Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

was that the one in brewster where ciaran bonner nailed a guy with a shoulder?

It was indeed. I remember that day well. The traffic coming into Enniskillen was chronic. I didn't get into the ground until 15 mins into the game.

It was a pretty nasty atmosphere, I thought Ciaran Bonner was going to be lynched after the tackle. To this day, I'll still argue that it was a fair shoulder, it was yer mans fault for not realising Bonner was behind him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah there's actually very little difference between the two, although the sample size for Championship is a little smaller due to neutral venues.
    Ok-surprised by that. Thought league would be bout 80% home wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

harpsman wrote: »
    Ok-surprised by that. Thought league would be bout 80% home wins.

I didn't do that particular calculation but I believe Ewan McKenna had an article about it a couple of years ago. Off the top of my head it was something like 70% of games won by home teams.

My calculations, unlike those ones, were focussed entirely on sports betting where what's important is how many points home advantage is worth, so when deciding whether to back a team -3 points for example whether the game is on in Letterkenny or Clones is important.

If the Donegal-Derry game was on in Clones rather than Derry the handicap line would/should have moved a point or so towards Donegal, if it was on in McCumhail Park you'd be looking at a 2.5/3 point shift in Donegal's favour.

Certain home advantages would be worth more than others, but in my case I didn't calculate a figure for each team because there weren't enough historical results easily available and at the time GAA betting was fairly small ball for me and not worth the extra effort since the nationwide average would be very representative in most cases.

Intuitively I'd guess the more isolated your ground the bigger your advantage to playing at home so for Donegal it could well be up around 2 full points.

EDIT: I'll see if I can find that article I mentioned for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's some info here:

http://gaa.eircom.ie/experience-speaks/2012/05/23/off-the-fence-too-much-home-comfort-for-dubs

Not the article I was thinking of, but it has home winner in ~60% of league games for that particular year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Interesting to hear Jim say that last Sunday's performance "wouldn't be good enough to win Ulster" when talking to Des Cahill on Radio One yesterday. The local and national media have gone a wee bit OTT with their analysis of last week's performance. Aspects of it were good, and there were positive signs, but we were helped by a Derry team that played with no huge intensity. In saying that, for a first day out in this year's Championship, it was good enough. I don't think anyone posting on this thread has lost perspective.

In other news, Antrim looked to be running away with things, but Fermanagh got their act together a wee bit and it's 1-10 to 1-05 at half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Who won the minor?

Antrim won the minor game handy.

Final score in the main event - Antrim 2-18 Fermanagh 3-13

So Antrim next. No idea where they will play that - assume it could be Cavan, but Derry and Clones will be in the mix as well I'm sure.

Cavan or Clones have tended to host Ulster Semi-Finals over the past few years.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Antrim won the minor game handy.

Final score in the main event - Antrim 2-18 Fermanagh 3-13

So Antrim next. No idea where they will play that - assume it could be Cavan, but Derry and Clones will be in the mix as well I'm sure.

Cavan or Clones have tended to host Ulster Semi-Finals over the past few years.

I'd have thought Clones would be easier for Antrim?

Wouldn't mind our boys getting a run out in Clones again before a potential final. Cavan would suit me better.

Derry too small.:confused: although i doubt a huge crowd.

Cavan would suit me grand. I don't think the lads need any run out in Clones!

I guess both Donegal and Antrim might get more support next time out after their recent results, so yeah, Derry might be too small, but I doubt it. Sounds like traffic was an issue for lots of people the last day too, although we were fine.

I suppose Tyrone/Monaghan v Cavan/Armagh would definitely be in Clones.

Cavan would suit me grand. I don't think the lads need any run out in Clones!

I guess both Donegal and Antrim might get more support next time out after their recent results, so yeah, Derry might be too small, but I doubt it. Sounds like traffic was an issue for lots of people the last day too, although we were fine.

I suppose Tyrone/Monaghan v Cavan/Armagh would definitely be in Clones.

A run out to cleanse the effect of the last final I meant.

That's a good point re: The other semi being clones. Last year it was those in Clones and us in Breffni wasn't it.

• Advertisement

A run out to cleanse the effect of the last final I meant.

Meh.

That's a good point re: The other semi being clones. Last year it was those in Clones and us in Breffni wasn't it.

Yes, Monaghan v Cavan was in Clones, we played Down in Cavan.

Meh.

Aye, one of those isn't it alright!

Hopefully now both teams do the job. Be nice to be back in Clones for a final.

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's some info here:

http://gaa.eircom.ie/experience-speaks/2012/05/23/off-the-fence-too-much-home-comfort-for-dubs

Not the article I was thinking of, but it has home winner in ~60% of league games for that particular year.
    Good site-wasnt aware of it. Donegal actually have a better record away than home in championship over 20 odd years. Mind you home advantage seems to have a big effect in Munster and Connaught,to a lesser extent.

Aye, one of those isn't it alright!

Hopefully now both teams do the job. Be nice to be back in Clones for a final.
    good win for Antrim today.2-18 an impressive score-should focus minds for the semi. not to be taken for granted afaiac.

was that the one in brewster where ciaran bonner nailed a guy with a shoulder?

yep, was number 26
    Yes. as you said,fairly nasty atmosphere that day for some reason. Was a good win,and we should have beaten Cork in the qf.

Antrim conceded 3-13 to Fermanagh. That should focus the minds a lot more! Good chance for Colm to get back in the groove.

Anyone watch Kilcar this evening? Moycullen were muck, but some good performances for Kilcar, especially young Ryan. Michael Hegarty rolled back the years with a trademark score off the outside of the right. Mark played and looked fit. Hit a very similar score to Michael. Paddy played water boy and wasn't great to be honest. Was caught on camera taking a selfie at one point. Someone needs to take that phone off him.

harpsman wrote: »
    good win for Antrim today.2-18 an impressive score-should focus minds for the semi. not to be taken for granted afaiac.

They also conceded 3-13.

Spillane raving about a 'great' game of football. High scoring between two fairly poor teams. He's an arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

They also conceded 3-13.

Spillane raving about a 'great' game of football. High scoring between two fairly poor teams. He's an arse.

I am actually delighted Sky are coming; sick to the teeth of these guys not analysing most games on their merits. Would love to beat Antrim 0-01 to 0-00 with a 69th minute free by Colm. Their analysis then would give me great pleasure.
    2pm throw in; any word on venue yet?

SM746 wrote: »
    I am actually delighted Sky are coming; sick to the teeth of these guys not analysing most games on their merits. Would love to beat Antrim 0-01 to 0-00 with a 69th minute free by Colm. Their analysis then would give me great pleasure.
    2pm throw in; any word on venue yet?

Not yet. Should be today or tomorrow I'd have thought.

I'm going to guess, Breffni.

Clones confirmed as the venue. Would have thought Cavan myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

They also conceded 3-13.

yea i remember down/derry last year got a similar treatment, high scoring yes, but the defenses were non existent. id rather see a few good scores under pressure than teams strolling through each other the whole time
    Clones confirmed as the venue. Would have thought Cavan myself.
    had expected breffini too, would have suited the expected crowd a lot better but ya gotta love the whole atmosphere through clones on a match day

overshoot wrote: »
    yea i remember down/derry last year got a similar treatment, high scoring yes, but the defenses were non existent. id rather see a few good scores under pressure than teams strolling through each other the whole time

had expected breffini too, would have suited the expected crowd a lot better but ya gotta love the whole atmosphere through clones on a match day

I love Clones. I'm totally against the Casement plans and think it's sore loss. Clones may have it's faults but there's seldom better places to be than clones on Ulster final day when the sun is out. One of those things that is uniqely 'gaa'. Casement will never have that, the almost parochial feel, always jovial, crowds coming down the winding streets. But you'll not get a crowd for a music gig in clones will you so it'll be the Casement dick measuring competition for the forseeable future. Mores the pity.

Incidentally, where did you see confirmation the semi is in Clones?

I have seen no confirmation that Clones is the venue.

Anyone watch the Gaeltacht Final yesterday? It was a no-contest for long periods, but Ryan McHugh had a very impressive first half at least. Ended up with Man of the Match and Player of the Tournament. Eoin McHugh played very well also, he looks very quick, although it was hard to judge the standard of the opposition. Other than O'Curraoin, I don't think any of their players stood out at all. Kilcar started as 1/12 favourites. No game time for Paddy at all.

I have seen no confirmation that Clones is the venue.

Anyone watch the Gaeltacht Final yesterday? It was a no-contest for long periods, but Ryan McHugh had a very impressive first half at least. Ended up with Man of the Match and Player of the Tournament. Eoin McHugh played very well also, he looks very quick, although it was hard to judge the standard of the opposition. Other than O'Curraoin, I don't think any of their players stood out at all. Kilcar started as 1/12 favourites. No game time for Paddy at all.

Where did McHugh play, 11?

Where did McHugh play, 11?

For the final, Ryan was 6, Mark 9, Eoin 12 (or maybe 11).

But Ryan seemed pushed up more and may even have been playing at half forward.

Pretty sure in the semi final Mark was 7, Ryan was 11 and Eoin was 15 (or maybe 13).

For the final, Ryan was 6, Mark 9, Eoin 12 (or maybe 11).

But Ryan seemed pushed up more and may even have been playing at half forward.

Pretty sure in the semi final Mark was 7, Ryan was 11 and Eoin was 15 (or maybe 13).

Yeah he was 11 in the semi, was curious to see did he play there in the final too.

GAA page I follow on Twitter announced it last night that was Clones @ 830ish. Mates from Inishowen were going on about Clones today as the venue so they obviously heard the same but never thought to ask where they heard.
    Wouldn't be my first choice for convenience so hopefully our sources are wrong.

GAA page I follow on Twitter announced it last night that was Clones @ 830ish. Mates from Inishowen were going on about Clones today as the venue so they obviously heard the same but never thought to ask where they heard.
    Wouldn't be my first choice for convenience so hopefully our sources are wrong.

I've heard nothing as yet now to be fair. All the usual suspects are quiet.

GAA page I follow on Twitter announced it last night that was Clones @ 830ish.

I'm assuming this site just lifts or aggregates from other sites. Donegal News made reference to Clones as the venue, but that it remained to be confirmed.

Anyway, we should know for sure soon enough. There's already been moaning on Twitter that it should be Omagh. I can see where people are coming from, but Ulster Council seems to go for Clones or Cavan for semi finals.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming this site just lifts or aggregates from other sites. Donegal News made reference to Clones as the venue, but that it remained to be confirmed.

Anyway, we should know for sure soon enough. There's already been moaning on Twitter that it should be Omagh. I can see where people are coming from, but Ulster Council seems to go for Clones or Cavan for semi finals.

Omagh would make most sense for the great majority of people in Donegal. Travelling from Kildare I'll selfishly hope its Cavan!

Advertisement