Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Confused Depressed and Need Help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi Tito Man

Delighted that things are going so well for you.

Personally (and this is my own personal opinion) - Moving in together this soon might be going a little too fast

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tito Man!

Hi, mango.

Thanks for the concern. We've talked loads about it, and it's not permanent. He'd just be staying with me for a few days a week. We'd be looking to make it more permanent in the future, obviously.

I know it's a huge step, but we both know each other really well, so we're comfortable with it, and we should be fine.

It is a bit quick, but it just feels so right. I don't know why we want this so much, but it's like I said earlier; we just love spending time together. Even if it's just sitting around doing nothing. Just being together makes us both so happy. Even before all this, when we were just the best platonic friends, we just loved spending time together and just hanging out. We just share so many similar interests and passions.

He also basically lived with me for a while when he was going through a rough patch with his folks (long story) and we got on great. We never argued at all over anything since as long as we've known each other.

It's all rose-tinted glasses and idealised at the moment, but it just feels so right for me. I understand the concern, and I appreciate it. Really I do. It's just people trying to stop us from ruining it and to stop us getting hurt.

But I don't think that is likely to happen. It just feels so right.

Thanks for listening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'm glad that things are going so well and you are both so happy :)
    Mango's point is very valid and would be a concern that many people might share. In some ways it reminds me of my own situation years ago. Due to work I was away a few nights a week and sometimes for a few weeks. At times it was difficult but equally it gave each of us space to be individuals and have "single" experiences. All the more to talk about when I did get home
    It also meant we had huge phone bills :)

You'll find your own level of comfort and sharing- I'm delighted he hates NFL - I watched 5 mins of it last night, couldn't make any sense of it at all, so my sympathies are totally with him on that one! BTW, who won?

Hi, all.

Also, the Baltimore Ravens won the Superbowl. GO RAVENS! :D

I'm just so happy, and looking back on this too. The thread started out so negative and fearful, as I had no idea what to do. Life just has a way of sorting these things out, even at absolutely dizzying speed. I still cannot believe it sometimes. But I'm forever grateful that this has happened. He just lights up my life and my day so much.

I also want to thank everyone on here. For the support and for being so happy for me. It has helped a lot. Even though they don't read this, I also want to go on record that our friends that we have told so far have been just spectacular. Maybe initially a bit shocked, but so happy for us. One of our friends was actually in tears telling us how happy he was for us. It's been incredible. It really affirms your faith in the decency of people and in how amazing your friends are.

For the time being (on my day off), I'm just gonna plan on what to cook for dinner tonight and see if I can get my hands on a few films for us to watch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tainor

All I have to say to the OP is man you are as lucky as it comes! Forget winning the Euro Millions you won the one in a life-time chance, finding the man of your dreams in your best friend and him in you! Amazing!

I hope really, that this relationship will last for the rest of your life! Take things as you go, loving and being loved is the best feeling in life :)

And unlike some people that are saying that it is too soon perhaps to move in together, I say, do as you feel. You've known each other for quite a lot of time, as best friends and now you know each other in a more intimate stage, and had shared living experiences in the past. I guess you will not be strangers to each other living together.

I do hope, fortune bids you well and this is the love of your life, spend together!

Amor est amor, ubi invenies!

• Advertisement

Hi, again. Sorry about being so sporadic with posting, but work is just busy and I've just been spending pretty much all my free time with a certain someone too. :)

Funny night last night. My boyfriend (his name is Billy, btw! Can't believe that in all my posts I've not mentioned it!) went out with friends of ours to a house party. I wasn't able to go, as I had work this morning. I arrived home from work to watch some of the football and rugby, two of our friends passed out and Billy in bed. They'd somehow came back to our apartment and had died off. The other two lads have gone home now, and I'm sat here giggling to myself, just wondering what state he'll be in when he finally surfaces. :o

For the time being, he's my "housemate" to the outside world (apart from the few of our friends who are in the know), and it's brilliant. We are just so happy knowing that we'll have a loving welcome when we come in from work. We both seem to have a real spring in our step lately.

While we left it too late to do anything for Valentines Day, I don't think we would have been too pushed either way anyway. We're just going to treat it like any other day, methinks. Though I'm secretly going to buy him something anyway. Just for the hell of it.

We're both a bit more looking forward to the 14th of March, to be honest (that's "Steak and B.J. Day" for those not in the know). :D

On a slightly negative side, we're still pretty afraid to tell our families. I'd be happier telling mine, but Billy is utterly terrified. I try not to talk about it too much, as it upsets him a bit, but I think it will genuinely stifle certain aspects of our relationship and mean it's less open to the world. While we don't want to shout it from the rooftops, I'd like to be able to say it if someone asks. But that is pretty much the only problem we have, and if that's the worst thing that happens to us, I'll count myself lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

Am loving this thread, delighted for you OP! You two can be my entry in the "What gives you hope?" thread ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

This is the sweetest thread I've read in ages :D Just touching on what you said in your first post though, don't worry about labels, it's certainly not up to anyone else to tell you what you are or what you aren't. Just read about online, boards is good, other sites too, reading and questioning is good, it helps you to be more honest with yourself, to really get to know yourself, you'll figure things out for yourself, you have your bf to talk to as well which is great. Things seem to be going really well at the moment, can only wish you the best.

Hi, again, folks.

First of all, thank you to everyone for reading and listening and for being so genuinely happy for us. It means so much. It really does. And thank you.

I also want to ask some advice too. I've kept in touch with my ex pretty consistently. Talking on Facebook a good bit, texting, and so on. She is still a really good friend, and she has been getting along well since we broke up. She does not hold any hard feelings at all, and is always asking me how I am and how I'm getting on and if I'm ok. She's such a sweet person and totally genuine.

Obviously, one of her questions to me has been along the lines of are you seeing anyone else. I've gently deflected such questions so far. Why, I do not know. She is really accepting and liberal. I'm actually aching to tell her that I'm bi. I also would want to tell her in person, as I don't think it's something you say over Facebook!

I guess the thing that is getting to me is, should I tell her? And if I do tell her, do I tell her I'm seeing another guy? And if I go that far, do I tell her which particular guy I'm seeing? She knows Billy really well, unavoidable really seeing as how close we were as friends for so long, but I don't know if I should tell her about it. Just yet anyway.

I'm also trying to screw up my courage to tell my family. They are pretty liberal as families go. I think it would be more of a shock than anything. I also don't have the burden of being the "only son to carry on the family name" shít that some gay/bi guys have to deal with; my younger brother is married and he and his wife are expecting their first child at the moment.

Serious stuff out of the way now:

Perfect night in tonight. Billy has gone to bed as he has work early in the morning. I've a day off tomorrow, so I'm burning midnight oil a bit. Our perfect night consisted of toasted sandwiches, football on TV, "Skyfall" after that, a big bowl of popcorn and being cuddled up together on the sofa. Not totally glamorous or anything, but it was cozy!

I just hope I don't wake him up when I go to bed later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

So how did Valentine's go? Or did you manage to keep strong and avoid it in favour of Steak and BJs day?? Me and my boyfriend have now adopted that for ourselves so thanks for the idea! :D

You should probably start a blog or something. I keep finding myself checking in here for updates. :P

• Advertisement

Hi, guys. Once again, sorry about the reply being so far between. Work and just everything gets in the way. Hardly ever get online these days.

I hope the mods are ok with me giving the odd update; I know this isn't a blog, but I think it's helpful to both myself and others. I hope it's ok. If it's not, I will stop.

Anyway, I bit the bullet last night and spoke with my ex. We agreed to meet up for some food and a "catch-up" (we hadn't seen each other for longer than a few minutes since we broke up). It was pretty hard to talk at first. I was so nervous (I must have smoked half a pack of cigs in the first half hour). But a bottle of beer or two later, and I loosened up a little.

She knew something was on my mind. Wasn't hard to detect. She was the same as I always remembered. A sweetheart who was always concerned about others more than she was for herself. After a little gentle probing, I blurted it out. I told her I was gay at first, but then backtracked a little, saying it was more bi than anything.

She was totally understanding and was just smiling to herself. She told me she had guessed that I was probably gay, and was delighted for me that I was accepting it. We talked for ages. I teared up a little at times, I was apologising to her for hurting her. Everything kinda came spilling out. It was really cathartic and theraputic.

Of course, she followed with the inevitable "Are you seeing someone?" Out of respect for Billy and all, I told her I was, but that I didn't want to say who as he wasn't out really and I didn't feel right about telling people when he didn't know. She understood, but was happy for me that I was seeing someone. We're texting each other a bit more now, and she's totally supportive.

I've talked to Billy, and he knows her. He'd be happy for her to know and would like to talk to her too. They always got along well.

So, as emotionally draining as it was screwing up my courage to do that, it was totally positive and has only brought good things up. Hoping it can move in the same direction when we all talk (me, her and Billy). It should be anyway.

For Valentines day, we were very boring. Went for a walk together, cooked some food, watched soppy films and just cuddled up.

We also, ahem, took it to the next level that night. :o:D Fuelled by more than a few glasses of wine each, we just began talking about it and then finally just went for it. I don't want to scandalise anyone by going into gory detail. Well just one detail. I was the big spoon that night. :p

But it was wonderful. Took a little getting used to and took a while for both of us to get comfortable, but we were easy going about it. We were relaxed and we were having fun. We just wanted to try it, and it was everything I'd imagined it would be and it was properly a case of the two of us making each other feel amazing. We haven't tried it again just yet. But we want to, obviously!

So far, it's all still rosy! Thanks for reading, dudes and dudettes! :)

Hi, everyone.

Been over a week since I last posted, didn't realise it had been that long.

My ex has now met my current. She was really surprised, but was delighted for the two of us. She came up to my apartment to meet us, and I kinda told her to be prepared to be a bit surprised. There was a lot of hugging, some tears and a lot of happiness throughout. I love when things go so right.

I also told my younger brother in the last week. Like most people he was stunned. He was really silent after I told him, and I didn't dare speak. He was just staring off into space, and I thought he'd taken it really badly. I was so nervous. After a fairly long silence, he just turned to me and said "Why'd you wait so long to tell me?" We had a long conversation after that, and he cried a bit when I told him that I'd 'known' for a long time, but was too afraid to say anything.

We always were really close when we were kids; I was the bigger brother and he always looked up to me, treated me like his hero when he was young. We never fought much, and we always were close, so he was really upset about a few things. That I was hiding it for so long, that I was unhappy for so long and that I never told him. But he's so happy for me now. I asked him not to tell anyone else just yet. I want to do it at my own pace, obviously. And I trust him to keep the confidence. Again, another massive weight off my mind and it feels so good.

And of course, me and Billy are still loved up. It's getting more "normal" now, if that's the right word. We're not as giddy or giggly over it as much anymore, but it's still proper amazing. We can't leave each other at all without saying "I love you", gag inducing as that might be. But nothing beats coming home from work and being able to hug the person you love. Going for walks together too is so good, even if we do get frozen walking around. Roll on the summer, ffs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tito Man! wrote: »
    Hi, everyone.

My ex has now met my current. She was really surprised, but was delighted for the two of us. She came up to my apartment to meet us, and I kinda told her to be prepared to be a bit surprised. There was a lot of hugging, some tears and a lot of happiness throughout. I love when things go so right.

I also told my younger brother in the last week. Like most people he was stunned. He was really silent after I told him, and I didn't dare speak. He was just staring off into space, and I thought he'd taken it really badly. I was so nervous. After a fairly long silence, he just turned to me and said "Why'd you wait so long to tell me?" We had a long conversation after that, and he cried a bit when I told him that I'd 'known' for a long time, but was too afraid to say anything.

We always were really close when we were kids; I was the bigger brother and he always looked up to me, treated me like his hero when he was young. We never fought much, and we always were close, so he was really upset about a few things. That I was hiding it for so long, that I was unhappy for so long and that I never told him. But he's so happy for me now. I asked him not to tell anyone else just yet. I want to do it at my own pace, obviously. And I trust him to keep the confidence. Again, another massive weight off my mind and it feels so good.

And of course, me and Billy are still loved up. It's getting more "normal" now, if that's the right word. We're not as giddy or giggly over it as much anymore, but it's still proper amazing. We can't leave each other at all without saying "I love you", gag inducing as that might be. But nothing beats coming home from work and being able to hug the person you love. Going for walks together too is so good, even if we do get frozen walking around. Roll on the summer, ffs.

So so happy to read how things are coming along so well for you! I check this thread everyday for updates! And i love you weekly update on how things are going! You give me hope :) and Im sure im not the only one who feels that way! Im so happy about the reaction you got from your ex and brother! You seem to be surrounded by the most wonderful people in your life! Cherish them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Hi, everyone.

You guys are disgustingly cute!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tito,

I'm delighted things are going so well for you and yes, as floggg said above, ye are disgustingly cute. :D

Hi again, everyone.

There's going to be positives and negatives in life. Unfortunately, the last week hasn't been positive.

Billy decided to try and tell his family. It didn't go too well. I wanted to go with him, even if just to sit in the car outside his house so I could be there for him if needed. He asked me not to, so he could be alone to tell them.

I was waiting at home, nervous and hoping it would go well. I got my answer. He arrived home looking pale and was like a zombie. He just sat down onto the couch and burst into tears. He sobbed for about an hour straight, and all I could do was just hold him. Struggling between pure heartbreak and incredible fury.

When he calmed down, he told me that his mother started to cry and his father just quietly told him to leave and not to come back for a while. They weren't angry, but just seemed so disappointed. He says he heard his mother saying something like "Why? Oh, why?" as he walked out. He is still so deeply upset and depressed. He is just feeling so rejected and let down. Not even his brothers (who he thought might have been more accepting of the idea) have got in touch. He isn't sure if his parents told them, but I'd be nearly certain they would have.

I'm not going to, but the temptation is seriously there to arrive on their doorstep and f**k them from a height. He is a wonderful person and there is no reason for them to behave like this to him other than they are narrow minded bigots, and I'm just beyond furious. I'm also seeing how much it's upsetting Billy and he feels like he's let his family down and I hear him crying in he bathroom when he thinks I can't hear. It's breaking my heart.

He's said that it's the more disappointed, calm reaction that's gotten to him. He was psyched up for a ballistic response, where they'd be angry at him. But it just sucker-punched him when they were more or less calm and he was thrown by that reaction.

I don't know what to do. He's just been so upset and it's killing me. I feel helpless. All I can do is hold him and let him know that he does have people who love him. I love him more than anything and his friends will always be there for him. I've also said that in a few days his parents might have calmed down and want to talk to him. But how anyone could upset and destroy their own son like that is just beyond me. Particularly when he's such a sweet, wonderful, caring person and has never been anything but a good, devoted son to them.

I seriously have never been so angry in my entire life. It's seeping into other areas of my life too (I'm angry at everyone in the last few days) and that's not good. What can I do to help him? Is there anything I can do? It's just so ****ing unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

OP,

I can't speak from experience in such situations. I do think that your situation will improve though.

And as anyone on here will tell you, if he has you in his life he won't ever be too bad, upset, alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Just be there for him, whenever he needs you. Thats the best you can do. I hope they come around. Please do remember that it is a big shock for them as well.

They will see over time that he is still the same great guy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I'm sure they will calm down after a small bit of time! No parent who loves a child unconditionally can go on for long without getting in contact, accepting realities and realising there love is indeed unconditional.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

Your feeling this way because you’ve a strong connection to him and you don't want to see him hurt. It’s natural to feel this way. But you have to think of his parents at this point in time, they have raised him all of his life, and him coming out to them was probably the last thing they were thinking of/expecting.
    Remember this, both of you’s have each other, they're alot of people who come out and are single and don't have the support of what you can give to your boyfriend.
    Parents will take a while to adjust if they didn't expect it, and sometimes they don't come around. Time can heal most wounds, and for the ones it can’t, love can. And thats what you can offer.
    What i would say is, don't be getting all jacked up because his parents didn't welcome it, did he expect this, or did yous spend time planning it. All parents will react differently and only families know how it will really go down.
    I’d say stand back, let your partner deal with the rejection for a bit as his family may be feeling the same. Then get in touch and try to understand both sides and then re- approach it with a calm head and ask him if he needs support, but don't feel rejected if he just wants to talk to his parents by himself.
    It may be helpful to have a few support network numbers on hand for the parents just to give them a bit of support.
    Coming out can effect both sides. Sometimes both people need support no matter the outcome. I wish you guys the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I think you need to give his parents a break here.

No, it wasn't a very good reaction but you can't judge them on how they handle it in the first weeks or even months.

Judge them on where they are in a year.

As I read somewhere before, if it takes a lot of us 20 something years to get comfortable and accept being gay, it's a bit unreasonable to expect others to get over their issues in a couple of minutes.

For now, just be there as a support. He probably needs you to be calm, reassuring and supportive rather than angry.

Give his parents a break and some time and then see what happens in a few weeks and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

there is no reason for them to behave like this to him other than they are narrow minded bigots,

There is

They might be upset
    They might be angry
    They might be shocked
    They might be unsure of the future
    They might be perhaps questioning the dreams they had of the future
    They might be grieving for those dreams

If they had known this forever and expected it then perhaps their behaviour might be unexcusable.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Hi, again.

Just to let everyone know, Billy doesn't know how angry I am. I haven't let him see me or he hasn't heard me be anything but supportive to him. He doesn't need to see me so pissed off.

And also, I know what his parents are like. They'd be decent people, but totally living in the 1950's. Maybe they'll come around, but I don't know.

I realise how I might have overreacted, but it's hard not to be totally angry and flabbergasted at it.

They do love their kids, I do know that much. So I'd hope they'll come around.

Sorry if my above post was angry and full of vitriol. I've calmed a little bit, having slept on it.

And it is all I've been doing when I've been able to. Just comforting him, and trying to talk to him. But I fear this has done real damage to his spirit, his self-esteem and his happiness. I don't think I've seen him smile or laugh since it happened. I'm trying, and I think it's slowly working, but it's still deeply upsetting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

To be honest, my parents reacted in the same way and it's not nice. But over time (and trust me, it took a lot of time) they grew to accept it. It's terrible and feels horrible at the time.

As I've grown up more though, I've become more empathetic and can see where they were coming from (oddly). It'll take him a few days, but he'll realise that it's not his fault. It will get better.

there is no reason for them to behave like this to him other than they are narrow minded bigots

Perhaps they are but hold back as nothing is for certain.

I know how much anger and hatred you feel. I have had to feel it myself and then ever since settling into my own relationship and making it a point to work with other people like gays and bis and so forth… I have seen it in many before you too.

What one has to remember is that while there is a lot of hatred and bigotry towards homosexuality in the world – there is also a lot of ignorance and fear too. Many in fact argue the former two are just what comes from expressing the latter two.

Parents mostly just want what is best for their children. They work really hard to give them everything and they have hopes and dreams and even expectations for them.

The gay life is not an easy one – and a lot of the negative reactions from parents is not due to them being bigoted or hateful – but because they are terrified of the kind of life being gay might cause you to have. Mainly because they do not know any better. Their knowledge often comes from nowhere but the media and the media does not make money with stories like “Two gays have uneventful day and are happily in love” so much as “Gay couple attacked with crow bars in homophobic hate crime”.

Ignorance and worry can have them sitting there thinking of everything from HIV/AIDS to “gay bashings” and other hate crimes.

As I said I have made it a point to get involved a lot with people in situations like yours. Often I have sat and mediated discussions between a gay son and their shocked/angry/disappointed/estranged parents. In my own rather unusual relationship – living as I do with two girls not one – I had to have the same experience directly with not just my parents but theirs too – the fathers of which clearly thought I was just some randy horn dog with no other interest but to take sexual advantage of their daughters and fulfill every males fantasy of threesome sex or what not. No words or anger or screaming or fighting was going to convince them “No really I love your daughters and they love each other and me – and this is what is right for us”.

Yes – some of the parents in those discussions I have mediated and witnessed turned out to be hateful bigots. But the vast majority broke down, tears all around, and admitted they did not hate their child – or the homosexuality – and were not angry - but they were just so _scared_ of what this would mean for their kids life. They were just terrified for their kids well being and happiness.

Fear and worry can really alter ones perception of reality and one’s reasonability and we can act in some very poor ways indeed. Read your own OP if you doubt me and see how the main issue you were worried about made you hyper-obsessive about little things to the point where one premature ejaculation made you fear there was “something wrong” with you. Fear and confusion distorts a lot and can make small issues seem large and large ones seem insurmountable.

So do not go kicking any doors in just yet. Stay true to the boy you love and make him happy. If his parents are hateful bigots – there is little you can do to change this anyway so why try – but if they are one of that larger group I have experienced and described above who just want their child to be happy – then the most effective way to make them “come around” to your relationship IS to make him happy and eventually they will see this.

In my own case I had two girl’s fathers who hated me – mothers who were just confused and despairing – and even their male relatives who wanted to kick seven shades out of me. We remained calm – we remained patient – and we were _happy_ and in the end everyone just started to realize “Hang on this isn’t just some sexually perverted fling – they are _serious_ about this – and each other – and they are happy! So what is the problem?”. And when we made them grandparents (both biological in the case of 4 of them and vicariously in the case of the other 2 with plans for 3 more kids in our future) the last of what little fear and suspicion that may have remained fell away entirely and now everyone is cool with everyone and I even get on great with the dads. Not so long ago I was even down in cork with one of them – a load of beer – and helped him build a shed.

Sorry all that was so long but the core message is: Stay true to each other and yourselves and if the parents are hateful bigots just move on as best you can – but if not then represent yourselves well – lovingly and above all happily and give them time. Do not let the anger you feel control you but redirect it into a passion to _make this relationship work_ and find new and interesting ways to _make you and he happy_. The rest – will come by itself on that journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I'm sure they'll come around eventually. I haven't told my parents yet so I'm watchin' this thread closely. I did tell my cousin (well he figured it out himself)

Also one of my aunts hinted she knows I'm gay. She asked if I had a girlfriend and when I replied 'no' she simply followed that question with did I have a boyfriend...!!

My heart skipped a beat but I casually answered 'not right now'.... she smiled and said she has an 'open mind' and that I can talk to her about these things. I rarely see her cos she lives in Donegal but it's reassuring, and if my parents struggle with this, then I'll have extended family ready to mediate.

Hi, everyone.

Firstly, I just want to apologise for exploding on here. I was just so angry, frustrated and upset. I needed to vent. And I did. It actually helped me feel better. Thanks to everyone for the replies. They also helped an awful lot. Helped me see it in a more calm and sensible light.

Secondly, things are still very raw and sore. But there has been improvement. Billy has met up with his brothers (one is older, one is younger). They both were really supportive and apologetic over how the parents reacted. They hugged him and told him they love him. They were a bit shocked when they found out (his parents didn't tell them straight away) but they were great when they met him. That has, obviously, really improved his morale and he's been feeling a lot better.

A few days ago, he also came to me and apologised. I was shocked. I asked him why, and he said it was because he had been so upset and down and he felt bad about making me feel the same. I told him to shut up (literally!) and I think I hugged him tighter than I ever have. He has no reason to be sorry or worry about how he's making me feel. I was upset more that he felt the need to apologise than anything. The poor guy.

At least since it happened and since he talked to his brothers, he's been a lot better. We've also been able to be intimate again. It was hard for him to be intimate since what happened. He just felt so down. But just talking and cuddling up a couple of nights ago, and that problem is gone. It's amazing how much happier a quick roll in the hay can make you.

Hopefully it can get back on track soon. I hope he can get in touch with his parents and work things out. And I'm also trying to screw my own courage up to tell my folks. I think they'll be cool, if a bit stunned.

Hi, again.

Remember how someone said way back how I'm surrounded by the most amazing people and I should cherish them? They were absolutely, 100% correct. I am so lucky. I'm happy, but the following was a bit bittersweet for me after what happened with Billy.

I decided the longer I put it off, the harder it would be. I bit the bullet on Thursday night and told my parents. It wasn't just my own decision. There was some gentle pushing from my brother. Nothing insistent, just stuff along the lines of "They would want to know. They love you so much."

I was still very nervous, as is natural I suppose. But I needn't have been.

The three of us were in the sitting room of their house, just after watching some of the football with my Dad. I stammered around for a bit, beginning with telling them how much I loved them and how I hoped they loved me. I blurted out what I wanted to say and sat forward and put my head in my hands.

I just felt my Mum putting her arms around me and kissing my cheek. They hadn't said anything, but I just burst into tears. I couldn't help it. My Mum hugged me. I don't think she ever hugged me as close in her life.

My Dad's reaction was hysterical now that I look back on it. When I looked up, he was sat still peering down at his paper. My Dad is pretty old-school. He's a real "socialist" and all, but would be a traditional guy (think Jim Royle only a real hard-working go-getter and no beard). I was a little worried about what he'd think. I needn't have been.

"Dry your eyes, soft-lad. Don't get all weepy."

I laughed through the tears. He always called me and my brother 'soft-lad' in a good-natured way when we were growing up if we didn't want to do hard work or if we moaned too much. It was affectionate teasing.

I asked straight out if they were upset. Neither were. They weren't even shocked. I was puzzled, because I've had girlfriends in the past. My Mum just shrugged and said she'd always had a feeling, and she was just waiting for me to say it. Dad's opinion was that he'd known since I was 13 when I refused to play rugby. :rolleyes: Maybe his unsubtle attempts at humour were something of a coping mechanism, or maybe it was to make me feel more at ease. If it was to put me at ease, it worked. I started laughing a little through the tears.

I couldn't help but cry several more times before I went home. We talked a lot. Together and then individually. I never saw my Dad cry before in my life, but when we talked, he did. He looked at me and said words I will never forget as long as I live: "You are my son. I love you so much. I've always been proud of you. You're the best sons a father could ask for, you and your brother. Never a moment's trouble, either of you. And if you ever get a hard time over this, I'll box the ears of whoever it is gives you a hard time. You hear me?"

All I could say was "I love you, Dad" before crying again. He was never a man to show much emotion (except when watching football or rugby or something), but he showed it that night. And it helped so much.

Of course, Mum asked the typical 'mum' questions, which I answered truthfully and openly. No point in hiding anything now, was there? Of course, it all led to: "Do you have a boyfriend?" I told her yes, and I told her who it was too. That shocked her a little, as she's known Billy for years. And now, of course, she wants to meet him again. Wants a big dinner thing with all of us and to get to know him more.

It took me over an hour to leave the house from the time I said I was going. Too many happy, relieved and emotional tears, too much hugging and too many 'one more cup of tea'. When I finally drove home, I had to pull over once to call them on the phone to say goodnight and to have another bit of a cry (maybe Dad was right with the 'soft-lad' bit :D).

Sorry about the long post, but I just wanted to truly emphasise what it all means. My parents are legends. They provided a wonderful, caring, loving home for me and my brother as we grew up. They always supported us and loved us. We never wanted for anything as kids. They made us the men we are. And they do all of that to this day. I'm crying a few tears here as I type this. I love them both so much, even more now.

As if that wasn't enough, I think Billy might be getting somewhere with his own parents. They called him, and while it was a bit tense, it was an improvement. They did sign off with "I love you" and so on, so that is only a positive sign. His mood also improved so much when I came home and told him what had happened with my parents.

So pretty much, yeah. Very happy out. Much as it might be a bit embarrassingly mushy, I secretly cannot wait for this dinner with me and Billy and my brother and my family. It will be sweet.

I'm signing off this and I'm walking on air. I'll be sure to check back and let you know how the dinner went.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

Am nearly ten years on boards (didn't revive my old username after the system issues), and this might be my favourite thread ever :-) Delighted for you OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Crazy story man, fair balls to ye. Also the one from taxAHcruel, I couldn't believe I was actually reading that. Remember this is great news for straight guys too, now there's more single women available ;) Head up and on ye go chief.

Advertisement