Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan Rental - before we buy

Options
  • 10-04-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't know if this a normal question, we're thinking of getting a caravan but have never been on a caravan holiday but have done a fair amount of camping over the years.

Would like to see if it's possible to rent a caravan for 3/4 days in the next week or two .

Are there any places that do caravan hire, I'm in Kilkenny but can travel.

I'm waiting to hear back from http://wexfordcaravanhire.com/

Cheers,

Adrian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Cant say I've ever heard of it. What you could do, as a bit of a proxy, is to camp at a commercial site where an ICCC rally is going ahead, have a chat to them. Most of them are v sound and only love to show people around. So you'll get a bit of a better sense of how it sets up etc.

Have both camped, and now own a caravan, I can definitely say that if you enjoyed camping you'll love caravanning. Its basically camping but without the cold & wet. In Ireland that translates as getting out a lot more.

The main things you need to think about are a) have you somewhere secure to store it, and b) are you ok with towing. Towing is not that hard, just take it easy, take corners a good bit wider that you normally would, dont pull in very tight to walls and/or pull away very sharply (can be a bit of tail swing) & be courteous and let people out when you can. Try to avoid reversing (should be no need until get onto a site).

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Cheers for the reply, I might do that.

The towing isn't a concern, between years of towing massive boat trailers, horse boxes, cattle trailers and any number of other things I'd have that covered.

As for reversing, Jedi Master at this stage.

Our kids are young and caravan would allow us to 'camp' more often with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Sure on that basis it's more or less a no-brainer for you. There's a Kilkenny couple with the club, have young kids, that are great for going to rallies, so ye should have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

thinking of going down this route myself , wouldnt be that confident of towing a 20ft box but will give it a go , are most sites around 25 odd euro per night ?

As an update, we're just back from a few days using a borrowed caravan and loved it. Currently looking to buy our own.

Sites are about €20 give or take a few quid. I know there is lots of what seams like scaremongering but if you haven't towed before you need to check the limits of your car and licence about what size you can tow.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Cars-and-Trailers/

• Advertisement

Just to follow up on this we bought a used 5 berth single axle and collected it last night.

Not to source an awning.

20140427_222318.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Best of luck and enjoy your new van. we are currently researching caravans our selves, 6 of us in the family now so looking for a 6 berth...The last time i camped must of been 20 years or more so i think renting a van out for a couple of weekends first is the way to go for us!

Does the €20/€25 include electricity and water/showers etc

PhilipJ wrote: »
    Does the €20/€25 include electricity and water/showers etc

From what I can tell almost everywhere has it's own rules. Only last week we stayed at the park in Carren beach, as it was low season it was only 15€ per night. That included esb hook up. Showers were free but you had to purchase a key for the shower block. This was only €5 but it's yours to use as many times as you come back.

Excellent value.

From what I can tell almost everywhere has it's own rules. Only last week we stayed at the park in Carren beach, as it was low season it was only 15€ per night. That included esb hook up. Showers were free but you had to purchase a key for the shower block. This was only €5 but it's yours to use as many times as you come back.

Excellent value.

wow, really is great value! thanks for that info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well done on the new purchase.
    We bought our "new to us" first van last year and it's been wonderful.

We really have the itch to get away as often as possible.

_Brian wrote: »
    Well done on the new purchase.
    We bought our "new to us" first van last year and it's been wonderful.

We really have the itch to get away as often as possible.

Is there many places to go you Brian?

Advertisement