Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollybank Road, Drumcondra

• 27-05-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I am looking for any records for Francis/Frank Marnane/Murnane and his family.

Here he is on the 1911 Census

According to the Electoral Rolls, the family moved house from 51 to 35 Hollybank Road, Drumcondra. Molly was registered to vote in 1913 at 35 Hollybank Road..

On Irishgenealogy, there is a wedding for a Francis Marnane & Mary Ward which looks good for him, although the parish name in Co. Tipp looks odd. They had 4 children Mary/Molly, Catherine, Evelyn & John although I don't see any baptisms for them.

I haven't researched anyone in Dublin before so unsure if more resources available.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Am I reading the marriage record right? His name was Francis Murnane but his parents were Patrick and Kate Ryan?

City of Dublin was smaller than you'd think 100 years ago, so the kids might have been born in the county.

Where are they in 1901? I've just had a quick look and no sign of them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks,

I assume that his parents were Patrick Marnane & Kate Ryan.

Here he is on the 1901 census
    Children listed as born in Co. Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

possible birth on the BMD Index for youngest child :

Name: Evelyn Mary Marnane
    Event Type: Birth
    Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1891
    Registration District: Dublin South
    Volume : 2 / Page : 504

Dublin south district covers not just south Dublin city, and extends south west as far as the Co. Kildare border

a baptism for a likely child named Anne to that Francis and Kate - St. Mary's, Marlborogh Street

Anne Angela Marriane of 35 Henry St. - 6 October 1893

The image looks like it could be Marnane

Yes, that looks right Shane, thanks.

Was Hollybank Road a residential/commercial road? The girls were involved in the drapery business and Francis was a commercial traveler in drapery.

• Advertisement

Shane, great spot! That is Marnane okay. Many thanks.

montgo wrote: »
    Yes, that looks right Shane, thanks.

Was Hollybank Road a residential/commercial road? The girls were involved in the drapery business and Francis was a commercial traveler in drapery.

will check, but as far as I remember primarily residential. By coincidence a relative lived on the same street in 1911 as a lodger and his occupation is a 'Draper Assistant'

possible death for that child I mentioned :

Name: Annie Angelus Marnane
    Event Type: Death
    Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1894
    Registration District: Dublin North
    Reported Age: 0 (i.e. less than 1)
    Volume :2 / Page : 423

It looks like maybe Francis did not start off as a commercial traveler, but may have run a business at that address where the family lived at the time of Anne's baptism - i.e. 35 Henry St.

35 Henry St., Dublin City, Marnane, Frank, draper, costume and mantle warehouse*

src : Thom's 1894 (* a warehouse in this context is the equiv. to a dept. store)

Maybe all the drapery assistants lived on Hollybank Road.

I might have just found a death record for Francis. Looks like a good match.

Name: Francis Murnane
    Event Type: Death
    Event Date: Apr - Jun 1912
    Event Place: Rathdown, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1912
    Registration District: Rathdown
    Birth Year (Estimated): 1851
    Volume Number: 2
    Page Number: 663

That's great. I wonder who/what is at 35 Henry St now?
    So the drapery business continued might have continued for some years.
    Many thanks for that.

• Advertisement

....Registration District: Rathdown

looks like they moved again, that registration district covers South East Co. Dublin (Cabinteely, Blackrock, Sandyford, Goatstown, Dundrum, Dún Laoghaire etc), or could also be north east Co. Wicklow (Bray, Delgany etc)

Annie's buried in Glasnevin (pay website) - age 4 months, so there may be a family plot

edit : based on the search index, the address for entry is def. not 35 Henry St., seems to be 1 Rutland Place (just off Parnell Sq.)

So with the Glasnevin cemetery, if the option of "extended" is available, does that guarantee that other people were buried there?

I dont believe you will be offered extended unless there are other burials in the same grave - they could however be unrelated.

no sign that I see listed in Glasnevin of that possible Francis that dies 1912

edit : but there is a Mary Marnane age 33, buried 1893... will try to work out address

Yes, I searched for Francis as well with no luck.

I will look for Annie's mother who must have died between 1894 & 1901 before investing my 8 euros.

shanew wrote: »
    no sign that I see listed in Glasnevin of that possible Francis that dies 1912

edit : but there is a Mary Marnane age 33, buried 1893... will try to work out address

that has to be her - the address is matching 35 Henry st.

Super, fingers crossed that there were further burials in the same plot.
    Many thanks Shane for your help.

Okay, we have:-
    Francis Marnane, Draper's son, 1892, 35 Henry St.
    Mary Marnane, Draper's wife 1893, 35 Henry St
    Annie Marnane, Draper's child, 1894, 1 Rutland Place, Clontarf
    Patrick Ward, Horse Trader, 1899, Moore St. (probable brother to Mary)
    Evelyn Marnane, Spinster, 1985, Cabra Drive, Dublin 7.

There was one further person buried in the same plot in 1858 who does would appear not to be connected.

So hoping that John, Mary & Catherine might have married but not too hopeful.

...Annie Marnane, Draper's child, 1894, 1 Rutland Place, Clontarf

Thought that might have been a mis-transcription or a mixup with a line above or below that entry at first, but turns out that in addition to the Rutland place close to Henry St. there was also a Rutland place in Clontarf

I checked Hollybank listings from 1906 and 1914, and all residential - no businesses or even shops that I could find

• Advertisement

Shane, are there any other Irish Catholic Directories available later than 1920?

An update on John Marnane b. circa 1887 to Francis Marnane.

On the 1901 Census, John is living at home in Hollybank Road with his parents, age 14. According to an obituary, he was attending Clonliffe College (seminary?) in 1908 which his aunt Catherine died in Tipperary. I found a possible John Murnane, age 22, a medical student on the 1911 Census.

At the time of his Aunt Mary's death in 1916, Rev John was based in Bray and there is an entry on the 1920 Irish Catholic Directory for a Rev John Marnane who was chaplain to St. Joseph's Orphanage, Kingstown.

I only have very early Catholic directories - i.e. 1830s, for later dates I use Thom's which have an Ecclesiastical listing of priests and ministers, as well listing by diocese and parish. These are mainly those in parishes, other priests can be more difficult to spot, but they may appear in separate entries attached to Hospitals, Workhouses, Orphanages, Prisons etc.

In the Thom's 1923 Catholic Index there's a John Marnane listed at 25 Rathmines Road, Dublin which is the address of the presbytery beside SS. Mary & Peter's but he's not listed as a PP or CC under Rathmines in the Ecclesiastical directory. He does appear in the street listing for the address along with the other priests as 'Rev. John Mornane C.C.'

Thx for taking the time to look for Rev. John. That Rathmines listing looks good for him. The name was not that common - only 670 x Marnane/Murnane/Mornane and 29 x Mournane on the 1911 Census.

he's gone from the Rathmines address by 1930, and appears in the Index as 'John Marnane, Dublin Greystones', Dublin being the Diocese rather than county, and Greystones his post-town. In the parish listing he's shown as the C.C. for Greystones parish. The parish is not mentioned in the 1923 edition so seems to have been established after then, probably from parts of Kilquade and/or Bray

I skipped over '27 but will see if I can locate him in that directory also, then move on to the 1938...

Shane, d'on't spend any more of your time searching as I have found the following:-
    Greystones have a 2008 centenary parish magazine on line and Rev. Marnane is listed as a curate. I will contact them and they might give have some details on him.

Thank you so much for the Greystones link.

Shane, d'on't spend any more of your time searching as I have found the following:-
    Greystones have a 2008 centenary parish magazine on line and Rev. Marnane is listed as a curate. I will contact them and they might give have some details on him.

Thank you so much for the Greystones link.

interesting read, thanks - wonder why the parish goes missing from some of the later Thom's listings... I can see it listed from about 1910, with P.P. as the Michael Flood mentioned.

Yes, it was an interesting start for the Parish of Greystones.

While search for brother of Francis Marnane who was a priest in Christchurch, I decided to check on the news archives for Aus/NZ. I found a reference to a John Marnane from Dublin been ordained in Rome in 1915! If it were John from Drumcondra, it might explain why I couldn't find a good match for him on the 1911 Census.

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mia Tralee

Can who ever is looking for Francis Marnane please contact me Mary O'Connor Fr. John Marnane died in 1958 in Dublin I have his memorial card. Actually I can account for his sisters' as well. He was a cousin of my granfather John O'Connor of Cahir. This John was ordined in Rome in 1915

Advertisement