Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG CNG madness???

Options
  • 15-09-2011 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want a 4x4 but the price of fuel is mad :D

So I was thinking about buying one of these

4x4 with LPG on eBay

and hooking up some sort of compressor to the natural gas supply I have in my house.

Is this possible or total nonsense? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LPG and natural gas are not the same, wouldn't work. Even if you could get the LPG conversion there's only a handful and at last check not one garage in Dublin selling the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

cgarrad wrote: »
    Hi,

4x4 with LPG on eBay

and hooking up some sort of compressor to the natural gas supply I have in my house.

Nope, not possible. Natural gas would have to be liquefied first and that means cooling it to -162C. LPG will become liquid at room temp but needs to be pressurised to 22 bar for that to happen. So really low temperature or high pressure, take your pick! Oh yeah, and LPG is propane, natural gas is methane, so they have different burning characteristics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Is anybody else thinking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Several CNG burning cars on the other side of the Atlantic. None here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Confab wrote: »
    Nope, not possible. Natural gas would have to be liquefied first and that means cooling it to -162C. LPG will become liquid at room temp but needs to be pressurised to 22 bar for that to happen. So really low temperature or high pressure, take your pick! Oh yeah, and LPG is propane, natural gas is methane, so they have different burning characteristics.

As far as I know LPG used for cars is mixture of Propane and Butane.
    Depending on season (winter, summer) mixture proporties differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

n97 mini wrote: »
    Several CNG burning cars on the other side of the Atlantic. None here unfortunately.

In my home town in Poland there is a garage converting cars to CNG and selling CNG.
    Good few of city buses there go on CNG as well.

But I never heard about anything pumping CNG for cars from home gas supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

CiniO wrote: »
    In my home town in Poland there is a garage converting cars to CNG and selling CNG.
    Good few of city buses there go on CNG as well.

But I never heard about anything pumping CNG for cars from home gas supply.

http://www.gasfill.com/

You cannot use CNG in LPG Tanks.. the Tanks can't handle the pressure.

You can also fit an LPG Pump to your LPG Tank at home.
    http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/how.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Real shame, could of been a real money saver ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Hi,

4x4 with LPG on eBay

Seriously hate to live next door to you
    BoooooooooooM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I don't recall an epidemic of lpg cars exploding.....

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »

Yeah I don't think there's been an epidemic of people f**king with the methane pipes going into their house and trying to get their LPG car to run on methane either do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

shedweller wrote: »

I agree.... In the 'olden days' some kits might have backfired in the intake manifold causing some localized damage. But nothing catastrophic to the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

in my native country LPG conversion is popular, as gas cost nearly half of petrol per litre, and nearly every petrol station have LPG filling tank. there is a lot pros and cons, also equipment and fitting quality varies. descent conversion would cost around 1.5k euro, cheapest would be around 500 euro.
    i think renault had some cars with factory fitted LPG option. You may run on gas, or switch over to petrol, if you running low on gas, which is handy.
    I know that in Euro tunnel you cant drive car which have conversion done, if im not mistaken, you may drive if it is factory fitted only.

You guys are not reading the thread. The OP was not asking aobut LPG conversion. He was asking about buying an LPG 4x4, then using a compressor to fill that with methane from his houses natural gas supply.
    See confab's supply above as to why this is a really, really bad idea.

Therefore, I refer you to my original response:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

You should petition DCC to remove all theses dangerous pipes full of this crazy methane from our streets.

Their response will be, like mine that you are an idiot...

On average there are zero explosions every day although the network is spread throughout the capital.

Hate to live in your little bubble....

You should petition DCC to remove all theses dangerous pipes full of this crazy methane from our streets.

On average there are zero explosions every day although the network is spread throughout the capital.

Because it is illegal to do stuff like f**k with them to try and get cheap fuel for your car.

Nice personal abuse. Reported.......wow...the guy who wants to hook the gas pipes of his house up to his car calls me an idiot .....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

We don't tolerate personal abuse here.Thread is closed as it's going nowhere and your question has been answered

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement