k without feeling too sore you'll be fine. Maybe look in to doing a bit of stretching at the end of each day. I find a tennis ball under the glutes is great but you'll hardly have room for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

If you can do 160 k without feeling too sore you'll be fine. Maybe look in to doing a bit of stretching at the end of each day. I find a tennis ball under the glutes is great but you'll hardly have room for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Should be grand. Pen in a rest day midway.

Key is weight. Try keep to minimum and bring basic spares for self sufficiency. Prep a list of lbs along your route for any trickier fixes e.g. Drive side spokes.

And be prepared for weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Paris Hong

It’s a good plane. I finished the plan like you successfully on May,2014. I rode a bike from Chengdu to Tibet, around 2200km in total 31days with 9 rest days . According to my experience, you don’t need to do any particular training now, just keep a happy mood and relax. I believe you can do that. Good luck. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Touring west cork and Kerry on 100km a day will be tiring. Very doable but keep don't be rushing and plan to eat more than you think you need. I did a simular spin a number of years ago and on day 4 my legs were really tired which made me a bit frustrated and on looking back it was my food intake. I was eating all wrong. Eat drink and take regular breaks and you will enjoy a relaxing and worthwhile spin. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Did a 100km a day over 4 days around west cork 4 years ago with a hybrid, fitness levels then would have been similar to what OP describes.

Taking it handy it's 4-5hrs on bike per day. Keep weight down and you'll be grand. I ate plenty on that trip!

Just did an impromptu 500km trip around Munster last weekend with a topeak carrier, with a 3kg load.

155km, 175km, 120km with 45km rest day sauntering around Mizen in between.

Load of beer every night also!

Great cycling with decent weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ford2600 wrote: »
    Did a 100km a day over 4 days around west cork 4 years ago with a hybrid, fitness levels then would have been similar to what OP describes.

Taking it handy it's 4-5hrs on bike per day. Keep weight down and you'll be grand. I ate plenty on that trip!

Just did an impromptu 500km trip around Munster last weekend with a topeak carrier, with a 3kg load.

155km, 175km, 120km with 45km rest day sauntering around Mizen in between.

Load of beer every night also!

Great cycling with decent weather

This is key!! Nothing like a pint or 2 of Bulmers during the day as well. Its isotonic of course.

I have done a good few trips 600km to 1100km on a road bike averaging anywhere from 95 to 115kms a day and key is keeping weight down as advised above. Saddlebag, handlebar bag are enough for me. I usually average about 20km/h with all the gear so about 5 to 6 hours cycling a day.

I have never done it in Ireland, only in warm climates so you may have to pack a little more for Irish weather. We always got away with shorts and light shirts for evening wear. You may need a pair of long trousers and a fleece for autumn evenings.

best of luck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Not sure how you're planning to carry the luggage, but I would avoid carrying anything on your back. You can pick up panniers in Aldi for about €15 from time to time, they're very decent for the price (I used them for a week of touring in France last summer without any problems).

100km/day is definitely achievable, enjoy it!

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of good stuff in there! (Especially the Beer based suggestions).

Really looking forward to it now. Nice weather would be nice but sure I'll take what I get!

Now that I have my route fairly sorted packing is indeed the next thought. Going to put my rack back on, use as few panniers as possible, and also buy a saddlebag, then keep it to the bare minimum. Couple of pair of shorts/ jerseys, puncture kit, spare tubes, bit of evening gear, rain jacket, festival phone, side pump etc and a lock.

I agree fully re food thebouldwhacker - I am an advocate of slight over eating to ensure I avoid the dreaded bonk! I know other posters below have different philosophies when it comes to this, better men than I! :p

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of good stuff in there! (Especially the Beer based suggestions).

Really looking forward to it now. Nice weather would be nice but sure I'll take what I get!

Now that I have my route fairly sorted packing is indeed the next thought. Going to put my rack back on, use as few panniers as possible, and also buy a saddlebag, then keep it to the bare minimum. Couple of pair of shorts/ jerseys, puncture kit, spare tubes, bit of evening gear, rain jacket, festival phone, side pump etc and a lock.

I agree fully re food thebouldwhacker - I am an advocate of slight over eating to ensure I avoid the dreaded bonk! I know other posters below have different philosophies when it comes to this, better men than I! :p

Off top of my head my favourite sections to cycle in West Cork/Kerry
    *Slea Head
    * Conor Pass in either direction
    * Gap Of Dunloe/Black Valley
    * Ballaghbeama
    * Ballaghisheen/Glencar
    * Borlin
    * Priest's Leap(if you hate yourself!)
    * Healy Pass
    * Anywhere on tip of Beara

Put up your route if you want any route advice

Some good looking routes in there. Sadly I won't be able to make it over to Dingle as I need to be in Roscarbery for a few days in the middle and need the time to get back there. The cycles within the ring look incredible though - what would you recommend for, say, the first day, trying to take Ballaghbeama / Ballaghisheen but also looking to do Molls Gap and the climb before Waterville? (sentimental reasons, touring the ring at 13 with my dad over a week - nice to happen upon these places again.)

Killarney - Waterville (via Kenamre) - 88k
    Waterville - Ballinskelligs - Portmagee - Killarney - 104
    Killarney - Roscarbery - 100km
    Roscarbery Rest Day (open to some local cycling)
    Roscarbery Rest Day
    Roscarbery - Youghal - 110km
    Youghal - New Ross - 95km
    New Ross - Dub - May do this over two nights but may just plough back to Dublin!

Killarney- Portmagee Ballinaskeilligs- Waterville.
    Waterville-Ballaghisheen- Glencar- Ballaghbeama-Black Valley- Dunloe Killarney
    Killarney- Kilgarvan- Borlin- Bantry- Roscarbery
    Roscarbery-Kinsale-Carriagline-Monkstown-Cobh-Youghal
    Youghal-Dungarvan(on main road busy but wide hard shoulder)-coast road from there to Waterford- New ross
    East coast- does it matter...:D

I've mapped a few of them out, they look great. Thanks for the help - I'll stick to that as a plan.

I've mapped a few of them out, they look great. Thanks for the help - I'll stick to that as a plan.

If there is a prettier 100 odd km in country than day2 let me know.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Paris Hong

I think you should make a detailed route book before you go. Such as on the day of the final destination, journey, accommodation problem etc. All these should be considered according to your own physical state. What you should carry are necessary safety equipments, drugs(trauma, cold, diarrhea etc), rain gear, tools etc. Hope you’ll have a nice trip. @simonrooneyzaga :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Is Killarney-Rosscarbery really only 100 km? Via Bantry, I thought it would be longer.

Back a few days now and had an absolutely fantastic trip.

After a minor potential disaster at 5.30pm on the eve before I had a 7am train to Killarney (hanger broke in the bike shop, they were trying to bend it back into shape and it snapped and they didn't have any ridgeback replacements!!), my LBS sorted me out with a brand new Trek 1.2 which I am eternally grateful for.

First Day rolled out of Killarney and headed via Killorglin, Cahersiveen, Portmagee, Ballinskelligs, Waterville, Dromid (120km) in fantastic weather ready to take on Ford's suggested route the next morning back to Killarney. However, the heavens opened and never stopped and I was very concerned about the descents over the 3 peaks. I felt uncomfortable enough in the dry coming down over the very steep hill outside Portmagee the previous day, so I decided to head back out onto the ring and into a serious headwind for the day, via Caherdaniel, Kenmare and onto the main road to bring me back to Killarney for another 120km. Everything got soaked and the winds were a bitch, but things could only get better!

Third cycling day was a really great spin. 125km over Molls Gap, the Caha Pass, Bantry, Skibbereen and Rosscarbery, and felt comfortable throughout.

I then headed the 100km or so to Middleton via Kinsale and the Passage West Ferry - another beautiful day on the bike, especially with a serious tailwind behind me the entire way.

From there I ventured the 125km from Middleton to dungarvan, copper coast, tramore, new Ross, where my house mate had organised his parents house for me to stay in as they were on holidays. Luxury and more great tailwinds!!

I was to meet my Dad in Courtown the next day, so had a relatively easy 70km to there via Enniscorthy and Gorey.

From there, he joined me for the last leg and I was able to dump my panniers and carrier with his partner who drove back. It was a stunning day and we headed up the coast via Arklow, Larragh and Roundwood, but he was struggling from there and was picked up (he'd been sick for the week). I took Sally from the roundwood side via Lough Tay and then had a beautiful final descent via Stocking Lane home. Perfect way to finish off an incredible week.

785km total including 25k around the Killarney Lakes on one of two rest days. The other was spent in Rosscarbery watching rain bucket down all day. Thank god I had scheduled the rest day for then!

Thanks all for the advice, I am bulling I couldn't do the Black Valley / gap of Dunloe, but may head down for a night again before the end of September to give it another go.

EDIT: Oh, and ZERO punctures or mechanicals :D - Averages ranged from 22kmph (headwind day) to 32kmph (tailwind day). Took a while to get used to the panniers but they were fine by day 2. Hit 81kmph coming down the Caha pass.

Advertisement