Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iona Institute

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Daith

Ambersky wrote: »
    Daith what is the process for the new legislation. Does the issue need to be debated publicly and will public opinion have any influence on the final decision?

Well I'd say public opinion in influencing a TD. However I suspect that the whip system will still be in force so it will be debated by TDs, voted on by TDs then if it passes moves up to the Seanad.

There will be public debates I'm sure as the legislation comes near.
    I would never attack anyone for their religious beliefs, whether it worked or not. It's important not to just regurgitate what they say, which in the example given sounds reasonable. It's what their subtext is which is nasty and should be exposed.

I don't think "exposing" them works. You need to debate their questions not what's behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

Daith wrote: »

I don't think "exposing" them works. You need to debate their questions not what's behind it.

No, i don't. I have no need to debate with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

So Daith doing a bit of thinking on those questions I posted earlier that came up during the Prime Time debate could be useful if public opinion could have an influence. Sounds like this is quite an important debate and could influence how the Marriage debate goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

So Daith doing a bit of thinking on those questions I posted earlier that came up during the Prime Time debate could be useful if public opinion could have an influence. Sounds like this is quite an important debate and could influence how the Marriage debate goes.

I think the appropriate response to a question like that is that it doesn't matter if people think same sex couples should or shouldn't raise children, the reality is that they do and the law should reflect that.

I haven't seen the Prime Time debate yet, so apologies if I'm covering old ground, but I think Iona's (and the media's) focus on adoption is misdirected. There are very few domestic adoptions in the first place (50 per year for the last few years), and at least a third of those are step-child adoptions. It's likely that most adoptions by married gay couples would be of children they are already raising, be it as a step child or a foster child.

I think the point the media has missed so far, and it's one Iona keep sidestepping, is that regardless of what people think, regardless of the outcome of the referendum, regardless of the whether the law changes or not; children are already being raised by same sex couples. It's been happening for at least decades, and it will continue to happen, unless there's an outright ban on same sex couples being parents (which is unlikely).

Anytime children come up in any of these debates, the focus has to be on the reality of the situation as it is, and not the hypothetical that Iona want to focus on. It should be easy too, because most of the agencies and authorities we trust to look out for children have nothing but good things to say about same sex couples raising children.

Not really. Public opinion isn't really going to have that much of an influence on this legislation. Gay people can already adopt and this would allow gay couples to adopt jointly.

If the legislation passes then detractors of gay marriage lose what seems to be their only way of attacking it. You can already see it in some comments on sites whereby they feel gay adoption should be put to a vote. Which of course doesn't make sense because gay people can adopt!

If the legislation passes, I think the debate around gay marriage will be different.

My response to any of the questions would now be "Well one gay person can adopt but I think a child should have two parents so I'm happy to have a gay couple adopt".

Not really. Public opinion isn't really going to have that much of an influence on this legislation.
    Im still not understanding you fully what you are saying Daith, did you not say earlier that public opinion could be important in influencing a TD.
    I get that perhaps the whip may be called on this and so influencing TDs may not be as important but it may be.
    Also it is one thing to change law the job of actually changing peoples thoughts and feelings on the issue also matters and happens in all kinds of ways including having discussions and debating the issues with LGBT people they happen to know. I would think thats one of the most powerful avenues of change.
    I get your response to questions on gay adoption in saying it already happens just not for couples, excellent point.

Im still not understanding you fully what you are saying Daith, did you not say earlier that public opinion could be important in influencing a TD.
    I get that perhaps the whip may be called on this and so influencing TDs may not be as important but it may be.

The average TD doesn't really have that much power in a party. The majority of them will vote in line with their party.

Have a read of this (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/new-laws-to-allow-adoption-by-same-sex-couples-1.1598254)

These quotes in particular

"While the measure may prove controversial in some quarters, the Minister said the legislation – likely to become law next year – has the full support of Fine Gael and Labour.
    “The only question is what legal vehicle will be used for the legislation,” Mr Shatter said.
    “There is no difference between the Coalition partners on this. There has been now row, no division. It has generated minimal excitement.”

I should point out I'm not complacent here. I just think it make absolute sense. When the referendum rolls around it would be a year later in a very different landscape for LGBT rights hopefully.
    If public opinion actually counted we would have a very different set of laws anyway!

Sounds good Daith.
    I think public opinion does really matter and Im not sure which way you mean the laws would be different if public opinion did matter.
    It sounds great that all parties are agreed on this issue and the deal seems to be practically done, really great, and I get that that would change some of the argument against gay marriage.
    So on that political level public opinion may not have that much influence in this matter, is that what you are saying.
    However I think it is also equally important that peoples hearts and minds are ok with gay adoption and marriage. I know the majority in recent and not so recent polls suggest the majority are in favor but for one I hate to get complacent on issues like this and particularly anything to do with a referendum.
    The other area is in how LGBT people will actually live their lives in their own communities. It helps to have people deal with their own prejudices and fears. Sometimes people are unaware of their own prejudices untill they have someone in their own family coming forward.

There is also an issue with having laws in place when people have not worked out their issues or their prejudices. i know sometimes the validation legal protection can give can go a long way in changing attitudes. Sometimes though there is a backlash when the minority group starts to take their rights for granted (as they should). A backlash can begin with "Now those people are taking it too far... Now they are going to want the whole lot of us to be that way...Its the PC brigade at it again...Now we are the ones who are being oppressed....We shouldnt have to live with this/them, We shouldnt have to take part in this in our churches/hospitals/schools, we should be able to say we disagree, dont want them around, or have them taking part in our....Now we are the ones discriminated against and silenced ....

You can read the kind of comments above in relation to the suspension of the legion of marys pray away the gay activities in NUIG
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/university-shuts-down-college-society-over-alleged-homophobic-leaflets-29812552.html

You can see a more extreme version in Russia a country that legalised homosexuality around the same time we did. Laws were passed but they have been overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

Why is there such opposition to same sex couples adopting?

I am gay and I would love to adopt a kid, there are far too many kids in care who need a loving home, there are a lot of LGBT couples who are prepared and have space in their heart for such a commitment so why are they opposed to it?

Do they honestly believe keeping the kids in care is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why is there such opposition to same sex couples adopting?

I am gay and I would love to adopt a kid, there are far too many kids in care who need a loving home, there are a lot of LGBT couples who are prepared and have space in their heart for such a commitment so why are they opposed to it?

Do they honestly believe keeping the kids in care is better?

Many many reasons but the main one is; They feel that married heterosexual couples would be better raising children.

There is a belief that children are better off in households with a mother and a father and that mothers and fathers parent differently and that children who are being parented by a gay couple lose out by not having a mother and a father.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Im not sure there are loads of children up for adoption. Are there?
    I know there are children in care looking for foster homes all right but dont couples often go to a lot of expense and difficulty to adopt abroad because there are not enough children available for adoption here.

I know there are children in care looking for foster homes all right but dont couples often go to a lot of expense and difficulty to adopt abroad because there are not enough children available for adoption here.

There are very few alright

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah really very few in Ireland. I still think there's an air of "gays are stealing children" to be honest.

For the last few years there have been about 50 domestic adoptions per year, and at least a third of those are step-parent adoptions, i.e. where a child is adopted by their parent's new spouse. One of the outcomes of the Children's Referendum would be to allow long term foster children to be placed for adoption, so there may be an increase in the number of adoptions when that becomes law.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    One of the outcomes of the Children's Referendum would be to allow long term foster children to be placed for adoption, so there may be an increase in the number of adoptions when that becomes law.

Currently the law enables long term foster care children to be placed for adoption, as it allows for any children to be placed for adoption, based on the decision of the parent or parents.

Are you suggesting that the Childrens Referendum changes that and allows children to be adopted against the wishes of their parent or parents?

Currently the law enables long term foster care children to be placed for adoption, as it allows for any children to be placed for adoption, based on the decision of the parent or parents.

At the moment only children whose parents aren't married to each other can be placed for adoption. Children whose parents are married can't be placed for adoption, even if it's the wish of the parents. Foster children whose parents are married can must remain in foster care or be returned to their parents. The option doesn't exist at the moment for those children to be adopted by their foster parents.
    Are you suggesting that the Childrens Referendum changes that and allows children to be adopted against the wishes of their parent or parents?

That's one of the specific provisions of the Referendum, but with safeguards on when the State can intervene:
    In exceptional cases, where the parents, regardless of their marital status, fail in their duty towards their children to such extent that the safety or welfare of any of their children is likely to be prejudicially affected, the State as guardian of the common good shall, by proportionate means as provided by law, endeavour to supply the place of the parents, but always with due regard for the natural and imprescriptible rights of the child.

Provision shall be made by law for the adoption of any child where the parents have failed for such a period of time as may be prescribed by law in their duty towards the child and where the best interests of the child so require.

Provision shall be made by law for the voluntary placement for adoption and the adoption of any child.

Because the result of the referendum is being challenged in the Courts, the new laws required by the referendum haven't been introduced yet. They've probably been drafted, but they won't be brought to the Oireachtas until the court case has been decided, so the current laws still apply.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    At the moment only children whose parents aren't married to each other can be placed for adoption. Children whose parents are married can't be placed for adoption, even if it's the wish of the parents. Foster children whose parents are married can must remain in foster care or be returned to their parents. The option doesn't exist at the moment for those children to be adopted by their foster parents.

I have to say I am astonished to learn that, in Ireland, parents who are married are specifically forbidden to allow their children to be adopted.

It's even more horrifying to learn that it is proposed social workers will be able to override the wishes of the parent or parents and force them to have their children adopted by others.

A case in the UK recently outlined where an Italian woman in the UK for a few months to learn english was, against her will, sedated and her unborn baby removed by C-section, and then the baby forcibly taken away from her and given away to strangers. Are we to see such events in Ireland once these new laws are passed?

I have to say I am astonished to learn that, in Ireland, parents who are married are specifically forbidden to allow their children to be adopted.

It's even more horrifying to learn that it is proposed social workers will be able to override the wishes of the parent or parents and force them to have their children adopted by others.

A case in the UK recently outlined where an Italian woman in the UK for a few months to learn english was, against her will, sedated and her unborn baby removed by C-section, and then the baby forcibly taken away from her and given away to strangers. Are we to see such events in Ireland once these new laws are passed?

Perhaps if you want to discuss proposed new adoption laws in general a discussion in the humanities forum or politics forum might be better suited. A discussion on that case in the UK is somewhat off topic.

Terry Pratchet

Perhaps if you want to discuss proposed new adoption laws in general a discussion in the humanities forum or politics forum might be better suited. A discussion on that case in the UK is somewhat off topic.

I agree completely and wonder if the new laws as outlined for Ireland might lead to similar cases in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I agree completely and wonder if the new laws as outlined for Ireland might lead to similar cases in Ireland.

It's not relevant here. If you want to discuss it, use another forum on boards.ie.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The man killed in Castleknock last night was one of Iona's researchers.

I do not agree with many of the views and principles of the organisation but I find this news very saddening and shocking. This country is incredibly depressing at times, nobody deserves that. His last blog post was filed on Iona's site on Friday.

Irish Independent link

Your right Ten of Swords no one deserves that may he rest in peace.

Folks as a man has been charged with this death it is best not to discuss further

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

The man killed in Castleknock last night was one of Iona's researchers.

I do not agree with many of the views and principles of the organisation but I find this news very saddening and shocking. This country is incredibly depressing at times, nobody deserves that. His last blog post was filed on Iona's site on Friday.

Irish Independent link

I am sorry to hear of his death that is awful my condolences to his family.

That story is a little unusual very shocking. It must be very disturbing for his friends and family.

I do not agree with his view obviously but that does not make him any less a person.

Other forums on boards.ie are not discussing the death so I will ask posters here to to do the same

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

It is highly disappointing that RTE decided to associate the aforementioned tragedy with Rory O'Neill's comments on homophobia and its presence in mainstream Irish media. Rory's clip was edited to remove all content that refered to certain well-known columnists and the Iona Institute.

The reason for the censorship is unclear. In a statement to the Journal, RTE stated that:

RTÉ confirmed its actions in a statement to TheJournal.ie:
    Last weekend’s The Saturday Night Show was removed from the Player due to potential legal issues and for reasons of sensitivity following the death of Tom O’Gorman as would be standard practice in such situations.

However the Indo stated today that there may be 'potential legal issues' as Rory's comments may be perceived as defamatory. How calling out a group of people's homophobia, which is granted a wide and regular platform both in print and visual media without issue, and then how a state broadcaster can censor one individual for calling them out on it is beyond me.

The clip is no longer available on Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

it's on Daily Motion be ready for a huge anti-climax, I'd link to it but I think I heard John Waters rustling in the bins round the back,

not surprising he got it pulled considering
    http://www.bai.ie/?page_id=19

Rory O'Neill's satement were valid and well articulated. Without any degree of irony, there was many people labelling him a 'bigot' for calling certain columnists and the Iona Institute homophobic.

Thankfully there was a lot more people in support of him. Unfortunately, he received four solictors letters. I heard John Waters sent his solicitor's letter to RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

diddlybit wrote: »
    Rory O'Neill's satement were valid and well articulated. Without any degree of irony, there was many people labelling him a 'bigot' for calling certain columnists and the Iona Institute homophobic.

Thankfully there was a lot more people in support of him. Unfortunately, he received four solictors letters. I heard John Waters sent his solicitor's letter to RTE

The irony of people who make a living out of putting down others sending solicitors letters over what were quite tame comments - imo. Really have they nothing better to be doing?

It appears not sadly. Foe the amount of abuse (masquerading as 'opinion')directed towards gay people that we are forced to read in the broadsheets and then when one person decides to pull them up on it, they are mortally offended and sue?

I hate mostly that they are paid probably a substantial amount of money to recycle the same old tripe in their columns (god it gets dull) and they are given a platform to cite 'scientific' arguments against same-sex marriage and adoption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 tster

This website sprung up in the wake of panti gate - http://ionawatch.tumblr.com

Very logical deconstructions of Iona's press releases and the "institute" itself. They have a good twitter account too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

That is pretty good actually, thanks for posting it. Will keep an eye on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

RTE apologises to Iona Institute for 'homophobia' remark

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ff0e987b97d2fcfad2787f607&id=77e4ec27d3

LIKE WHAT THE **** RTE ??

http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-no-comment-damages-saturday-night-show-1287287-Jan2014/

Fuming at this. If you haven't already done so, complaints@rte.ie complaints@bai.ie

Bypassed their own right-of-reply procedures to surrender to legal threats and now paying license fee money to top it all off. Nothing less than censorship.

RTÉ have always self censored on behalf of the conservative right wing catholic and non-catholic, and not surprising that the 'I.I.' has such seemingly unfettered access to National TV and Newspapers considering it's founders and members, perhaps 'J.W.' outlines this in the "journalism" diploma course he teaches at city college.

tster wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-no-comment-damages-saturday-night-show-1287287-Jan2014/

Fuming at this. If you haven't already done so, complaints@rte.ie complaints@bai.ie

Bypassed their own right-of-reply procedures to surrender to legal threats and now paying license fee money to top it all off. Nothing less than censorship.

The Journal are not taking comments. I wonder if they are afraid of being sued.

Terry Pratchet

The Journal are not taking comments. I wonder if they are afraid of being sued.

I queried this with the author on Monday re the apology story. She said they couldn't accept comments due to legal issues.

Fair play to them for running the story though, hasn't been touched upon by any mainstream news outlets or newspapers. Sunday's story is the most viewed story on the journal.

Didn't they (D.Q) get google to censor the Irish Times as well?

so were does the money (iona's) come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Damages? For what?? Jesus christ talk about a thin skin, this lot are pure scum

Shakti wrote: »

The email quoted by the journal has a donate link. The email appeared to be circulated in the US. Most recent accounts lodged at the companies registration office show that Lolek Ltd (the co that iona operates as) had cash or cash equivalents of €300k.

Lolek productions have an address out of kentucky same people?

Dunno. Their 2011 accounts are published widely.

Terry Pratchet

do they have to disclose their donors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

do they have to disclose their donors?
    I think their charity status excludes this, but I could be wrong
    Didn't they (D.Q) get google to censor the Irish Times as well?
    Breda O Brien is a columnist, that wouldn't happen.

I'd no idea they were an actual charity what charitable work do they do?

okay so it was ionas video which was suspended by google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'd no idea they were an actual charity what charitable work do they do?

okay so it was ionas video which was suspended by google
    Iona Institute, as far as I know, is a registered charity, therefore they don't have to disclose large donations. I could be wrong on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,710 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Iona Institute, as far as I know, is a registered charity, therefore they don't have to disclose large donations. I could be wrong on this.
    The II is a registered charity, and they don't have to discose their donors, but the two facts are unconnected. In the unlikely event that I were to receive large donations, I would be under no obligation to tell you that I had got them, still less who gave them to me. There is no general rule in Ireland that people who receive donatations must publicise the identities of the donors.

There are some specific disclosure obligations. Political parties have to disclose donations received (in excess of a certain threshhold - I think 5,000 euros). TDs and Senators likewise have to disclose donations received. And limited companies and trade unions have to disclose donations (to political parties) that they make. And there might be a couple of other disclosure obligations, but I think none that would apply to the Iona Institute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

I think the Iona "Institute" has a persecution complex, they are claiming to be victimised when nothing has happened, Rory never attacked them in the interview or anything I have no idea what planet RTE is on about if I am brutally honest, but they seem to always get Iona people on whenever they want the Catholic angle on it even though they probably dont represent Catholics as a whole, I wonder if its because Quinn has friends in high places.

Nobody complained to them about that horrible video they made about same sex marriage, the one which claimed its not discrimination since we are somehow different from everyone else.

Irish law is weird somehow, In the UK Iona couldn't be an Institute since it doesn't do peer reviewed scientific research, the closest we have are the Christian Voice (the lot who tried to get the makers of Jerry Springer the opera done under blastphemy laws)

Advertisement