Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Headset Locknut removal

Options
  • 11-01-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I'm just rebuilding an old bike (strip down / re-spray). The lock nut on the headset is a tabbed lock nut (there are 3 indented tabs on the lock nut) and I'm just wondering if there is a specific tool/socket that can be used for it before I start trying some combination of tools to get it off.

I have photos but I can't post them as I'm a new user.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blamester

without a photo it"s hard to say but you could try a strap wrench instead of a marking the headset with a bodged together tool.
    Are you going to reuse the headset?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hi,

I'm just rebuilding an old bike (strip down / re-spray). The lock nut on the headset is a tabbed lock nut (there are 3 indented tabs on the lock nut) and I'm just wondering if there is a specific tool/socket that can be used for it before I start trying some combination of tools to get it off.

I have photos but I can't post them as I'm a new user.

Thanks

I think I know what your on about. My old bike had one of those before I replaced the headset.

Pretty sure I got a mallet and a flathead screwdriver and gently tapped it off. It won't be on tight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I think I know what your on about. My old bike had one of those before I replaced the headset.

Pretty sure I got a mallet and a flathead screwdriver and gently tapped it off. It won't be on tight

Sounds similar to the old lock ring for adjustable bottom brackets. A lot of people used a hammer and chisel (gently) to get them off.

If your gentle, it's very easy to get them off. Blast of penetrating fluid first to loosen it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If you do want a tool for this type of locknut, it's called a crescent wrench (or crescent spanner in Europe).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 whysomanyhills

Thanks All :)

@cdaly That's exactly the type of locknut on it - I got my hands on a hook wrench (not an exact fit like the tool in your photo) that I reckon might do the job

The bike is about 20-30 years old I'd so once I've the headset off I'll take a look and see what kind of condition it's it before looking at replacing it - that's why I didn't initially wan't to go hammering the lock nut in case I want to reuse it

It might be alright. If it's a cheapo no name job I'd perhaps replace it. Headsets are cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If the tool you've got is too big, hold the end of a flat-blade screwdriver between the tool and the lockring, opposite the lug, to fill the gap ...

Advertisement