Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Findmypast Workhouse records

Options
  • 12-05-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

These records have been online for a few weeks now and I find them facinating reading. I wonder would anyone know what 'Cab. Case' would mean. It is mostly seen in the column 'disability or disease'.

Many thanks in advance.

Robyn15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hasta

Hi Robyn15
    Apparently, it means that the person had to be transported to the workhouse in a cab provided by the union, in other words were too ill to get there under their own steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I just hopped into these today. They were on Origins.net I think and they've been dripping up that content as part of that new stuff Friday thing they do. The scans are amazing with rich additional information.

They are harrowing however. I've found my great great grand uncle in there. He disappeared off the records after his baptism but it turns out he was left in North Dublin Union just as the rest of the family went to the USA (where most of them died and two came back).

Samuel Brunkard is listed as a lunatic which I'm sure was the catch-all term the Victorians used for someone for a mental disability. He dies aged 8 years old, three years after admittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Just found them today - FMP sends a friday update. Some great stuff, including my great grandmother and her sister who both spent time time in the workhouse with their 'bastard' children.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The workhouse records are entirely new - they weren't on Origins (RIP!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

I have quite a few relatives associated with various "workhouses". None as inmates, fortunately, but as elected Guardians for various Poor Law Unions. That being so, I wonder if the available records include the minutes of board meetings, or not?
    Also, I seem to recall that the coverage of the workhouse records was very limited when first released - mainly Dublin? Did they ever extend the geographic range?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

from what I can see they just have the Dublin admission records for three unions - Dublin North, Dublin South and Rathdown (Dublin/Wicklow), plus admission registers for Sligo (town), they also have Board Of Guardians Minute Books for the four Dublin based unions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd check the local papers for minutes - my mothers family were suppliers (butchers) to the Borrisokane district and minutes were frequently recorded in the Nenagh Guardian.

Chieftain - please don't resurrect old threads just to add your two cents.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Chieftain - please don't resurrect old threads just to add your two cents.

Hi Pinky - just wondering why this rule exists? Sometimes it's useful to resurrect old threads as it can save people reinventing the wheel so to speak. The reason I mention it is on a facebook page recently someone asked a question and lots of people spent time looking up information, when in fact the topic had already been discussed at length and a lot of the same information had been given in the earlier thread. Talk about wasted effort!

Well, in this case, it's easy to look at FMP for the answer.

But more seriously, there's a lot of reasons why we don't resurrect zombie threads which may include:

• Context - adding to an old conversation can be confusing and frustrating if you started to read the thread at the start and then realise it's old and possibly no longer relevant
    • the OP may no longer post on boards
    • The OP may have resolved this problem already
    • The new poster may just be looking to increase his/her post count

If in doubt, ask me first in a pm.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement