Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: Round 3 - Bahrain Grand Prix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Unusual mistake from Vettel and he's out of the session with 20 minutes remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Zcott wrote: »
    Unusual mistake from Vettel and he's out of the session with 20 minutes remaining.
    Just watching it now. At least he found a travel trap although he had already stalled. Cars are a real handful with the wind not helping.

Good battle between the Force India lads for P3 in qualifying.

What's the point of Sutil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it just me or do the cars sound a lot better, especially on board, than they did before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

No RedBull in the top 10 for tomorrow (once Riccardo's penalty is applied) :eek:

Top Dog wrote: »
    No RedBull in the top 10 for tomorrow (once Riccardo's penalty is applied) :eek:
    Looks like I have to correct myself - Vettel 10th because of Riccardo's penalty :rolleyes:

Vettel :P

What's the point of Sutil?
    A good question - what the heck was he at? :confused:

Vettel :P
    Got there before you :p:D

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the cars sound a lot better, especially on board, than they did before?
    Dunno if they're sounding better - but I'm definitely warming to them more with all the different noises we can now hear. :)

Dunno if they're sounding better - but I'm definitely warming to them more with all the different noises we can now hear. :)

They seem to be more prominent in the on-board view, they sound great actually

Have to feel sorry for Riccardo after all that. Huge effort, but a penalty through no fault of his own :(

Have to feel sorry for Riccardo after all that. Huge effort, but a penalty through no fault of his own :(

His grid penalty was stupidly harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

I bet Nico Hulkenberg is delighted he didn't join Lotus now:D i just wonder how long before crashtor Maldonado starts calling the lotus team the stuff he used call Williams,that man aint worthy of an F1 drive regardless of the 2012 Spanish grand prix and his personal backers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

He really has impressed so far this year, closer to vettel than i thought he'd be.
    Kobayashi doing a good job as well, only a few tenths of Sutil and the Lotus's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Should be another Mercedes 1-2 tomorrow. That is some car they have this year.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Should be another Mercedes 1-2 tomorrow. That is some car they have this year.
    anyone but red bull,this time next year anyone but Mercedes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I reckon it will turn out to be the most dominant car since the Ferrari F2004, I don't mind most of the rule changes this season and I welcome the change of fortune for Vettel but it will be a rubbish season if we have to look at 1-2s for Mercedes every GP.

I reckon it will turn out to be the most dominant car since the Ferrari F2004, I don't mind most of the rule changes this season and I welcome the change of fortune for Vettel but it will be a rubbish season if we have to look at 1-2s for Mercedes every GP.

I'd rather a mercedes 1-2 every week than to watch vettel the finger boy gesturing to the camera after every pole and win

At the very least, at least both Mercedes drivers can take the fight to each other

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    At the very least, at least both Mercedes drivers can take the fight to each other

Vettel's not that bad, I'm sure he'll catch to Ricciardo soon.

Vettel's not that bad, I'm sure he'll catch to Ricciardo soon.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The gap between Merc and the rest is actually bigger than it ever was for the F2004. What made the Ferrari so dominant was the gap never decreased over the whole season (also insane reliability). This is something I doubt Merc will be able to do

They are a good bit ahead but they need to make hay while the sun shines because Red Bull's development record in the second half of seasons is downright terrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The gap between Merc and the rest is actually bigger than it ever was for the F2004. What made the Ferrari so dominant was the gap never decreased over the whole season (also insane reliability). This is something I doubt Merc will be able to do

They are a good bit ahead but they need to make hay while the sun shines because Red Bull's development record in the second half of seasons is downright terrifying.

Red Bull already have a superior aerodynamic package but with Renault power they won't be able to close the gap except for places like Hungary or Suzuka.
    The difference in sector 3 in the Malaysian qualifying comparison between the two cars was astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A lot of rules were brought in to stop red bulls dominance, except now they have been replaced by Mercedes!
    Red bull will close the gap if Renault step up their game, if not they'll use a Merc engine next season which should see things get interesting.

What did Riccardo get his penalty for? i did'nt catch it in commentary.

Red Bull already have a superior aerodynamic package but with Renault power they won't be able to close the gap except for places like Hungary or Suzuka.
    Two pretty different tracks there :P

As I've said for a few years now, Mercedes in all their guises (BAR/Honda/Brawn/Mercedes) have consistently failed to develop a car through a season. That's the question mark they still have over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

A lot of rules were brought in to stop red bulls dominance, except now they have been replaced by Mercedes!
    Red bull will close the gap if Renault step up their game, if not they'll use a Merc engine next season which should see things get interesting.

Mercedes are hardly stupid enough to give red bull an engine that will have them dominating again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

V.W.L 11 wrote: »

The unsafe pit release back in Malaysia! Harsh.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Mercedes are hardly stupid enough to give red bull an engine that will have them dominating again next season.

The gap will be much smaller by that stage, nothing stays a secret in F1 for long, money talks and red bull have plenty of it.
    There were rumours late last year of them going with Ferrari engines for 2014 which obviously fell through but for those rumours to come about i would presume they were at least in negotiations for it to happen. besides Mercedes already supply half the paddock, what's one more!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

The gap will be much smaller by that stage, nothing stays a secret in F1 for long, money talks and red bull have plenty of it.
    There were rumours late last year of them going with Ferrari engines for 2014 which obviously fell through but for those rumours to come about i would presume they were at least in negotiations for it to happen. besides Mercedes already supply half the paddock, what's one more!

They might also wait until 2016 and get a Honda customer deal - McLaren have exclusivity for next year only. Renault came out before the season started and made Lotus their "Official Partner for 2014 and beyond" which suggests they don't expect Red Bull to stay with them much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

All this talk of them leaving Renault is bonkers. Sure, they have made a lemon this year but how many championships have been won with Renault power. Unless something crazy happens like another manufacturer decides to start making F1 engines RBR aren't going to give up what's essentially a Works engine deal for a customer one.

Lets not forget that even though the Merc engine is better than the Renault this year it's the close relationship of being a works team that has meant the Mercedes team has been able to build their car around the inventive turbo placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

10 points to the first person to spot what's wrong here.

nasr.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Hamilton should be where Nasr is.

The thing that seems a bit off for me is Red bull's public comments about how bad the Renault engine is, that leads me to believe that they have already persued this internally and have made no progress which forced them to badmouth them publically.

I think the car has pace, Riccardo was 7 or 8 tenths off the Merc yesterday but that still leaves them as best of the rest even with an underperforming engine, i'd just like to see someone put up a real challenge to the Mercs before it's all over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

What channel is the race on?

^ Sky F1, BBC have highlights i think.

It'll be on Setanta too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Ya BBC had the genius idea of running the F1 highlights at the same time as MOTD 2 tonight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Expecting good things from Perez today (hopefully). And also looking forward to seeing Alonso stuck behind Massa.

Plus, we get to see Vettel having to fight through the pack. Woo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I have it from a reliable source that they have already been in talks with Merc for next year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

jos28 wrote: »
    I have it from a reliable source that they have already been in talks with Merc for next year ;)

EJ is that you? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Damien360

Wheel not fitted correctly during pitstop in last race. Fine plus drive through penalty plus 10 place loss on starting grid for this race. Qual in third but bumped to 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

My furiously typed notes from Bernie's interview with Brundle on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Damien360

There has been one team dominance for years. Ferrari with Schumacher, red bull with vettel, now Hamilton (according to uk presenters :) ). Rosberg will give him a run until team orders come in to effect. No point denying it will happen.

Goes to show the rumour that they stopped all development on last years car and forgot the season half way through with an eye on this years car, had truth in it. (That seems like a ridiculously long sentence)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Hoping Sergio can convert a great qualifying into some good points, come on Checo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Setanta would want to get their act together and get F1 on immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Brilliant start from Massa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Some start by Massa :D Great start by Lewis too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Anyone else unable to hear the cars on Setanta? Is it ok on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Eglinton wrote: »
    Anyone else unable to hear the cars on Setanta? Is it ok on Sky?

Yes ok on sky

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement