Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duty Free from Dublin Airport to Gran Canaria

• 13-05-2014 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Okay this may be a stupid question. I was convinced that you could purchase duty free prices when traveling to Gran Canaria through Dublin Airport however a friend said they were told by a sales rep in the airport last summer that this was not the case when they tried to purchase vodka. Did they just get shafted or can I really not buy anything at duty free price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

There has been no duty free in the EU for a decade or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

There has been no duty free in the EU for a decade or more.
    Yes but I thought the Canary Islands and Gibralter were an exception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Nope, they're part of the EU and as such it means you can't purchase duty free en route.

Besides, it's far cheaper to buy your booze there anyway... Even when there was proper Duty Free here, it was always cheaper to wait til you got there to buy tobacco and alcohol. I could never understand why folks would lug all that stuff over from here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

jonny_b wrote: »
    Okay this may be a stupid question. I was convinced that you could purchase duty free prices when traveling to Gran Canaria through Dublin Airport however a friend said they were told by a sales rep in the airport last summer that this was not the case when they tried to purchase vodka. Did they just get shafted or can I really not buy anything at duty free price?

I'm pretty sure your friend got shafted; there's an exception to Gibraltar, the Channel Islands and The Canaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

We went to Gran Canaria about 4 years ago and the girlfriend was able to avail of the duty free no problem at all. Don't know if it's changed now though but she was definitely able to get her smokes and that there. It's a strange one because it is in the EU but as someone said there is an exception. Or at lease there definitely was when we last went to that part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Gran Canaria is duty free zone and outside the EU for customs. Thats why customs love to xray bags from Gran Canaria as they are full of duty free cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

you cannot purchase duty free when travelling within the EU, Gibraltar and the canary islands are duty free on items such as cigarettes, perfumes and alcohol which allows you to buy items when there cheaper than anywhere else in Europe, however as no duty has been paid they are subject to the normal duty free limits when arriving home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes but I thought the Canary Islands and Gibralter were an exception

Yep, see this link from Revenue
    2. Information Notes

Goods imported under the travellers' duty free allowances must be transported and accompanied by you.
    These goods cannot be for commercial purposes. They must be for your own use or as gifts. If you intend to sell or accept any kind of payment for the goods you bring in, this is classified as commercial use.
    Goods imported for commercial purposes must be declared to Customs.
    A group of people travelling together cannot pool their individual allowances to buy goods.
    Travellers under 17 are not entitled to tobacco or alcohol allowances.
    The Member States of the EU are:
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain*, Sweden and the United Kingdom*.

*Although Gibraltar, the Canary Islands and the Channel Islands are part of the EU, they are subject to special provisions and therefore the duty free allowances for outside the EU apply.

However this then means the following limits are imposed
    (ii) Tobacco Products
    Tobacco Products Maximum Quantities Goods
    200 Cigarettes, or
    100 Cigarillos, or
    50 Cigars, or
    250 grammes Tobacco

Apportionment of the above allowances is allowed on a fractional basis e.g. 100 cigarettes plus 50 cigarillos.

(iii) Alcohol Products
    Alcohol Products Maximum Quantities Goods
    1 litre Spirits (whiskey, gin, vodka etc.) OR
    2 litres Intermediate Alcoholic Products not exceeding 22% vol. (e.g. port, sherry,sparkling wine, some liqueurs, etc.)

Apportionment of the above allowances is allowed on a fractional basis e.g. ½ litre of spirits plus 1 litre of port.

You see it being imposed on those border control programmes in the UK where people don't realise they can only bring back 200 fags from Gran Canaria. And the limits include anything you bring back that you bought in Dublin, if you are stopped.

I remember being in Malta and bringing back 3200 legally once I'd a receipt to prove I'd bought them there. At a fiver a pack in the shops there I saved a fortune

Stheno wrote: »
    Yep, see this link from Revenue

However this then means the following limits are imposed

You see it being imposed on those border control programmes in the UK where people don't realise they can only bring back 200 fags from Gran Canaria. And the limits include anything you bring back that you bought in Dublin, if you are stopped.

I remember being in Malta and bringing back 3200 legally once I'd a receipt to prove I'd bought them there. At a fiver a pack in the shops there I saved a fortune
    That's grand I only want to buy vodka to drink over there before we head out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's grand I only want to buy vodka to drink over there before we head out.

It's probably cheaper in the shops there than it is in the Duty free here

• Advertisement

Hi All,

So we went to Gran Canaria and I can Confirm that we could indeed buy alcohol at the Duty free prices. It worked out a better deal to buy it on the way out as all the tourist spots were not that cheap on spirits. However we had a car and visited El Tablero shopping centre outside Maspalomas which was cheap in a supermarket called HyperDino.

Advertisement