Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The biggest lies in movies...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Knocking out the guy by smacking him the back of the head, particularily in the old Westerns. Those oul revolvers weigh 2 to 2 and a half pounds. One of them in the back of the skull and its brain damage or death more than likely.

(In fairness I seem to remember reading they had to do it that way as strangling or stabbing was considered too violent an action, particularily if they were "good guys" - don't know if that's true though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You can survive a nuclear blast in a fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Only dolls heads survive plane crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's easy to knock someone unconscious using blunt force trauma or even asphyxiation without causing any permanent problems.

Girls given firearms to defend themselves either ‘grew up on a farm' or learn incredibly quickly when given brief training on how to aim, fire and reload.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

YbFocus wrote: »
    I've never been able to speed up or slow down time. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

There is always parking right outside the door of hospitals, police stations, courthouses etc no matter how busy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A German fires a hand grenade at me and i have time to pick it up have a smoke and throw it back at them before it finally explodes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

6ft Velociraptors

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maximoose wrote: »
    Silencers making guns silent, with that cool 'pfoot' sound.
    You can't silence a gun.

So the Russians just made silent bullets instead.

The partially filled cartridge contained a piston that drove the bullet. The piston only expanded within the cartridge and a seal at the end kept the piston and all the gas confined.

Bullet was of course subsonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

A German fires a hand grenade at me and i have time to pick it up have smoke and throw it back at them before it finally explodes

Whereas mine go off right on cue..same as the "Baddies" can't shoot for sh1t, but I can hit yokes 100m away with just a pistol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

PCRs of DNA samples from crime scenes take a few minutes and require no prep of the sample. They always work first time as well.

No statistical analysis either, it's always one definitive answer no matter what the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The ending of phonecalls. I don't think I've ever taken part in a phone call where both parties knew when to hang up, at the exact same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Doesn't matter how pixilated the image, it can always be enhanced.

My kids hate watching films with me - -"That's not possible.....that's bullsh1t......he'd be dead.." Shaddap Da, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Doesn't matter how pixilated the image, it can always be enhanced.

Did someone say enhance?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Someone falling from a height manages to grab a tiny ledge with just their hand. Or any time someone has to make a big jump and they get caught by just the hand from their mate. How strong is everyone's grip in movies!

Dunno why, but these sort of threads are my faves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Wound being dressed gently by a woman causes the man to wince more than the bullet going in and the intense beating he received earlier.

When it's supposed to be dark, the room is bathed in a blue glow.

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I hate when someone's driving and they are constantly turning the wheel back and forth on a straight road. The car would be swerving everywhere. It drives me crazy!!

Some of the old American cars had a lot of play in the steering wheel. They had terrible suspensions too. Watch any 80's film where someone gets out of a car and you'll see it rocking from side to side.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

James Bond never gets an STD.

• Advertisement

MetalDog wrote: »

He never actually shags the girls though, he just gently kisses their back.

MetalDog wrote: »

Or stains on his shirt, or tie..

kowloon wrote: »
    I've trapped you Mr. Bond, now I will explain my devious plan in detail!
    TV tropes is full of these

No, Mr. Bond, I Expect You to Dine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

My kids hate watching films with me - -"That's not possible.....that's bullsh1t......he'd be dead.." Shaddap Da, ffs!

If that's in the cinema, you are the worst kind of person!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

After having sex home or in hotel room he/she puts on underwear without having shower as if nothing happened and goes to work, home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Every courtroom drama is won by an emotional speech by the lawyer at the end of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Whereas mine go off right on cue..same as the "Baddies" can't shoot for sh1t, but I can hit yokes 100m away with just a pistol.

....firing one handed, side on, using no support.

jamesbere wrote: »
    Every courtroom drama is won by an emotional speech by the lawyer at the end of the film.

Boston Legal/Ali Mcbeal style. Where everyone sues every day, over anything, and it takes a week and they win, regardless how ridiculous.

S.R. wrote: »
    After having sex home or in hotel room he/she puts on underwear without having shower as if nothing happened and goes to work, home etc.

Is it normal to have a shower after having sex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

He never actually shags the girls though, he just gently kisses their back.

Bond would be a much better spy if he didn't go around telling everybody who he was.

Advertisement