Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera didn't flash??

Options
  • 18-09-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I was out on the bike earler tonight. I was almost home and I overtook a car in a 100km/h zone. I was just winding my speed back down and I just caught a glimpse of the back of a speed camera van on my side of the road facing forward.

I think I was doing around 120km /130km in the run up to the camera. I think I was probably doing around 110 when I actually passed the van but there was no flash. I really don't understand the technology but I thought it had to flash?? It was completely dark and I had a buddy on a bike behind that verified there was no flash (he actually didn't even see the van).

The other thing is that I'm actually going to New Zealand for a year in less than two weeks. What are the consequences of getting points/ fines or at the outside, a summons, if I'm abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was out on the bike earler tonight. I was almost home and I overtook a car in a 100km/h zone. I was just winding my speed back down and I just caught a glimpse of the back of a speed camera van on my side of the road facing forward.

I think I was doing around 120km /130km in the run up to the camera. I think I was probably doing around 110 when I actually passed the van but there was no flash. I really don't understand the technology but I thought it had to flash?? It was completely dark and I had a buddy on a bike behind that verified there was no flash (he actually didn't even see the van).

The other thing is that I'm actually going to New Zealand for a year in less than two weeks. What are the consequences of getting points/ fines or at the outside, a summons, if I'm abroad?

More than likely that camera got you! What will happen is you will get a ticket in the post and 2 points! You will be given 28 days to pay, if you fail to pay you will get a further 28 days but the fine doubles. If you fail to pay within that time the ticket turns into a summons and will be served to your address whihc the vehicle is registered to. If its a case that you are not in the country and your family live at the address you just need your family to state that you are out of the country and your not exepted to return any time soon. That way the summons cant be served and therefore that will be then end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If both yourself and the car are in the pic then you won't get a ticket, as it won't be possible to prove which of you was speeding. If you do get a ticket then i'd just have a family member pay it.

Anan1 wrote: »
    If both yourself and the car are in the pic then you won't get a ticket, as it won't be possible to prove which of you was speeding. If you do get a ticket then i'd just have a family member pay it.

Someone will have to take the penailty points though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Someone will have to take the penailty points though!
    I meant pay it for the OP, as in the OP takes the points.:)

I meant pay it for the OP, as in the OP takes the points.:)

Id hate the idea of points as your insurance prem goes up :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Id hate the idea of points as your insurance prem goes up :mad:

Only with more than 6.

sdeire wrote: »
    Only with more than 6.

Ahh right, I thought it was with any points?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

If you approached the the van from behind they only got a nice piccie of the front of you on your bike, no reg,no points, no prob. One up for bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Are you certain it was an enforcement speed van and not a survey van or just some van?
    The enforcement vans should have reflective markings making them fairly visible, you certainly should have seen it ahead rather than get a mere glimpse and your friend following behind should have seen it too.

:D
    RustyNut wrote: »
    If you approached the the van from behind they only got a nice piccie of the front of you on your bike, no reg,no points, no prob. One up for bikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

The RSA vans use an infrared flash/light so you wont be able to see it, though you might notice an odd reddish type light coming out of it...
    Garda camera vans have a white flash and you'd def notice that at night.

How many years do points last? and are they from the date of the offence, or the date that the penalty is handed out? i.e. if you go to court & loose...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's been mentioned many times on boards.ie that the vans can get you from both ends, so they may have a pic of your plate after you pass. Don't know if anyone has confirmed this yet.

The RSA vans use an infrared flash/light so you wont be able to see it, though you might notice an odd reddish type light coming out of it...
    Garda camera vans have a white flash and you'd def notice that at night.

How many years do points last? and are they from the date of the offence, or the date that the penalty is handed out? i.e. if you go to court & loose...

Points last 3 years and start from the date that you get the new notice of same in the post AFTER you pay the fine in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It's been mentioned many times on boards.ie that the vans can get you from both ends, so they may have a pic of your plate after you pass. Don't know if anyone has confirmed this yet.

They only have speed detection equipment at the back of the van facing backwards, this can get traffic travelling both directions but with no number on the front of a bike if you approach it from behind then no problem.

They have retro fitted cameras on the front of the vans but they are for security only.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Are you certain it was an enforcement speed van and not a survey van or just some van...

White van, orange camera logo on the back doors :(
    ...you certainly should have seen it ahead rather than get a mere glimpse and your friend following behind should have seen it too.

It was on a gentle left hand bend on an A-road. My headlight didn't strike it properly until I was fairly close to it. I'm just beginning to think it wasn't trying to detect traffic from my direction at all:confused:
    ...If both yourself and the car are in the pic then you won't get a ticket...

I'd actually kept my speed up in order to make room for my buddy. I know I could have rolled off the throttle back a bit sooner so the car was pretty well back. I was also being lackadaisical.
    They only have speed detection equipment at the back of the van facing backwards, this can get traffic travelling both directions but with no number on the front of a bike if you approach it from behind then no problem. They have retro fitted cameras on the front of the vans but they are for security only.

I certainly hope you're right :o

Advertisement