Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance premium up after "bad Winter"

• 17-09-2011 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

Just renewed my insurance, with no claims, penalty points or extras, and its shot up by 20%. Questioned this with the insurance company and they said it was down to a huge amount of claims during last winters bad conditions. been with these guys for 5 years and expected it to go down instead of up

Anyone elses premium go up because of this? For people driving longer than me, has this happened in years gone by with bad weather.

Will be ringing around next week to see if I can get a better deal somewhere else

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

If you already renewed it whats the point in ringing around for a better deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,424 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Always ring around, most peoples insurance has gone up this year, shopping around is the only way to bring it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

If you already renewed it whats the point in ringing around for a better deal?

There is usually a cooling off period so you can change insurance providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

My premium with no nonsense stayed the same, so rang around and ended up paying €50 more with the aa but with much more included. I was expecting it to drop but still up at 800ish with 3 years no claims and 3 years full licence at 26, and it's only a 1.4 golf. Sickening, my missus pays less than half With similar experience, only she had a claim a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

There is usually a cooling off period so you can change insurance providers

Not even, you can cancel your policy any time. I once cancelled mine after 3 weeks at the cost of €50, however I saved over €450 by switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

happened to my father after the first bad winter.
    he refused to pay it and asked for a supervisor to review his account as he never made a claim over winter so why should he have to pay more.
    told they then offer to take 50quid off, meaning it was only 150 more then his previous year.
    so he left them and went somewhere else.
    he got a letter off them then offering him insurance at the same rate as the year before.
    never went back though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You receive your renewal in the post about 2 weeks before the expiry date of your current policy. Surely this is enough time to go shopping around for a better deal elsewhere before renewing with your existing company?

Renewing your policy first and then shopping around for a better deal is crazy, it's the same as putting the cart before the horse. Even if you do find a better quote somewhere else now you will end up paying your existing insurance company an administration fee to cancel it which could have been avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

My renewal with the AA went up 20% this year. A few calls and I found a better policy with Tesco for €70 less than I had been paying the AA. Offered the AA a chance to match it and no joy. When I got my Tesco policy I found it was underwritten by the same insurer as the AA policy. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Bad winter - it's bull****, why premiums don't go down after good summer ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

rai555 wrote: »
    Bad winter - it's bull****, why premiums don't go down after good summer ? ;)

They might, if we got any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭porker36

stimpson wrote: »
    My renewal with the AA went up 20% this year. A few calls and I found a better policy with Tesco for €70 less than I had been paying the AA. Offered the AA a chance to match it and no joy. When I got my Tesco policy I found it was underwritten by the same insurer as the AA policy. Go figure.

same boat as yourself my aa went up about 50 quid went with first ireland was cheaper and still with allianz :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mine went up, but I shopped around and ended up getting a quote for about 20% less. Plus it covers me fully comp on other cars, not just 3rd party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Changed from non-turbo diesel to turbo petrol this year and my premium went down.

7 years running, lower each year.

€3200 -> €2600 -> €1300 -> €700 (I think) -> €600 -> €450 -> €430

Jaysus thats over 9k without a claim

Advertisement