Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone made the switch to 802.11ac ?

Options
  • 06-04-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

My Linksys (WAG120N) 802.11n router + ADSL modem (thanks for not upgrading our area to cable ISPs :mad: ) is dying, it keeps powering off randomly.

There's slim pickings for 802.11ac + ADSL out there, a Netgear one (D6200/D6300, all my investigating has yet to discover what the difference is) and a D-Link one (DSL-3580L)
    Neither of them have excellent reviews across the board. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Why limit yourself to a combined ac router/adsl modem?
    It would make far more sense to just buy a cheap modem (my tplink one was like €15 and has been working perfectly 24/7 for the last year/two), and then get whatever router you want.

If you're going to be spending €150 - €250 on a router, you should at least get one that you're happy with.

You'd also have the benefit that if you ever do switch to cable etc. your router would still be perfectly usable and not limited to adsl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Why limit yourself to a combined ac router/adsl modem?
    It would make far more sense to just buy a cheap modem (my tplink one was like €15 and has been working perfectly 24/7 for the last year/two), and then get whatever router you want.

If you're going to be spending €150 - €250 on a router, you should at least get one that you're happy with.

You'd also have the benefit that if you ever do switch to cable etc. your router would still be perfectly usable and not limited to adsl.

Exactly what I'd advise, I picked up a Linksys AM200 modem 3 years ago and have used a few decent routers since (these days a Mikrotik). If you ever get upgraded to VDSL an ADSL modem/router would be of no use.

Advertisement