Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimum Barrel Length for 22lr

Options
  • 25-10-2014 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

I would appreciate any feedback on what you consider to be the optimum barrel length for a 22lr and why.

I am building a 10/22 with precision/benchrest work in mind. I see that Kidd does barrels in 16.5, 18, and 20".

Was thinking about the 18" as a nice compromise, but if there is still powder to be burnt in 20", then why not?

There will be no mod on the firearm nor will this 10/22 be bunny bashing.

Probably looking to get a bull barrel, maybe fluted.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Kidd will tell you a non fluted bull barrel will give the tightest groups, The flutes are more of a cosmetic thing and may have a slight negative effect on accuracy, if you are looking for the smallest groups possible off a bench I'd go long bull maybe 18/20.

In saying that if it's for anything other than a bench I'd go shorter to save weight

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

Heres a good page for the difference in barrel length / MV

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Don't forget the fun legal aspect to this in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

Minimum would be 20inch, better is 26 or 27 inch, some believe that after all the powder is burnt the bullet needs to stablize for the last few inches. Also a semi-auto like the 10-22 will never be as accurate as a bolt action (like an anchultz) from the bench in competition. If you are interested in bech comps, then try to keep the weight to 8.5 lbs or below.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭adrian5765

its all down to usage for gallery short is good and then a faster burning powder does give a slightly better group, if u look at the CZ bolt they are amazingly accurate gun off the shelf. After a trigger adjustment it will shoot as good as anything around. in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

An option with the shorter barrels say 12-14" is to use 22 auto handgun ammo as it's a fast burning powder.

What do you recommend Clive? SK?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

I think I have used Eley pistol auto in a red box. But didn't use it in the 10/22 at the time. But it worked very well in my handgun.
    I think Paddy has some, I'll try it out

Must try a box in the new pistol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭adrian5765

i used the SK pistol match and groups were great cost a little strong but if only used for comps then no problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement