Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ksyrium SLR V R-SYS SLR

• 30-12-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi all, as the title suggests I'm thinking of buying a set of wheels and am torn between the two in the title. Are the r-sys worth the extra money and will spoke maintenance be a pain in the ass. I have a set of cosmic sle already and love them but want a second set with the exalith (to make changing wheels easier and for stopping power). I race (or try to) and think a shallow set of lighter wheels for hilly races might be better than another deep set. One final question-can the campag ED11 be swapped out for the shimano/sram M11 does anyone know? Happy new year everyone and be safe out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've the kysrium slr's two years now on my race bike. Love them.
    Still on the original tires too believe it or not! But I'll be changing them (the tires) next year when she comes out of hibernation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Not sure about the wheels as haven't tried the r-sys but I can confirm that the freehub is easily interchangeable. In fact if you are running 11speed the same cassette can be used for Shimano/Sram and Campagnolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

I have the cosmic slrs and the Kysrium slrs for the same reason as you, interchangeability (?) without changing breakpads. You really do notice the difference in weight (when climbing). Had 2 rear spokes go on the Ksyrium in a year (the alu side). I personally had the same dilemma as you and just didn't think the R-sys were worth it plus possibility of having to get carbon spokes fixed. Ksyrium rear non drive side are carbon but the rest Alu (i think if i rem correctly). Also, there is something about carbon spokes having to go back to mavic or the dealer has to have some mavic training course done to fix with them so check out where they can be fixed before you buy! if your local shop can do the R-sys then it's just a question of money! i like the bladed spokes over the round ones too., in my head they should be more aero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Can I hi-jack the thread?

I am buying a new bike. It has Mavic R-sys slr wheels, and compatible brake pads.
    I have spare wheels for the new bike, Fulcrum Racing Zero, which have normal alloy braking surface.
    My question:
    Can I switch the wheels, without changing the brake pads?

I don't think so, will scream like a bitch!
    Eamonnator wrote: »

I am buying a new bike. It has Mavic R-sys slr wheels, and compatible brake pads.
    I have spare wheels for the new bike, Fulcrum Racing Zero, which have normal alloy braking surface.
    My question:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Will the brake pads damage the braking surface on the Fulcrums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

I think it is the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Eamonnator wrote: »

My question:

I had a set of SLR kyrsiums last year..
    Rode them on a few of my bikes throughout the summer and never changed pads...
    Used my standard campy pads in otherwords
    Braking was no different than with the exiath pads..
    They do screech a little but thy do with exiath pads too!!!
    The only down side I seem was a slight bit more wear ..
    Buts its marginal..
    But I suppose that's got a lot to do with how much you brake!!!!!

Note to SLR users...
    Keep the nipples at the rim lightly oiled occasionally ...they seize easily
    It's a common problem with most or the star type nipples on mavics but for some reason the beautiful black finish makes it worse on slr's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

Thanks folks for your imput. I guess I'm just trying to justify getting them ha ha. So there is a noticable difference in climbing, how about once you get up to speed (40kph+), are they good as deep sections to hold the speed? I found a set on or if the German websites for a shade under a grand so might pull the trigger once I sell my spare front 404. Dammit.......1/1/15 and I'm already spending lol.

Royles cycles in the UK hav a flash sale on the r-sys if interested. @50% off b quick tho I'd say

Smalltom wrote: »
    Hi all, as the title suggests I'm thinking of buying a set of wheels and am torn between the two in the title. Are the r-sys worth the extra money and will spoke maintenance be a pain in the ass. I have a set of cosmic sle already and love them but want a second set with the exalith (to make changing wheels easier and for stopping power). I race (or try to) and think a shallow set of lighter wheels for hilly races might be better than another deep set. One final question-can the campag ED11 be swapped out for the shimano/sram M11 does anyone know? Happy new year everyone and be safe out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Thanks folks. Ksyrium slr on the way.....late Xmas pressie from me to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

@smalltom how are those SLR's? Recommended?
    Thinking of getting a pair myself before the Sean Kelly.

Spins wrote: »
    @smalltom how are those SLR's? Recommended?
    Thinking of getting a pair myself before the Sean Kelly.

Hi Spins. An extremely sexy set of wheels that get a lot of comments. I haven't really used the rear a lot but pair the front with my deep rear for racing if it's windy. Actually did it at the crit in Birr last night. They are light and spin forever. I haven't put a wrench near them since I bought them and like my other Mavic wheels, the braking is brilliant in both the wet and dry. I'd recommend them anyway (like every person who drops a lot of money on something lol).

Advertisement