Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing off Jobseekers Benefit for one week

Options
  • 18-09-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm new to Jobseekers Benefit and apologies if this has already been asked....

I have been offered 1 weeks work so I need to sign off for that week. However this is only for one week as the person is going on holidays and is not going through the books.

I'm just wondering what questions will social welfare ask? Obviously I don't want to get the other person into trouble. Will they want details of where I'm working? Will I have to reapply after the week? Again I will have no paperwork to back up a new claim.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm new to Jobseekers Benefit and apologies if this has already been asked....

I have been offered 1 weeks work so I need to sign off for that week. However this is only for one week as the person is going on holidays and is not going through the books.

I'm just wondering what questions will social welfare ask? Obviously I don't want to get the other person into trouble. Will they want details of where I'm working? Will I have to reapply after the week? Again I will have no paperwork to back up a new claim.

Thanks in advance for your help
    If ur not been put through the books and there's no way of them knowing maybe just don't tell them cos they will want proof and it will show up on the system that the payment never went through revenue, yes this is the dishonest answer but if its not been put through books u might be better off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

phelo2121 wrote: »
    If ur not been put through the books and there's no way of them knowing maybe just don't tell them cos they will want proof and it will show up on the system that the payment never went through revenue, yes this is the dishonest answer but if its not been put through books u might be better off!

Benefit fraud is not to be taken lightly =/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

phelo2121 banned from forum for advocating SW fraud. Posters are reminded to read forum charter before posting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

OP you need to let SW know you will be working - they can then suspend your payment while you are working. This saves you from having to make a new claim once the work is finished. All you need when the week's work is up is a letter from someone in the company stating the dates you worked there and that you have now finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cee_jay wrote: »
    All you need when the week's work is up is a letter from someone in the company stating the dates you worked there and that you have now finished.
    I think phelo2121's point was that if doing the work is off the books, this will be hard to do.

OP: it depends if you take long term or short term view?
    Short term; you get extra money.
    Long term; you may be found out, and kicked off SW for not declaring the income. It may be your first week, but SW may just see it as "another" undeclared week.

IMO, talk to the SW. They will know about nixers these days, and will be able to advise you best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Thanks guys.......I'll just give SW a ring and see what the story is.
    I would prefer to be honest......and surely SW would prefer that I tell them I am working for cash (& saving them money) rather than claiming a fraudulent payment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

As it is only a weeks work, the employer may be able to employ you as a self employed consultant. You can declare the income to revenue, and SW. The employer gets to put the money against his income. It would be legal for everyone and save the employer the cost of setting you up on payroll etc. Ask him to check with his account would it be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the employer may be able to employ you as a self employed consultant
    If you go this route, ensure you pay the "full" tax rate, not the self-employed tax rate, as I think the latter stops you from being able to claim SW?

Advertisement