Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

what would the pitch be like in Salthill? Got a text there that there will be an early morning inspection but its unplayable currently! Hardly be the case would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

yop wrote: »
    what would the pitch be like in Salthill? Got a text there that there will be an early morning inspection but its unplayable currently! Hardly be the case would it?

Hard to know. It was constantly raining today though. Time will tell but sure they could always relocate to Tuam anyways, some memories in that place!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have to say its dumped an amazing amount of rain around here today, so its possible, I THINK that Pearse does have a problem with flooding.
    Tuam! Will you stop, that place was nuts. When we knocked them out after their AI win it was hilarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

yop wrote: »

It's one of the worst pitches in Connacht i'd say after all todays rain the game in is the balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

id say they will be under pressure to have it on with it being on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Also heard that Kevin Keane may not be fit to start, and Tom Cunniffe will take his place if hes not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

It's one of the worst pitches in Connacht i'd say after all todays rain the game in is the balance.

Jaysis I thought it was an unreal surface the last time I walked on it. Thought was a lot better than Castlebar but saying that, with all this rain it wont be great tomorrow especially for the Senior game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That's complete and utter nonsense. I've played on it in the depths of winter a couple of times and it has been perfect. It's a great pitch. The wind and traffic are the issues with Salthill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

They really need to think about removing the Connacht junior final from the bill if the pitch is borderline because it'll be tore to shreds no matter how good a field it is by the time the senior game starts.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    They really need to think about removing the Connacht junior final from the bill if the pitch is borderline because it'll be tore to shreds no matter how good a field it is by the time the senior game starts.

Have heard nothing this morning but still lot of floods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Well, have to be happy with that result. While its nice to put a good margin over the neighbours, It's a shame to see Galway having fallen from grace so much and no doubt they will return, but they do appear to be in dire straits right now.

Anyway, this day is Mayo's day and its good to see Dillon and Andy Moran back. Great to see Andy score a goal and that will to the world of good for his confidence. He was only on 10 minutes so its hard to say how he is otherwise. Vaughan had a good day today too, he's taken a lot of flak here and elsewhere, some of it deserved, but he is a quality player and is more than capable of creating and taking scores.

I'm not going to get too excited as the game was over as a contest at half time, but I'll enjoy the victory nonetheless!.

Maigh Eo Abú!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Andy Moran was VERY emotional coming off the pitch. Great to see him back. Maigh Eo Abu

Mighty to see Andy back, the emotion after he scored the goal was wonderful. One hell of a long road run just to be there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Terrific performance by Mayo, the forwards were just superb in terms of workrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Aidan O Shea was magnificent today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

"The most over-celebrated 4th goal" - Andy Moran
    Ia3id3J.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Well I was not expecting that! Absolutely delighted especially to see dillon and moran back. Moran got some cheer comin on..... have to disagree about aidan having a great game. He was decent but not at all as good as usual. The few times the ball went his way on the kickout he failed to catch it straight from the air.

Well done to the forwards. They stepped up to the mark today

I didn't expect that. Were we unreal good or Galway unreal bad? All you can do is beat whats in front of you. Everything went for us on the day, delighted for Andy Moran but also for Varley, Carolan and Coen who played very well today. AOS was quite enough, did what he had to do. Thought McHale had a good game when he came on.
    Lot of positives.
    Maybe we should have buried them totally when we had such possession and extra numbers. But the goals "issue" is well and truly behind us.

Not mentioned here but whats the thoughts on Marty Duffy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Duffy was poor IMO.

Huge contrast between the control Deegan had on the Armagh Cavan game and Duffy's control.

Duffy threw cards around sometimes randomly. 2 Reds were straightforward, but he was very tough on Mayo.

Gave a few frees to Galway that clearly should have been Mayo frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mayo got zero credit on the Sunday game for a thoroughly professional demolition of a team man including their newest recruit O Hara and Spillane tipped to beat them. Probably as well off but annoying nonetheless

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Duffy was poor IMO.

Huge contrast between the control Deegan had on the Armagh Cavan game and Duffy's control.

Duffy threw cards around sometimes randomly. 2 Reds were straightforward, but he was very tough on Mayo.

Gave a few frees to Galway that clearly should have been Mayo frees.

I have to say I thought so too but figured it was my own bias skewed this a bit. To be fair, he's not a ref Mayo fans expect much from.

km79 wrote: »
    Mayo got zero credit on the Sunday game for a thoroughly professional demolition of a team man including their newest recruit O Hara and Spillane tipped to beat them. Probably as well off but annoying nonetheless

It was odd to see Brolly being the only one today to give us credit. Fair play to the man. Must bode well for the summer.

Wouldn't mind them dicks on the Sunday Game, they are watching Dunphy etc and trying to keep themselves in a job by trying to be controversial, they proved it today by 2 of them backing Galway.

Duffy was embarrassing, I thought it may have been me but he was so blatantly against it, not for the 1st time in a game he "officiated" at. In a closer game he would have cost us and could easily have sent off one of our lads by crazy yellows, the yellow to freeman for a pull, where he was blatantly been fouled was beyond ridiculous. If the ref who assess these has any brain they will kick this imp out of reffing games.
    He lives on the Mayo/Sligo border and the guy must obviously have had a Mayo bird give him the flick, but he will go on to cost us.
    Sorry if I sound like a ranting plum, but this must be the 3rd or 4th game where has shown blatant bias.

Great win though, so 2 fingers to you little leprechaun Duffy

Blackjack wrote: »
    It was odd to see Brolly being the only one today to give us credit. Fair play to the man. Must bode well for the summer.

Bunch of pigs apparently :D Lol at the bitter texting in too saying Galway will win AI before Mayo. Maybe he could be right but twas :pac:

Overall we were good today but intensity wise for most of the game, it wasn't a patch on what we witnessed even in the league which is disappointing for Connacht football. Great to see the goals flying in again, Andy's return and what a goal!. Nice cameo from Coen and Burke too. And tik a bow captain fantastic (for the day) Keith Higgins

Clarke was your captain!

Syferus wrote: »
    Clarke was your captain!

Nope Higgins lead us today in the March and was announced earlier on in the week too. Sunday game forgot though

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Nope Higgins lead us today in the March and was announced earlier on in the week too. Sunday game forgot though

Gah. Well I should have expected that after Marty called Thomas Flynn 6'8'' about ten times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

One other thing I had forgotten about until WJ mentioned it on his blog...the Galway warm up session before the game. I couldn't believe what I was watching, 20 metre dashes and then random half arsed shooting at the posts.

Down the other end Mayo had split into two groups and were knocking lumps out of each other in warm up mini games. The Galway warm up was more like a Junior B effort.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether Mulholland has any chance of taking Galway forward. It's a tough one, because you can't just keep changing the manager, but there's a big difference between grouping a bunch of young lads together to win an Under 21 and the commitment and attention to detail needed to be a top manager at senior level these days. Kevin Walsh has his critics and they may have a point, but he would at least add a bit of steel and tactical nous to the natural ability that should start to show in the panel in the next few years. Mulholland seems far too traditional (nicer word for outdated) in his approach.

Agree 100% good post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good win for Mayo, you guys should be happy to get zero credit for the win, Mayo was mentioned as a top five side a good bit on the panel, they are regarded as a top team now and they played as expected, the interesting/sad subject was how bad Galway were. We learned little about Mayo apart from the good news that there is a near full panel available.

With the fitness and numeric advantage alone Mayo would have won comfortably, never mind the better players, offering credit to Mayo would have almost been patronising IMHO.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Terrific performance by Mayo, the forwards were just superb in terms of workrate.

That's bit harsh after winning away to our best rivals by 17 points:pac:

I do get what your saying though as overall, Mayo showed some good to very good build up play and decision making but there was a lot of sloppy unforced errors too that would be punished (and have already been in the league) by better teams. Other than sorting the problem of scoring goals, that performance was no better than any of our displays in the league but the opposition today especially from 1-9 were dire so it was an easy win in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Delighted with yesterdays results and for the most part the display.

I though they would win by 5 or 6 but never imagined 17.

The display was good but there was still a good few wayward passes, particularly into the corners that were far too long for the intended target.

Pat Spillane was on about them not going for the jugular and scoring 10 gaols and 100 points like the likes of Kerry would do, but that is BS as usual from Pat, I have never seen Kerry run up the score v Clare or Waterford, everyone takes their foot off the pedal.

Good to see a wide spread of scores also, but then again you have to look at how poor Galway were.
    Good to see some fringe guys get game time too near the end.

That being said I am no more excited about this teams chances for 2013 as I was before the game, the Connuaght Championship should be a case of going through the motions for a team that have eyes on an All Ireland, and yesterday was the first step in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

Have to comment on the ref as well, and I'll keep doing it until the gob****es in the GAA remove him from inter-county games. I know Gaelic football is hard to ref and I have a lot of sympathy for refs in general but Duffy is an embarrassment to the game. He just has no appreciation of how the game should be played. I'd say the yellow card count was in double figures yesterday, and this in a game that barely had any intensity, never-mind a dirty game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Delighted for Mayo in that they really gelled as a team yesterday, they were disciplined and ruthless, something that was entirely missing before Horan took over. Hugely impressed with Boyle and Vaughan, both were pacey and seriously showed yesterday. Fair play to Cillian O'Connor for picking up man of the match but it could have easily gone to a few different players. Midfield was entirely dominant with McLoughlin hoovering up all the breaking ball around the middle. So much for the lack of firepower up front! I found it hard to believe that the pundits got it so wrong yesterday, what did O'Rourke and Spillane base their predictions of a Galway win on? Same old story with Mayo being under-rated.

Did anyone think that there were nearly more Mayo fans at the game yesterday than Galway? I was expecting a bigger turnout but I suppose it's early days in the championship yet. It does seem that Galway's fans have almost abandoned them though, I'd imagine there would have been a bigger turnout if it had been played in Tuam.

Delighted for Mayo in that they really gelled as a team yesterday, they were disciplined and ruthless, something that was entirely missing before Horan took over. Hugely impressed with Boyle and Vaughan, both were pacey and seriously showed yesterday. Fair play to Cillian O'Connor for picking up man of the match but it could have easily gone to a few different players. Midfield was entirely dominant with McLoughlin hoovering up all the breaking ball around the middle. So much for the lack of firepower up front! I found it hard to believe that the pundits got it so wrong yesterday, what did O'Rourke and Spillane base their predictions of a Galway win on? Same old story with Mayo being under-rated.

Did anyone think that there were nearly more Mayo fans at the game yesterday than Galway? I was expecting a bigger turnout but I suppose it's early days in the championship yet. It does seem that Galway's fans have almost abandoned them though, I'd imagine there would have been a bigger turnout if it had been played in Tuam.

As you say this team has an edge to them not seen before in Mayo, did you notice COC go in for a bit of 'afters' on the keeper after the Vaughan goal ?.

I think it was the result of something had happened between them a few mins earlier, but that type of in your face 'disciplined' aggression is not something you would have seen from a young Mayo lad in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Galway had a stand in full back on the day who wasn't up to the level and a couple of other defenders, more direct football out off defence would have eliminated a lot of the mistakes that led to the goals, galway were geared up to try and win midfield and mayo played short balls out to half backs time and time again and it worked every time and mulholland was too slow in stoping it. they are a young team and no leaders emerged when the heads dropped after going behind. This defeat will shake up the county board and management and in the long run will be the start of a new beginning, I recall a senior member of the 98 Galway team telling me that in the early 90's the abuse they got when they went to division 3 was shocking and if they had listened to the media and some supporters he would have walked away from football, they stuck with it and turned it around and it can be done again! Best of luck to mayo from here on! But all Ireland's aren't won in May!

V poor turnout from Gway fans. Then again some of the hype is still following us! :)

A lot of us got it miles wrong yesterday, though I read somewhere that Horan wanted to start the championship at a massive intensity and to continue it.

June 16th will tell us a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

tacofries wrote: »
    Well I was not expecting that! Absolutely delighted especially to see dillon and moran back. Moran got some cheer comin on..... have to disagree about aidan having a great game. He was decent but not at all as good as usual. The few times the ball went his way on the kickout he failed to catch it straight from the air.

Well done to the forwards. They stepped up to the mark today

To be fair to O'Shea, while he didn't catch many clean balls, you could see he was very obviously angling his breaks towards his own men. It was great to see. Too many midfielders go up to put a fist on it with no clue which direction it will break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

boyler should have got man of the match to day its easy to give it to a forward,but man galway where p1ss poor i was expecting us to beat them by a couple of points.iwas not expecting the game to be over at half time.
    i would have prefered a tougher game to be honest as we learned nothing from the game(well be sides duffy be a sh1te ref)

good to see dillion and moran back i dont under stand the craic of naming a team and starting a different one.a lot of people knew dillion was going to start as he has being flying in training so to name coen in his place was daft.

will moran start against roscommon i would give him more time to get his fitness back and to have him come on as a sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Missed the game yesterday as I was driving back down from Dublin after being in the US all last week, it sounded like a home game on the radio with the reaction of the Mayo fans every time Mayo scored and the radio nearly exploded when Andy Moran got his goal.

I spotted a good omen on Friday night as I was boarding my flight leaving Washington DC, out of the corner of my eye I saw an empty cardboard box with a very special code printed on the front:

mayo51.jpg?v=0rc-sdvzzRDtDlPTTX06T4MDqtP1-dRo7jqCJGcpQYyJbTR8=w279-h207-p-no

Not sure what Sam has been doing over in the USA but he might just be on his way home this year.

Arriving back at home 4 miles outside Tuam yesterday evening, I was very tempted to hang out my Mayo flag out the front window of the house but I thought that might be really rubbing it in for the locals :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I have all the photos from the match yesterday between Galway & Mayo uploaded to my online album here; http://pix.ie/mayomick/album/466305

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

What a win yesterday. Galway were poor but the Mayo lads deserve credit for being clinical and playing with an intensity that Galway couldn't handle. Even the pressure the forwards were putting on their backs was brilliant to see. I heard a lot of people saying our goals were from Galway mistakes, that's only partly true. Mayo were working their arses off all day. Even the forwards were chasing everything down. That kind of work-rate is invaluable. Apart from a ten minute spell in the second half, Galway were dominated all over the park by a team who looked like they wanted to make a statement of intent for the months ahead.
    Huge credit to Horan and his team and from Clarke to O'Connor, all brilliant.

Also, it was great to see Andy back, what an ovation he got. Same for Dillion when he was going off.
    Roscommon next but you have to enjoy the moment, not every day you beat your rivals by 17 points playing away from home. The future is bright, the future is green and red!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Best of luck to mayo from here on! But all Ireland's aren't won in May!

They are certainly lost in May though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Great result for Mayo, really unexpected that Galway would be so poor!

Tough for Mayo to keep this up for the whole summer though..

Great result for Mayo, really unexpected that Galway would be so poor!

Tough for Mayo to keep this up for the whole summer though..

Just schedule June 16th in for an off day and you can have a nice tour of Ireland through the back door before eventual AI triumph in September :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

They are certainly lost in May though

Actually not really as happened in 2001 for Galway when they won Sam McGuire via the back door, don't expect Sam but still in the championship maybe mayo and Galway could meet later in the competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Actually not really as happened in 2001 for Galway when they won Sam McGuire via the back door, don't expect Sam but still in the championship maybe mayo and Galway could meet later in the competition!

It will be at least a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ah now, is one hammering of Galway not enough? :(

Anyway well done Mayo it's a sweet one I'm sure when you hammer the old enemy by 17 points.

But it didn't tell us much about Mayo that we didn't already know. This was a shocking performance from Galway, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that we must be one of the worst teams in the country right now. Teams will want to draw us in the qualifiers. That's how bad it's gone.

I really hope Mayo can go all the way. Most Galway people (a few clowns excepted) will be behind ye. Horan has done a good job with this group of players and there's a lot to like about this Mayo team. The lack of a real marquee forward is still a bit of a concern. Is there a matchwinner there? That said, 4-16 is an impressive score no matter how bad Galway were.

For me this is the best Mayo team that I've seen and a team that has a chance to finally end the famine. I hope they do.

For our lads it's hard to see where we go from here. Carlow in the qualifiers would be a tricky one at this stage. I honestly wouldn't be confident of beating anyone bar maybe London.

Another point about Mayo performance on Sunday I liked was their ability to move the ball with pace, there was very little latteral had passing out of the backs and across the middle.

Well Prat Spillane said that the new trainer was going to make the difference to Mayo.

I see Trolley getting lambasted, rightly so, by the Armagh manager. I know he is only a Sh** stirrer but your man has threatened to boycott the RTE media.

Any word on the injuries of our lads?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement