Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyscrapers

Options
  • 25-03-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Seems like the US has really fallen behind when it comes to building tall.
    Going to be hard to catch up to some of the projects going on in the middle east.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Tower
    Will we ever see a time when Dublin or Cork will have a Skyline of note.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Doesn't Dublin have a height limit for how high their buildings can be built? Don't think we'll ever have a Skyscraper though, not sure why would need one either. Tourism perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Going to be hard to catch up to some of the projects going on in the middle east.

Hopefully not. Why would we want a skyline full of boring concrete and glass skyscrapers and just look like every other city outside europe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Building the tallest building in the world in the country where most of the 9/11 planners and hijackers came from........mmmmm.........possibly not the best idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Dublin is never going to be a skycraper city, but here's an interesting fact about London.

Did you know that the eponymous London clay is the reason that London has no noteworthy skyscrapers, relative to other major global cities?

The soil in much of central London is very pliant, which makes it ideal for boring underground transport links, but is an unsuitable material upon which to construct very tall structures.

(As an aside, in the southern suburbs of London, there is a more rigid type of soil which is harder to bore through, which is why that part of London has less underground, and which is why the tube, and the metropolis, both expand to the north)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Building the tallest building in the world in the country where most of the 9/11 planners and hijackers came from........mmmmm.........possibly not the best idea

Also using the BinLaden group to build it :D I know this is not a conspiracy thread but its still ironic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The US doesn't build tall due to the fact it isn't worthwhile financially after a certain height. It's economically feasible in Dubai due to the fact they have close to modern day slavery. They have done of migrant workers that live in slums and often never get paid.

Dublin doesnt have sky scapers as there is lobbying from certain group's to protect the heritage of the city. They rather have sprawling suburbs with no transport links to the city than high rise in the city. They have some belief that we need to protect the city skyline

Sky scapers if done right are amazing. I have seen the tallest and the third tallest building in the world. Its honestly breath taking to see. Some people think they are boring and horrific. But there is nothing worse than losing our countryside to ****ty 3 bed semi-ds to "protect the fabric of our city and its heritage".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Hopefully not. Why would we want a skyline full of boring concrete and glass skyscrapers and just look like every other city outside europe...

Yes,let's build identical semi-d's for 50 miles around the outskirts with 3rd world transport links to the city centre! Let's protect the skyline which consists of a disused tower in smithfield, church steples scattered throughout the city and the heineken building! Let the tourists marvel at hawkins house and liberty hall!

In all honesty I'm just joking and I agree with no building high rise in certain parts of the city but the out right ban in thr city is absolutely ridiculous, and the 8 story limit or what ever it is dublin city council have in place is not high rise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,Seen that Cork has the tallest Skyscrapers in Republic of Ireland,I give you Cork band Fred with 'Skyscrapers'.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The majority of the population of Ireland are afraid of heights according to a major international study

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Highrise, done properly, can be amazing. The IFSC/Docklands area should really be zoned High Density/High Rise - won't affect the cultural part of the city centre, but at the same time will give much needed large office space in the city centre, and will make large infrastructure projects more feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Belfast has the tallest building on the island i.e. Obel Tower (85m)
    The Boat (62m) is rather funky also, won some fancy awards.
    The Docklands would be the ideal place to put a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Not until those people who have a fetish for "skylines" die off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Worked on the scotia bank skyscraper in Toronto,68 stories and was asked to go over the side on a swing stage....not a fcukin hope says me! When people on the ground look like ants you know your up high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

It's better than the view of a seemingly endless line of stationary cars stretching from the city centre in all directions as far as the eye can see.

Building out instead of up has been terrible for Dublin. Hopefully Cork and other cities will not follow suit to that extent. The high rise Elysian in Cork was a good idea in principle and, following a slow start, is increasing occupancy. It's better to have an extra 200 households based in the city centre in good quality residency, rather than having an extra 200 cars on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

We really need to begin to build up in Dublin. The city is beginning to sprawl way too far out and we wont have the infrastructure to cope with it. The last few weeks the motorways into Dublin have been a nightmare with traffic in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Highrise, done properly, can be amazing. The IFSC/Docklands area should really be zoned High Density/High Rise - won't affect the cultural part of the city centre, but at the same time will give much needed large office space in the city centre, and will make large infrastructure projects more feasible.

I very much so agree with that. It seems like the sensible thing to do considering we are attracting some of the biggest IT companies in the world. Office space is getting short in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

CB19Kevo wrote: »

Sorry OP,but you could not be further from the truth.

The USA is not going to build White elephant phallus' just for the distinction of being the tallest,that is foolish and incredibly unwise and an irresponsible waste of Money.

Nationwide,the FAA have placed a limit of 2000 ft or 610 m as the maximum height that a building can be built so that it wont interfere with Aircraft flight paths.

New york is currently in its greatest building frenzy ever with supertalls (over 1000 ft high) being constructed or in preperation all across 57th st, a whole new cluster of skyscrapers are being built in the Hudson yards and Downtown is seeing many Towers going up too.

Add to the list LA and SF which are also currently building supertalls and Chicago has one (Wanda Tower) on the drawing board.Exciting times ahead for skyscraper enthusiasts, especially as the American ones are being built because the demand decides the height-not the feelings of inadequacy of some Gulf Sheik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Tower Had a look at this a few hours ago, they have gotten to about 100 meters. It will be bloody impressive when build but i certainly hope that no aircraft has a left engine failure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Skyscrapers in Dublin are a bad idea.

The hoop earrings, used condoms and needles falling from that height would be lethal..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The majority of the population of Ireland are afraid of heights according to a major international study

which is kind of ironic considering there are so many high horses around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Shanghai Tower is looking impressive these days.

I'd love to see more high rises in Dublin but not the run of the mill glass and concrete towers. There's no need for supertall buildings so there's mote scope for unique designs due to the smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

While there is still farmland within the M50, Dublin can never be considered overcrowded.

It doesn't need high-rise.
    I'm not opposed, but there isn't any need either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

smurfjed wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Tower Had a look at this a few hours ago, they have gotten to about 100 meters. It will be bloody impressive when build but i certainly hope that no aircraft has a left engine failure :)
    I wonder will they hang gay people from it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

While there is still farmland within the M50, Dublin can never be considered overcrowded.

It doesn't need high-rise.
    I'm not opposed, but there isn't any need either.

Where's the farmland within the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

FalconGirl wrote: »
    We really need to begin to build up in Dublin. The city is beginning to sprawl way too far out and we wont have the infrastructure to cope with it. The last few weeks the motorways into Dublin have been a nightmare with traffic in the mornings.

I agree with building up but I don't think doing so would have much of a beneficial impact on traffic levels on motorways into Dublin. The people working in skyscrapers will still need to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i dunno maybe its just me but i wouldn't call that boring or that or that either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

circadian wrote: »

Some between jct 12. & 13, next to, but not part of Marlay park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

circadian wrote: »

A good chunk between Ashtown and Finglas - and not just the old reclaimed dump!

Take a spin along the River Rd someday and we'll see it

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.378211,-6.323345,3a,75y,321.63h,90.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srl_PJ7C-RnaWSlD7-yRG_g!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

hfallada wrote: »
    The US doesn't build tall due to the fact it isn't worthwhile financially after a certain height. It's economically feasible in Dubai due to the fact they have close to modern day slavery. They have done of migrant workers that live in slums and often never get paid.

Dublin doesnt have sky scapers as there is lobbying from certain group's to protect the heritage of the city. They rather have sprawling suburbs with no transport links to the city than high rise in the city. They have some belief that we need to protect the city skyline

Sky scapers if done right are amazing. I have seen the tallest and the third tallest building in the world. Its honestly breath taking to see. Some people think they are boring and horrific. But there is nothing worse than losing our countryside to ****ty 3 bed semi-ds to "protect the fabric of our city and its heritage".

A common misconception among those that dont seem to know that there is no problem getting planning permission for skyscrapers in designated high density zones like the docklands or Hueston South Quater or out in Tallaght and Leopardstown etc. These are the same baffled eejits that seem to think that what's holding back the city is the refusal to vandalise a single square mile of Georgian Dublin as was done during the 60's and 70's, the last time our planners strove for 'progress' and gave us Hawkins House and Liberty Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

conorhal wrote: »
    A common misconception among those that dont seem to know that there is no problem getting planning permission for skyscrapers in designated high density zones like the docklands or Hueston South Quater or out in Tallaght and Leopardstown etc. These are the same baffled eejits that seem to think that what's holding back the city is the refusal to vandalise a single square mile of Georgian Dublin as was done during the 60's and 70's, the last time our planners strove for 'progress' and gave us Hawkins House and Liberty Hall.

So whats the max height allowable for a flagship building in a designated hd zone, and what would be the average height allowable (assuming not every/ <10% of buildings would be allowed at max height.

Advertisement