Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest in solidarity with Rory O'Neill/ Panti

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is Paul Murphy MEP the only MEP that works? He's the only one that seems to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Lyaiera wrote: »
    If it's true it's not defamation.

Yes, truth is one of the defences, though it usually applies to something that can be shown to be a fact, rather than an opinion. 'Honest opinion' would probably have been Rory's best option as a defence, one I think would have had an excellent chance of succeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The problem is we don't know if it's libel or not because there was no case.

The parties settled out of court. No judicial process happened.

All we know is that they made a private settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is Paul Murphy MEP the only MEP that works? He's the only one that seems to do anything.

No not at all

In fact on LGBT issues a lot of our MEPs are very strong

6 of them have signed the ILGA Europe pledge

http://www.ilga-europe.org/home/how_we_work/european_institutions/ep2014/candidate/signed

5 of them are members of the EP Intergroup on LGBT rights

http://www.lgbt-ep.eu/about/members/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No not at all

In fact on LGBT issues a lot of our MEPs are very strong

6 of them have signed the ILGA Europe pledge

http://www.ilga-europe.org/home/how_we_work/european_institutions/ep2014/candidate/signed

5 of them are members of the EP Intergroup on LGBT rights

http://www.lgbt-ep.eu/about/members/

I would add to that that the current batch of Irish MEPs actually work a lot harder than most of our other politicians! I'm not being at all party political on this, they're an extremely diligent bunch in my experience of them.

They just get little or no attention here because the media tends to ignore the European Parliament or put any coverage on at about 2 in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I'm not sure if the Abbey Theatre talk has been posted already but my goodness, it would bring a tear to a stone. What an excellent orator. I've had lots of respect for Rory beforehand, but this is exceptional. And a lot of it struck a cord with me. By God it was just...so moving!

For those who haven't seen it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

David Norris raising it today in the Seanad.

Does anyone know what the apartheid and hairdresser reference is to?

Gosh he is right though. I mean how can they look their colleague in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Vincent Browne discussing the issue tonight, starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

They glad that they appear to be playing the entirity of the clip at the Abbey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Just thought Pantigate, bringing an end to silencing discussion on homophobia in this country, has a nice ring to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Why is it that you are not entitled to have a different opinion to Rory O Neills without being abused? He walked himself in to this situation and expects the licence payer to bale him out by defending him in court even though legal advisors (not the bluffers on this site) advised a settlement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Its great that we have the internet as its now clear that we can no longer depend on the national broadcaster to allow free speech and reasoned debate on this or other issues. .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Why is it that you are not entitled to have a different opinion to Rory O Neills without being abused? He walked himself in to this situation and expects the licence payer to bale him out by defending him in court even though legal advisors (not the bluffers on this site) advised a settlement
    Haven't heard many good opinions "against" ssm and the blame is shared with Brendan O'Connor.

A Noone said you can't have a differing opinion
    B The RTE presenter pushed him on the question to name names
    C He isn't asking the the taxpayer at all to defend him in court

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

diddlybit wrote: »
    They glad that they appear to be playing the entirity of the clip at the Abbey.

Don't blame them.

I cannot stop watching it myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

amdublin wrote: »
    Don't blame them.

I cannot stop watching it myself!!

I thought it was only me. I've been showing anyone who'll listen and look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I have been following this thread and have not got involved up until now. But your statement above means I have to say something

Rory is still under threat of Litigation.
    He was issued with seperate letters.
    He was not party to the discussions between RTE and those who recieved the settlements.
    He never did expect the Licence Payer to defend him or bale him out.

You can PM me if you want to know why I can unequivocally say the above as Boards posters are entitled to remain anonymous.

Esroh wrote: »
    I have been following this thread and have not got involved up until now. But your statement above means I have to say something

Rory is still under threat of Litigation.
    He was issued with seperate letters.
    He was not party to the discussions between RTE and those who recieved the settlements.
    He never did expect the Licence Payer to defend him or bale him out.

You can PM me if you want to know why I can unequivocally say the above as Boards posters are entitled to remain anonymous.

I consider his activism under such circumstances to be an act of generosity to the LGBT community and not just that community but for the concept of freedom of speech for Irish citizens and everyone. Equality is pretty basic.

But this was so unjust on so many levels. They bought it THEY BOUGHT IT...there are plenty of poor homophobes out there too....they were given a bigger balance of power because of money.

They have a authoritarian social agenda and we cannot bow to them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

He walked himself in to this situation

Not knowingly.
    He was put on the spot and answered a question put to him without thinking of the consequences.
    Something that could very easily be done by any of us under such circumstances.
    and expects the licence payer to bale him out by defending him in court even though legal advisors (not the bluffers on this site) advised a settlement

How could he have ever seen that coming?
    I was incensed at the thought of my license fee money going to Iona and John Waters.
    But, now I believe that 85k was well worth it for the negative publicity that it has brought them.
    Cheap at the price!

Lou.m wrote: »
    I consider his activism under such circumstances to be an act of generosity to the LGBT community and not just that community but for the concept of freedom of speech for Irish citizens and everyone. Equality is pretty basic.

But this was so unjust on so many levels. They bought it THEY BOUGHT IT...there are plenty of poor homophobes out there too....they were given a bigger balance of power because of money.

They have a authoritarian social agenda and we cannot bow to them.

I actually think he's stood on stage and defended the ideals of what a true republic should be. He did it intelligently, eloquently and very powerfully.

Our republic is deeply flawed if silence can be bought.

Many, many Irish people have been oppressed by system of corporatism where the church is deeply integrated into the state.

Rory is a very powerful voice for change.
    Respect!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

BTW
    If anyone what's to help Rory out, you can start by sending a complaint to RTE and then the Broadcasting Authority.

Clicky for instructions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Beruthiel wrote: »
    BTW
    If anyone what's to help Rory out, you can start by sending a complaint to RTE and then the Broadcasting Authority.

Clicky for instructions.

Agree.

I sent email couple of days ago when it was at 847 received to RTE (which I would imagine is unprecedented) but I think it is important that even this high volume needs more voices.

As many voices as possible is needed to show RTE that they should not have given into the ridiculous Iona, Breda person and Waters.

You don't need to do a long email, even just a couple of lines to express your feeling.

Great contribution from John Lyons TD today
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOL7bt8kEP8

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Scary Mary D

I can't post what I feel as it could land me with being sued also.

A thief, for example, couldn't sue me if I called him/her a thief. Only a person who isn't a thief could sue me for saying that. So, by paying it, the RTÉ seem to be implying they don't think they could prove it in court.

MW Medical Dictionary "Homophobia: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals"

I'd say making statements such as equal rights for gay people come second to what they see as the public interest is exactly "discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I just worked out that 500 households tv licence fee went to pay off the "injured parties". 500 * 160 = 80000. That makes me so angry!

As someone in the audience said on the follow up Saturday Night show last week, it's not the outrageous "God hates fags" type homophobia we are up against as most rational, level headed people (the vast majority) will not take those crazies seriously. It's the well articulated, intellectually presented subliminal, subtle and insidious commentary and rhetoric from supposedly respected media sources about how and why we should be treated differently and not enjoy the same rights as everyone else that is far more damaging to LGBTs.

The latest worrying theme since this all blew up is how we are now whingers who want to be treated differently when it suits us (ie celebrate our difference at Pride) and treated the same when it comes to the law and that "We can't have it both ways". That is not what it is about.

One positive is that as this situation has gathered legs, it has brought out in to the open the homophobia many of us who are LGBT still endure even in it's most slightest form. I thought I luckily did not endure blatant homophobia since I was a teenager but when you hear David Norris (he was so powerful on the Late Late last night), Panti at the Abbey, TD John Lyons on Tubridy radio show and TD Jerry Buttimer in the Dail recount their experiences - some oh so subtle, others quite horrific, you realise that yes, we have endured second class treatment in many respects and some of what they experienced resonated with me and I said, Yes, I did feel a bit of oppression that time at work, on a straight night out, in the queue behind someone else, overhearing school kids etc spouting anti gay comments of various degrees of lewdness or cruelty. Just because it wasn't directed right at me doesn't mean it was ok.

My best friend's nephew idolises him but as a young teenager, he doesn't know his uncle is gay. He came home the other evening laughing at the TV in front of my friend when the Panti news story came on Six One. He scoffed and said "look at the queer!". His mother reprimanded him to never use that word again. How do you think my friend felt that the nephew he plays football with feels like that? That was a perfect example of the oppression Panti was alluding to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Breda O'Brien defends her payout by saying" those of us who were identified as homophobic could have decided not to pursue an apology and reparation, but with predictable results".
    Exactly what results?
    Had she felt defamed, would she not have settled for an apology? Jesus didn't look for a payout after they nailed him to the cross. I mean, the country is broke...€40k will effect even greater "repair" to her reputation? Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.
    What the €40 k may repair is your bad wardrobe and your bad hair, and you might like to take out a gym membership to shed those extra pounds.
    Call Rory O'Neill. He could work wonders with you.

So does Breda O' Brien support homosexual cohabitation then? Does she support gay relationships? Does she feel the gay community is a positive aspect of Irish life?

Does she accept and tolerate our gayness? Does she think being gay is a perfectly fine thing to be?

What are her feelings on gay people apart from gay marriage if she is not homophobic?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey. Missed much of the homo-gate coverage. Just watched recording of Vincent Browne's show earlier. As a gay man who's spent more than half my life under the radar (I come from a law-abiding, tax-compliant family but as a homosexual my lifestyle was illegal/criminal). I totally agree that homophobia remains to a greater or lesser degree in Ireland as it probably does everywhere else but I also believe that people should be allowed freedom of thought (whether I agree or not is irrelevant). However, as tax-paying citizen and gay man of his republic in 2014 I simply seek equal status in law that my heterosexual peers who have been granted the privilege for centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Lou.m wrote: »
    So does Breda O' Brien support homosexual cohabitation then?

She was against Civil Partnerships also. Though she seems to be denying this lately.

Advertisement