Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Club Gear when no longer in Club - thoughts

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hi.... just wondering what your views on same.

I'm talking about Sportifs, Charity Cycles etc (not racing).....do you think the committee would frown on it OR welcome the free publicity it brings???

I not re-joining Club this year as I feel that I have got what I need out of it now. Also .. the programme of events don't suit my working hours and so there is few if any chances of getting out on Club spins. However - due to limited amount of cycling tops... I expect that I will wear the Club Gear going forward on leisurely spins and any charity gigs etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's your gear to wear. I would

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's your jersey. I've seen former club riders out without helmets in the past which doesn't give a good name to the club but ultimately, if you're not acting the goat I can see no reason why you shouldn't wear your jersey.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I can't see many clubs having a problem with it. I know mine certainly wouldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if a club did have an issue with it, they should be willing to offer refunds on the jerseys now no longer 'permitted'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Thanks All.... thats good to know. Of course I would always be flying the flag for the Club.

I don't really see any problems..... just wanted reassurances !

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

MugMugs wrote: »
    It's your jersey. I've seen former club riders out without helmets in the past which doesn't give a good name to the club but ultimately, if you're not acting the goat I can see no reason why you shouldn't wear your jersey.

Why does them not wearing a helmet give a bad name to the club? It's not illegal. Personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why does them not wearing a helmet give a bad name to the club? It's not illegal. Personal choice.

Club rule and sets a bad example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I think my club only has that as a rule on club spins. They're pretty good about not trying to run the rest of my life for me ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Lets not talk about helmets and peoples or clubs views on them in here, that is a discussion for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

I can't see any cyclist having a problem with this, you must be thinking of a different kind of biker club:

hboUhbY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Masala wrote: »
    I not re-joining Club this year as I feel that I have got what I need out of it now.
    Thoughts?

Ask not what your club can do for you..but what you can do for your club!..

just curious... What did you "get" out of your club that you no longer need?
    (besides the club kit that is)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ask not what your club can do for you..but what you can do for your club!..

just curious... What did you "get" out of your club that you no longer need?
    (besides the club kit that is)

I done 2 years of Starter Courses... So now feel it a waste to join the midweek beginners spins as they are too slow for me. The weekend spins are too quick for me... So am now between 2 stools!!!

Am spending more time meeting a few mates for ad hoc spins and so am not finding time to being a Club member per say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I done 2 years of Starter Courses... So now feel it a waste to join the midweek beginners spins as they are too slow for me. The weekend spins are too quick for me... So am now between 2 stools!!!

Am spending more time meeting a few mates for ad hoc spins and so am not finding time to being a Club member per say.

Would you lead the midweek beginners spins instead? Maybe suggest a middle/transition group?

No one will say anything about it to be honest, don't sweat it to much but there are other benefits that being in a club might bring, such as lifts to these charity cycles/sportifs, advice, help if possible etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I done 2 years of Starter Courses... So now feel it a waste to join the midweek beginners spins as they are too slow for me...
    Those club members helping out with introductory rides and intermediate rides would have been cycling at a pace which is much slower than their normal and they may have given up an opportunity to go on normal club spins to help out. If all club members had that attitude there would be no starter spins and eventually no club.

Those club members helping out with introductory rides and intermediate rides would have been cycling at a pace which is much slower than their normal and they may have given up an opportunity to go on normal club spins to help out. If all club members had that attitude there would be no starter spins and eventually no club.

As said in opening post... Working hours are not suiting the proposed programme for 2015 so I can't help even if I want to...... Life's a bitch sometimes.

Ps... Am I heavily involved in the GAA and give plenty of time on the committee as well as training the underage. No attitude problem here mate

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Hi Ho

As said in opening post... Working hours are not suiting the proposed programme for 2015 so I can't help even if I want to...... Life's a bitch sometimes.

Ps... Am I heavily involved in the GAA and give plenty of time on the committee as well as training the underage. No attitude problem here mate

You don't have to justify not being in a club to anybody.
    I'd have no problem wearing the gear while out training etc, but would be a bit iffy on events where you have to sign on etc. On the other hand plenty of people wear the gear of professional teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Hi Ho wrote: »
    You don't have to justify not being in a club to anybody.
    I'd have no problem wearing the gear while out training etc, but would be a bit iffy on events where you have to sign on etc. on the other hand plenty of people wear the gear of professional teams.

Are they not pros...?! :-)

Advertisement