Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Write Vs Re-Write

Options
  • 01-01-2013 2:44pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do you find it better to write a complete novel/story and then edit or break it up into smaller chunks e.g. write a chapter, edit and then move on to the next one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Editing as you go is a good idea to 'clean up' the mistakes you've made. However, it is only when you've written the full story that you'll have a definite idea of the flow and style of the story. When you get to the end, you'll undoubtedly have elements in the story you want to revisit and change around.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ahayzer42

Personally, I just write until it's finished.

Then I print it out, re-read it, making notes and scribbling changes in the margin etc. I have one or two people that I always get to read stuff for me and I give it to them and ask them to come back to me with suggestions, changes etc.

In the past I've found that if I stop to re-read, mid-writing, I'll get disheartened when I spot mistakes or plotholes, etc and just give up on it. I have one thing, that's about 80,000 words at present but is at a standstill for this very reason.

So, from my own experience, just keep writing, get it all down and done and then worry about changing it!

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Fair points. It's hard to resist the urge especially when you look back and see what you've written is seriously flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ahayzer42

I suppose it depends. If it's just syntax, spelling, etc, I'd leave it because you're just going to get bogged down in it and it's stuff that can be easily fixed after.

If it's plot, I don't know. If you're very plot centric, maybe change it but i'd still be thinking of just getting it all written and done and then, because you know where the story is going and how it's going to end, it might give you a better idea as to how to change whatever plot point it is that's bugging you?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

The actual events are happening pretty much how I want them to for now but its the writing around the events e.g. descriptions, dialogue etc that really needs some polish. I'll probably leave it for now and revisit later as I still have less than 20k words written in my first attempt at a novel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

I've started three books and only finished the last one - all because I was advised to just vomit it onto the pages and go back afterwards to clean it up. What has happened is that I've realised I didn't really want the story to go in that direction so now I've got to rewrite it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I keep writing until it's finished.

If I realise halfway through that I need to change something, I make a note in the comments and keep writing as if the changes had already been made.

If I stop to fix things, I lose the flow and find it hard to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 noniej

I've got three books, one complete but not edited and two others with 50k and 70k, all of which have fallen at the editing hurdle. I've just hated them. I honestly don't know what's the 'write' way to do it but maybe if you're a perfectionist as I am, editing as you go is the best way. But then, I read the other day that there are three stages to editing. What you thought the book was going to be, what it is and what it ends up as.

It's all very confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 morriss003

If its a long book, 100K words, I have to reread from time to time to keep the facts straight. When I do, I edit. I take out some words and add others. I also write scenes in advance of where I am in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 morriss003

If it's a long book, 100K words, I have to reread from time to time to keep the facts straight. When I do, I edit. I take out some words and add others. I also write scenes in advance of where I am in the book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement