Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weihrauch hw97k

Options
  • 10-09-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi
    I was wondering if someone could help me out?
    I've been researching about a rifle I'm interested in its a weihrauch hw97k.
    But I've noticed that you can purchase a uk version (sub 12ftlb) and a standard version( above 12ftlb) does any1 know what versions are in ireland?
    Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

The sub 12 ftlbs are available in the uk because you don't need a licence to buy one, anything higher and you require a firearms licence.
    You can buy whatever you want here but they all require the same licence to actually get it out of the RFDs so you would logically go for the higher powered one.
    Long story short a decent sub 12flbs is perfectly good out to about 60yards for small vermin but the pellets are devils in any sort of wind, a heavier faster pellet will obviously hold itself a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Shot count is also something to be taken into consideration.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Shot count isn't a factor since a Hw97 is a spring Air Rifle, If your budget can stretch try and get a pre charged air rifle, They are usually multi shot, They can sometimes be adjusted for different power levels. They are also easily operated compared to a high powered springer (The physical strength required to cock an air rifle pushing out more than 12ft/lbs would be a significant amount) also an air rifle putting out that much power will be a nightmare to scope, I had a bsa Airsporter destroy 4 tasco scopes all in about 2 months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Sorry my bad, I thought when power levels were being mentioned it was a PCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Enda17

Thanks very much for the replies. Appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

Enda17 wrote: »
    Hi
    I was wondering if someone could help me out?
    I've been researching about a rifle I'm interested in its a weihrauch hw97k.
    But I've noticed that you can purchase a uk version (sub 12ftlb) and a standard version( above 12ftlb) does any1 know what versions are in ireland?
    Thanks
    :)

I had a 97K and upgraded it with a more powerful mainspring kit, it was putting out 17lbs but it would jump like a donkey making accuracy difficult. As another fella mentioned it also ****ed up the Simmons scope that was on it. If you wanted a better option it might be Theoben Eliminator or Webley Patriot if you were set on the springer / gas ram piston air rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

I'd recommend you talk to Tony Hall at Sandwell Field Sports in Birmingham. He will tune a factory HW97 into a stunningly smooth and accurate air rifle that you won't be able to put down for the fun of shooting it!

Either get a dealer to organize sale/paperwork or do it yourself for free!....you'll save a lifetimes worth in pellets!

ATB

Slug

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

The HW97 is one of the best air rifles on the market.
    Anything you would buy here generally would be full power 18ft lb's as dealers don't import the sub 12ft lb ones.
    There is no problem keeping a scope zeroed on the HW97 if you use a decent Dampa mount and a proper air rifle scope.
    Most rifle scopes are not designed to cope with the jolt from a spring rifle.

I have seen the 97's do pellet on pellet groups with the Hawke air max scopes fitted @ 50 yards without any issues.

Anyone know the maximum effective range using the weihrauch hw 97k in .22 with 14.3 grain pellets on small game .ie a rabbit or a crow/magpie.
    Also anyone know the best pellets to use in this rifle for accuracy and hunting.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

To get the best from this gun you will need to use a decent pellet like the JSB diablo 15.89gr or the air arms diablo field 18gr

With either of the above you should get a near perfect group at 50 yards for head shots on rabbits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

It's largely dependant on what you are effective or comfortable shooting out to, I know I wouldn't go much past 50-60 yards on anything live with an air-rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Anyone know the maximum effective range using the weihrauch hw 97k in .22 with 14.3 grain pellets on small game .ie a rabbit or a crow/magpie.
    Also anyone know the best pellets to use in this rifle for accuracy and hunting.
    Thanks

In that round, the rifle will be bunny capable out about 40m - but being a good enough marksman with a springer to manage that consistently yourself is a whole other ball game. You'll need some means of rangefinding accurately and you'll need to know your drop charts insideout as well as having a good consistent hold and good trigger discipline.

Makes them an outstanding rifle if you're into your technical shooting, but if you just want to point and shoot then you'd be better off with a PCP or a 22LR and CB rounds. ;)

Best pellet options are match grade JSB's, RWS, Diana, Crossman.. etc.. expect to pay ~€5-8 for a tin. I'm a huge fan of the JSB Exact Jumbo for .22cal air.

Hi guys
    I know I've asked what pellets are best but my friend who owns the shop where I purchased my rifle last week has none of the pellets you've listed! I'm looking for an accurate pellet but also one that can put down small game at 50-60 yards. Using the right pellet and being comfortable with shooting the rifle what groups would i be expecting at 50-60 yards? At the minute the pellets I use are bsa interceptors 15.43 gr hollow point pellets. Are they a good choice?
    Thanks
    Sorry about all the questions im just new to the airgun field
    Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

Generally you will need to try several brands in order to see which will work best for you. Usually a lighter pellet will perform better in a spring powered air rifle, under 15gr. I can also recommend JSB Exact Diablo.

As others have said, accuracy will be more important than range; 40m with a sub 12 ft/lb air rifle would be the very maximum in my view, assuming you are in the zone and weather conditions allow i.e. no wind. You will also need to be able to accurately measure your range at these distances.

Enjoy, and safe shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

you need to try different pellets and see which one is most accurate out of your gun. hollow points are all over the place
    in my gun. willing to help you out. i am living in south kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

For accuracy, I have found the Webley Accupell to be the best in my hw97K.

Although not the best for killing rabbits. Grand for crows though.

My 97K has begun to reduce in power in recent months. Might get the spring replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Have a look and see if "pellpax" are still in business they sold a package containing little samples of a lot of brands it's probably 20 brands × 10 pellets I got it years ago it was great for sussing out all the brands without buying thousands of pellets!

When you find one that suits the rifle see if you can source them then!

I'm looking for an accurate pellet but also one that can put down small game at 50-60 yards.

with a springer?... I'm afraid you're dreamin'. A PCP on a calm day with a good operator will manage about 1" at that range once you've had time to zero. On a cold shot you'd be doing very well to hit a 2" target.

You need a 22LR or similar for live targets at that range, anything less is disrespectful.
    Using the right pellet and being comfortable with shooting the rifle what groups would i be expecting at 50-60 yards?

About 3" edge to edge if you're a far better shot than most.
    At the minute the pellets I use are bsa interceptors 15.43 gr hollow point pellets. Are they a good choice?

Utter sh*te - those things wouldn't group better than an inch at 20 yards let alone 60.

The only pellets that fly right at those ranges are Diabolo's.
    HP, wadcutters, points.. all useless well before half that.
    Sorry about all the questions im just new to the airgun field
    Thanks again :)

You'll get there, you're expecting a bit much from both yourself and the rifle at the moment though. ;)

cw67irl wrote: »
    Have a look and see if "pellpax" are still in business they sold a package containing little samples of a lot of brands it's probably 20 brands × 10 pellets I got it years ago it was great for sussing out all the brands without buying thousands of pellets!

http://www.pelletperfect.co.uk/ are doing that on a larger scale now as well.

also http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Pellets.html carry JSB as well, and as I've mentioned before, I've yet to encounter a field rifle that won't send the Exact downrange reliably - fantastic pellet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

@BackFire try a service i.e. clean and re-lube internals, check seals.

• Advertisement

Hi guys
    Anyone know how to tell the power of this rifle without a chronograph?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newtoit73

Hi

I know it is an old post but this is a good link : https://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/

Also an affordable crono : Combro CB625..works well even if a bit dodge putting it on the end of the rifle...

I have one an i am happy to lend out to cool people.

My HW97 .22 is <12ftlbs ...i got this year 2018....

When i bought it I presumed , (my mistake) , that i would be getting the 18ftlbs version.
    becasue of the FAC i had to get ,

But alas, it seems it depends where you buy it, i would suggest making the dealer provide some details about the gun , becasue i
    am sure they do not check .

I am not looking to try and get a tuning kit for my gun to bring it up to 15ftlbs using V-mach kit but it is proving difficult to get any info on how to do this in grannie state ireland....no problem in UK.

I have emails were sent out to all places hoping some will reply.

If not i will find a way.:)

Its a load of balls here , ireland is a long way behind other countries with regards to air-rifles.... even <12ftlbs needs FAC i have to try and repeat that to myself to believe it... and expect to provide gun training cert and lots of info before you get approval from the local Super...

Would like to upgrade to more power GAMO next year , they have some really nice rifles.....30ftlbs and above...PCP :)

The rifle is great , sub 1 inch group at 25 and 35 yards is not problem.... i will so be giving a go at strip down/clean/ reassemble and crono it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

I got a Tinbum tuning kit sent over to me earlier this year. It comes with a full power spring too and he has detailed instructions on how to fit it and polish the internals. The full power spring will bring it up to around 16ftlbs. It makes it a bit twangy so is a bit louder. I had no issues getting it posted over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

I'd contact Steve from this site http://www.air-rifle-tuning.com/v-mach/How_to_Buy.html

Blackpool airguns seem to be out of stock at the moment. I've a V mach kit in a HW80, it'll easily group an inch at 55 yards. With the HW97 don't use any of the washers with the kit, they add power, but also recoil. 

With just the kit fitted it'll be smoother than it is at 12 ft/lb

With a tuning kit fitted you should be able to hunt out to 45 yards in calm conditions and with a ton of practice.

Advertisement