Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what extra curricular activities are in your school

• 14-09-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering what extra curricular activities are available in your school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

You've opened up a right can of worms there OP,because I, for one,feel that teachers en masse should withdraw this free service in the light of the way we have been treated by our employer,the media,the NPC and in some cases our very own students. In Europe,where teacher pay and conditions are better than they are in Ireland, there is little, if any, culture of voluntary extra curricular.

But since you ask, my school offers the whole range of sports in addition to drama,debating,lunchtime clubs,you name it. And all provided free of charge and totally taken for granted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

All sorts of sports including non-competitive badminton and table tennis.
    Green Schools, Model UN (or maybe EU?), Gaisce, debating in 4 languages, linguistics, chess, board games/quizzes, coding, science club, every language has a club once a week at lunchtime, dressmaking, drama, public speaking, choirs, orchestras. trad group, modern dance, Irish dancing, film club, book club and I'm sure there are many many more that I can't think of. I can't actually think of a staff member who is not involved in at least 2 extra curricular activities. We offer a lot of our own time to our students and that's before orals, practicals and being asked to sit down with Mary at lunchtime to go over something she is unsure of. We only ever have a maximum of half of our staff in the lunchroom at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

vamos! wrote: »
    Green Schools, Model UN (or maybe EU?), Gaisce, debating in 4 languages, linguistics, chess, board games/quizzes, coding, science club, every language has a club once a week at lunchtime, dressmaking, drama, public speaking, choirs, orchestras. trad group, modern dance, Irish dancing, film club, book club and I'm sure there are many many more that I can't think of. I can't actually think of a staff member who is not involved in at least 2 extra curricular activities. We offer a lot of our own time to our students and that's before orals, practicals and being asked to sit down with Mary at lunchtime to go over something she is unsure of. We only ever have a maximum of half of our staff in the lunchroom at lunchtime.

Anyone shouting stop in your staff room? Our own worst enemy seriously and I know most of that is probably done by younger lemming like staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

vamos! wrote: »

Vamos please don't think I'm having a go at you but that post really appals me.What hope have we of ever getting back a decent work/ life balance for teachers,a balance that is vital for mental,physical and emotional well being,if there are teachers like those in your school literally prostrating themselves to offer more and more of themselves! This is a much bigger problem than many people seem to realise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It depends on how you define extra curricular, some primary school sites I've seen have listed things like science (?!!) and PE which are done during the school day as part of class time. I have also seen schools list after school activities for which people must pay as part of this provision.

Some of the things we do are "half in-half out-ish" would be coding, Fís, Write a Book, trad music -and the likes of Scór, Junior Entrepreneur, gardening ,green/active schools flag, debating- all be done partly in class time and partly through teachers' breaks.

Our primary does the following totally unpaid and totally in our own time after school:

Gaelic football- boys and girls
    Basketball
    Hurling, camogie
    Quizzes
    Choir and concerts
    Sacramental preparation ceremonies and the sacraments themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

do any schools do anything along the lines of strength and conditioning for students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Our school runs S&C sessions for students.
    Most are rugby players but some would be runners/throwers/swimmers/gaa players.

It's a disgrace that most schools in Ireland don't have gyms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I find in my place its established teachers do extra curricular whilst newer ones focus on preparing classes they have never taught. Also its peoples own interests that i notice they get involved in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

TheDriver wrote: »
    I find in my place its established teachers do extra curricular whilst newer ones focus on preparing classes they have never taught. Also its peoples own interests that i notice they get involved in.
    Good lord, yes, why would you involve yourself in something you dislike , on your own time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Good lord, yes, why would you involve yourself in something you dislike , on your own time.

Because maybe you were asked in the initial job interview...
    "would you be willing to get involved and help out the other teacher with x,y,z"...
    and you say "naaa not my thing...."
    "Okayyyyy..., we'll be in touch later on in the week to let you know how you got on , (not), Next candidate please"

Ya we mostly have everything (sportswise anyhow),

chess! that's a tough one to get going.

Anyone ever done poker?

• Advertisement
Advertisement