Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what other things cause cancer do you reckon?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I can fit 4 old 2p's up each nostril

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I often wonder if the fallout from Chernobyl has anything to do with it.
    After all, nuclear and highly toxic substances were blown right across Euorpe, and has contaminated soil, from which we grow our veggies, and which we are consuming every day. Surely this has something to do with it?
    My husband developed cancer of the thyroid. Had two tumours, removed.
    He was an orchestral wind player. This week they were suggesting that there was a link between wind players and cancer, due to toxic substances gradually building up inside the instrument, which in turn could be causing a potential carcinogenic effect on the performer. I think there is something in it.
    :(

yes i see that slot on sky news about the instruments - scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Was reading this, today:

" Cornishman Cornwall, England
    16 May 1923
    GYPSY CENTENARIAN. WOMAN WHO LIVED FOR 107 YEARS WITHOUT AN ILLNESS. A gypsy woman, Askella Price, who died at the age of 107, was buried at Cardiff Thursday. She was the widow of Josiah Price, a member a gypsy family, vvho lived for many years in a caravan. "

Fill ye boots on ways not to get cancer!

you reckon they will ever really come up with a cure for Cancer though - I mean you imagine how many people would stand to loose their jobs that are in Cancer research and the drugs companies as well

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Diesel car emissions, lucky our sensible government encouraged their use through low taxation and fuel duty so now over 2 in every 3 cars sold are diesel :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Diesel car emissions, lucky our sensible government encouraged their use through low taxation and fuel duty so now over 2 in every 3 cars sold are diesel :rolleyes:

whats more poisonous petrol or diesel vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

dunno whether another myth - woman kept hitting/knocking her breast of something repeatidly over time and got breast cancer right in that spot at a later date - she never apparently ever smoked - might be the repeated injury in the same spot - could be something in it maybe?

What was the constant injury in the same part of her breast? Titty **** on the same spot Mondays, flick the nipple for 2 hours straight Thursdays??? Rubbish though how can you injure the exact same spot all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

you reckon they will ever really come up with a cure for Cancer though - I mean you imagine how many people would stand to loose their jobs that are in Cancer research and the drugs companies as well

No, because cancer is an umbrella term for a vast range of conditions. They will be knocked down one by one. This is already happening. The survival rate for all cancers is now more than 50%, double what it was in the 1970s. Pharma still seems to make a profit though.

What was the constant injury in the same part of her breast? Titty **** on the same spot Mondays, flick the nipple for 2 hours straight Thursdays??? Rubbish though how can you injure the exact same spot all the time?

haha :D - something to do with her job i think, she worked on a production line and kept whacking her boob on something - I dunno it was some time ago i read about it ... contrary to belief i dunno everything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The lottery of who your parents are, as genetics play a big role too.
    I know my cancer risk is low apart from skin cancer so I wear my sunscreen to help me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Stigura wrote: »
    16 May 1923

My father's birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

[qtuote="Andy From Sligo;100815682"]we have all heard about the dangers of smoking and that it can give you cancer but I wonder how many other have ever pondered and thought about other things we ingest or are subjected to on a daily basis - do you reckon theres any truth in it?

heres my (crackpot maybe) take on it:

We spray deodorants and perfumes, shaving foam, soaps, make-up and moisturisers and god knows what else into our skins, and washing powders and softener that goes onto your clothes and then them chemicals seeping in through your skin as you wear them ... now what if all those chemicals seep in through your skin , then go in your blood stream - I dunno, I suppose (if our kidneys are working ok) we pee all the chemicals out and we are OK.

Then we ingest vegetables that have been sprayed with god knows what and eat processed (not natural) food on a regular basis most of us.

And thats without all the radio waves, mobile phone masts , overhead electricity powerlines etc and cars and other vehicles pumping out toxic fumes.

But I does sort of like makes you have another take on maybe why people who have never smoked at all in their lives get cancer doesnt it?

If there is truth in any of this or is there any way apart from living on a desert Ireland and not using any soaps or anything to try and avoid cancer?

I dont fret about it personally, but Im just saying it does make you think ..... dont you think?[/quote]

All allowed by current practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Everything does apparently.

One week's killer is next week's saviour.

Last week red wine saves ya, but next week it's lethal.

Chocolate is cancerous, but a few days later dark chocolate has anti-cancerous properties.

They don't know. They will one day. In the interim period, eat lots of chocolate, drink lots of wine and enjoy your short time on this earth because something will kill you one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,838 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Frying and cooking with polyunsaturated oils. Hydrogenated anything.

heres another one I cant make me mind up whether truth or myth - read somewhere that if your person that gets run down a lot / always ill /always low in general health / low resistance are more at risk of getting Cancer and also negative people and worriers or stress can bring on Cancer - any truth in it you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Stigura wrote: »
    16 May 1923
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    My father's birthday!

:pac: High Fives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Taking selfies on your smartphone ( and posting them on facebook )

All that fake smiling ( the wrinkling up of the skin ) is really really bad for you and can cause mealoma.

Everyone should stop doing this immediately.

If your a really nice person and not a total cu*t then post this post on your facebook page help the message go viral. It will save lives. And you'll go to heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only my take... But in about 20 years or so something will be proven to cause cancer that we haven't a single clue about right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

mad muffin wrote: »
    cunelingus

If you do it like you spell it, we're all in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Stress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

whats more poisonous petrol or diesel vehicles?

Diesel fumes are far worse for human health than petrol.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/27/diesel-engine-fumes-worse-petrol

The problem is our Government has been pushing the diesel car for years now which will lead to a spike in lung cancer in the cities in the coming years.
    The link between lung cancer and diesel fumes is widely recognised and is the reason places like Paris are trying to outlaw Diesel engined private cars by 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/11280067/London-will-follow-Paris-and-ban-diesel-cars-campaigners-warn.html

In short- if you cycle in Dublin city you should wear one of those filter masks.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    In short- if you cycle in Dublin city you should wear one of those filter masks.

Do you breathe different air if you're inside a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

we have all heard about the dangers of smoking and that it can give you cancer but I wonder how many other have ever pondered and thought about other things we ingest or are subjected to on a daily basis - do you reckon theres any truth in it?

heres my (crackpot maybe) take on it:

We spray deodorants and perfumes, shaving foam, soaps, make-up and moisturisers and god knows what else into our skins, and washing powders and softener that goes onto your clothes and then them chemicals seeping in through your skin as you wear them ... now what if all those chemicals seep in through your skin , then go in your blood stream - I dunno, I suppose (if our kidneys are working ok) we pee all the chemicals out and we are OK.

Then we ingest vegetables that have been sprayed with god knows what and eat processed (not natural) food on a regular basis most of us.

And thats without all the radio waves, mobile phone masts , overhead electricity powerlines etc and cars and other vehicles pumping out toxic fumes.

But I does sort of like makes you have another take on maybe why people who have never smoked at all in their lives get cancer doesnt it?

If there is truth in any of this or is there any way apart from living on a desert Ireland and not using any soaps or anything to try and avoid cancer?

I dont fret about it personally, but Im just saying it does make you think ..... dont you think?

Forget about your deodorants / perfumes / vegetables. Its been reported that the effects of stress on the body are as bad as smoking and smoking gives you cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

learn_more wrote: »
    If your a really nice person and not a total cu*t then post this post on your facebook page help the message go viral.

Do this within 24 hours or your face will shrivel up and you will get 1 melanoma for every hour that exceeds the 24 hour period without you sharing on facebook.

Correction above.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Microwaving food

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Only my take... But in about 20 years or so something will be proven to cause cancer that we haven't a single clue about right now.
    If only scientists could be as sure about what causes cancer as they are about the cause of climate change we would all live longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

seamusk84 wrote: »

Do you breathe different air if you're inside a car?

Cars have air filters. Better than nothing.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If only scientists could be as sure about what causes cancer as they are about the cause of climate change we would all live longer.

I'm sure the comparison is intended to be provocative, but even with a better idea of the causes of cancer I'm not sure it would make much difference. We know that poor diet, alcohol, smoking and lack of exercise are the major risk factors for a whole raft of diseases, but many people still don't fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

In my case it was simply hormones. Can't really do much to avoid them :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nano technology will allow doctors to target individual cells in the future. In the future we'll probably have an army of them inside us that can attack cancerous cells as they pop up. I don't think we'll ever really be able to totally prevent cancer from happening, especially when cells have to be continually replicating themselves. It's really not surprising that over the course of billions of cloning procedures there are some mistakes. In reality it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.

Advertisement