Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling UK reg car here

• 18-09-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    First off, what I know about buying and selling motors you could write on a stamp, so here's hoping someone here can give me some advice.

About two years ago a buddy of mine, (Irish, living in London 20+ yrs), had a brainwave. He regularly flys home and was getting creased on car hire charges. He had just updated his car over there and had a 'spare', so to speak. So, he drives this car over here, stores it with family and gets the use of it until the MOT expires

Now the car is literally gathering dust cos the being a '98 2.0l turbo, paying VRT is too expensive given the value of the car. Long and short of it, he's looking (for me) to flog the car on to make room.

Question is, what does one need to do with the UK log book?
    I should add, I already have a fews guys interested but am putting them off till I know the proper procedure

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Snaggerman wrote: »
    Question is, what does one need to do with the UK log book?
    Give it to the buyer, they'll need it to reregister the car here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

What is it?

605 pug

Anan1 wrote: »
    Give it to the buyer, they'll need it to reregister the car here.

Would I (we) not have to fill out buyers details and then submit book (to who)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

sell it for parts only as its nothing but pure hassle and rip off over here to change the plates over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vrt is €720 so It's worth nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Snaggerman wrote: »
    Would I (we) not have to fill out buyers details and then submit book (to who)?
    You'd have to fill out the V5 and send it back to the DVLA in Swansea if you were selling the car in the UK. For registration here, though, the new owner will need to present the V5. If you want, you can fill out the permanent export part and send that only back to the DVLA, but it's really not necessary as the authorities here will inform the DVLA when the car is registered here.

patwicklow wrote: »
    sell it for parts only as its nothing but pure hassle and rip off over here to change the plates over here

I know that bud, thats why I didn't take it meself:)
    Thing is, if someone wants it, for parts or whatever, dont want any hassle coming back from customs, revenue, AGS etc. Just want to transfer ownership and be done with it!

Anan1 wrote: »
    You'd have to fill out the V5 and send it back to the DVLA in Swansea if you were selling the car in the UK. For registration here, though, the new owner will need to present the V5. If you want, you can fill out the permanent export part and send that only back to the DVLA, but it's really not necessary as the authorities here will inform the DVLA when the car is registered here.

Thats prob the way to go, wasn't aware of that, thanks

Assuming it can be driven away , I'm interested in taking it off your hands,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Surely it makes more sense to bring the car back to the UK and sell it over there?

Surely it makes more sense to bring the car back to the UK and sell it over there?

Few hundred in travelling expenses and it most likely wont make that much in a sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As you're not a dealer it's illegal to sell a foreign registered car in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Few hundred in travelling expenses and it most likely wont make that much in a sale.

It won't make anything here!!

A bit of travelling is surely worth a few hundred quid in the pocket!

It won't make anything here!!

A bit of travelling is surely worth a few hundred quid in the pocket!

I think you misread what i said. It'll cost a few hundred most likely to get it to where it needs to go and probably wont make the travel costs in a sale. So he'll lose money.

Assuming it can be driven away , I'm interested in taking it off your hands,
    Car is in perfect motoring order, few minor faults, sticky Elec window and sunroof, heater fan switch needs replacing. Other than that, ready to roll. PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

flog it in the north..

Advertisement