Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vrt proof of shipping question

Options
  • 10-03-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a few questions about my vehicles vrt due on Tuesday if someone could help clear up my confusion.

I have all of the required documentation for the vrt with the exception of proof of shipping but I am unsure if it is actually required. Let me explain......

I purchased the car through a friend who has a contact up north who imports vehicles from the uk. The car was purchased and brought down from the north through my friend. The vehicle will be vrt before the 30 day window.

Vrt requirements states the following:

6) For vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, where the invoice is dated more that 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration, details of where the vehicle was stored. For vehicles purchased in the EU, we require shipping details to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the state. For vehicles outside the EU, we require the single administrative number and the date it was issued by customs at the point of entry to the EU.

So the question is do I need proof of shipping as the car has been imported from the north even though it originated from the uk?

From the threads I have researched proof of shipping/proof of vehicle entering the state is not usually requested.

If proof of shipping is required due to the car originating from the uk how do I go about getting around this as I do not have proof of shipping and may not be able to obtain such proof?

Any help and advise is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Tell them you got the car from the north. Did that myself last year and worked fine. But to be honest in the last 3 cars I've vrt'd I was only asked once for it. Make sure you have every thing else they want though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id say if you have any kind of a receipt handwritten or anything, stating a date of purchase and with a northern Ireland address on it, you would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely if you bought the car from the North then a receipt to that effect should be enough. Where it came from before that surely should not be the concern of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My understanding is that they ask for shipping details only when purchase receipt is from more than month ago, or there isn't a receipt at all.

F.e. you show a receipt from 1st of May on your VRT inspection on September, then surely they will ask questions where was the car between May and September.
    If you can prove it was only brought to Ireland in September, then all should be fine.

The same applies to NI, but there no shipping details but storage details are required.

But if you VRT car withing legal time limit of receipt, there shouldn't be any need for shipping or storage details.

What makes me wonder though, is what happens when you buy a foreign registered car from foreigner in Ireland.

F.e. a student comes in here with his French registered car and stays for 6 month (students can do so legally).
    After that time he decides he doesn't want to take his car back to France, but instead he sells it in Ireland to Paddy.
    What documents should paddy have to VRT it?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

Thanks for the replys. On the form it asks for the cars origin and origin of shipping? Should I input down the origin as England and shipping origin as the north? The car has uk plates so I would be wary of putting down vehicle origin as the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

mayflyatr wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a few questions about my vehicles vrt due on Tuesday if someone could help clear up my confusion.

I have all of the required documentation for the vrt with the exception of proof of shipping but I am unsure if it is actually required. Let me explain......

I purchased the car through a friend who has a contact up north who imports vehicles from the uk. The car was purchased and brought down from the north through my friend. The vehicle will be vrt before the 30 day window.

Vrt requirements states the following:

6) For vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, where the invoice is dated more that 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration, details of where the vehicle was stored. For vehicles purchased in the EU, we require shipping details to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the state. For vehicles outside the EU, we require the single administrative number and the date it was issued by customs at the point of entry to the EU.

So the question is do I need proof of shipping as the car has been imported from the north even though it originated from the uk?

From the threads I have researched proof of shipping/proof of vehicle entering the state is not usually requested.

If proof of shipping is required due to the car originating from the uk how do I go about getting around this as I do not have proof of shipping and may not be able to obtain such proof?

Any help and advise is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    I registered a old land rover a few weeks ago that was brought in by last owner from UK 3yrs ago and sat in his yard..wasn't asked for proof of shipping and brought a car last October direct from uk and wasn't asked..
    I don't even recall anyone been asked for it..if they did ask I don't know how to get around it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

CiniO wrote: »
    What makes me wonder though, is what happens when you buy a foreign registered car from foreigner in Ireland.

F.e. a student comes in here with his French registered car and stays for 6 month (students can do so legally).
    After that time he decides he doesn't want to take his car back to France, but instead he sells it in Ireland to Paddy.
    What documents should paddy have to VRT it?

The student in question is granted a temporary exemption from VRT when he brings the vehicle in on numerous conditions; one being that the vehicle is not disposed of or hired out to a resident of the state. Technically the student would have to pay vrt on it, register it, and then dispose of it.

Advertisement