Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna travel, for 4 to 6 weeks.

Options
  • 27-01-2010 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey, i'm a student who is dying to see some lovely cities. Berlin, Paris, Prague etc. I'm thinkin way ahead but need to save. Hoping to go when i complete my science degree next year.

I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me the best place to organise such a trip? or the best way to organise it, ie. should i book hostels etc before i go or just book when i get there? how much money is advised to have etc?

If there is a cheap way to do some cities in the US too, i'd love to hear about them!

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Definitely book your own. Not only is it miles cheaper, you also get a much more interesting and more memorable trip. I have done a lot of city hopping myself and am still doing a lot of it. In 4 to 6 weeks, you could easily see 20 cities or more. Interrailing would be a very interesting option for transport. If you drive, renting a car may be another one. You should definitely pre-book your hostels. If you book through http://www.hostelworld.com (who are *the* place for hostel bookings and also happen to be an Irish company), after your first booking, you should get a code that will allow you to make further bookings without a charge and with the option to cancel until the last second. If you do not get the code (not sure they still pass them out), they offer a Gold Card for a couple of € that gives you the same benefits. Aimed with that, you can pre-book an itinerary and then still change it all should you get stuck somewhere on the way or change your mind.

When I do longer trips, I tend to add a lot of variety. Whenever special hotel fares come along, I book some five star place for €20 a night just so that after four or five nights of dorms, I have some comfort interspersed. Combining different modes of travel can also be interesting - do some Interrailing, then fly (maybe even to the US if you feel like it), then drive for a while. The options are endless. If you put some effort into this, you can make it one hell of a trip.

Advertisement