Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG2 tv and Sky+

Options
  • 25-08-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

OK I'm not sure which forum this should be posted in.
    I'm just wondering would an MPEG2 tv be alright working as a second tv. The plan would be to have the same program in the sitting room and the kitchen. I haven't a clue how to go about it but is it possible with a MPEG2 tv in the first place ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're using Sky then the tuner in the TV is irrelevant, you'll be sending the signal via HDMI (HD) or SCART (non-HD) cable so MPEG2/MPEG4 doesn't matter, you won't be using the TV tuner.

MPEGx only matters if you're plugging an aerial into the TV to pick up the over the air signal from your local transmitter. With cable or Sky it doesn't matter what MPEG the TV supports because you're bypassing the built-in tuner and feeding the picture and sound direct from the Sky or cable box.

Once the TV has an input port (HDMI or SCART) which matches the output port on the Sky box you're in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Thanks. Just the 2 tv's will be on opposite ends of the house so how would I get a hdmi cable between them without trailing a wire all over the place. Have I any other options ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to post a question over on the satellite forum, you'll get the experts over there who can sort you out.

Even if you can find a HDMI cable long enough, aren't you risking all-out war if the channel has to be the same in two different rooms - who will own the remote? Can you split the signal from the Sky box to two HDMI cables?

I have cable TV so don't know all of the options with a Sky box.

Describe your setup and post a question on the satellite forum, avoid all mention of MPEG or they'll ignore you (that's for the Terrestrial forum) but do say that you're HD and will be using HDMI cables.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

coylemj wrote: »
    You need to post a question over on the satellite forum, you'll get the experts over there who can sort you out.

Even if you can find a HDMI cable long enough, aren't you risking all-out war if the channel has to be the same in two different rooms - who will own the remote? Can you split the signal from the Sky box to two HDMI cables?

I have cable TV so don't know all of the options with a Sky box.

Describe your setup and post a question on the satellite forum, avoid all mention of MPEG or they'll ignore you (that's for the Terrestrial forum) but do say that you're HD and will be using HDMI cables.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Yeah I'll ask over there thanks. As for splitting the signal,.I don't think you can from one Sky box and I've only a 2yo to fight with over the channels haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

You could buy a cheap HDMI splitter and HDMI baluns and run it to the other side of the house over cat5/6 if you want to maintain a HD picture. Depends on the box you have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement