Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plane crash in Alps ### MOD NOTE 1st POST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Airbus 320, do any of the irish carriers use this plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Mr.McLovin wrote: »

Rumoured to be a german vendor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just seen this, Alps crash can only be the worst of news.

The airline is GermanWings, a budget carrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

A320 is one of the most popular aircraft out there, almost 6000 in service. Aer Lingus have 29 of them. Airbus safety record has not been too good at all recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Just seen this, Alps crash can only be the worst of news.

The airline is GermanWings, a budget carrier.

Indeed. I imagine any rescue attempt would be enormously complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MayoForSam wrote: »
    . Airbus safety record has not been too good at all recently.

How many have been pilot error or other non mechanical events? 2 777s were lost last year down to event's that had nothing to do with problems with the airframe for example.

The A320 that crash landed in the Hudson River did fine thanks to the pilot and a good bit of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Not looking good, wreckage found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

French ministry says no survivors expected :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Horrible time for Aviation. RIP to all souls lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

My biggest fear is being on a plane that is about to crash. A minute would feel like an eternity.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Thoughts are with the families.

With people flying more and more, and especially with us being an island nation it could happen to any of us. Flying has become a lot safer but its not infallible.

From FlightRadar24 it was losing altitude quickly for a few minutes beforehand, looks very odd.

Horrible news.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    My biggest fear is being on a plane that is about to crash. A minute would feel like an eternity.:(

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/d-aipx/#5d42675

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

From FlightRadar24 it was losing altitude quickly for a few minutes beforehand, looks very odd.

Horrible news.

For a plane to crash it would have lose altitude,how is that odd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

148 feared dead :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0324/689326-germanwings-plane-crash/

Report there says "The accident happened in a zone that is particularly hard to access". I can't imagine that they don't run that flight daily, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Another one? :(
    bogwalrus wrote: »

If there's rapid decompression you'd be passed out long before impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Really hope there were no children on it.
    It would be bad enough knowing it was going down but if you had children with you it would be a lot worse.
    God love them all. RIP.

kneemos wrote: »
    For a plane to crash it would have lose altitude,how is that odd?
    Everything was going fine followed by a rapid descent and no change of direction. The distance from when the descent started looks like a crash landing somewhere other than the mountains straight ahead may have been possible but wasn't attempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

God love them all
    Apparently not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

According to that radar data during take off the plane was ascending 2,000ft per min. Before it crashed it was descending as much as 6,000ft per min. I know what its like to take off on a plane at an angle so three times that in a descent must have been like and arrow straight down.

• Advertisement

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Horrible time for Aviation
    There's never been a safer time to fly. Probability and number of fatal commercial-airline crashes has steadily decreased.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/fatal%20accidents.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Apparently not...

Mod

Not cool. Be respectful or don't bother posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The crashed A320 is 24 years old and has been with the parent Lufthansa group since 1991, according to databaseairfleets.net.

Does that not seem a very long time for an aircraft to be in service? The tech on a 24 year old aircraft would be considered stone age when you compare it with newer aircraft.

RIP to all on board, very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

logik wrote: »
    The tech on a 24 year old aircraft would be considered stone age when you compare it with newer aircraft.
    Why present this nonsense as fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

RIP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

All are dead, sorry to hear. It dropped over 10 minutes and a distress had been going out for about half an hour. Ugh, poor people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

RIP to all those involved. Without speculating too much, given the location it's likely there were Irish passengers on board.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Why present this nonsense as fact?

To be fair, you left out the part where the poster asked a question, displaying that they themselves were not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I thought these planes could glide even with engine failure?
    Loads of airports around there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I hate when these things happen. Knowing that there are families seeing this in the news right now and realizing that their loved on is on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

The crashed A320 is 24 years old and has been with the parent Lufthansa group since 1991, according to databaseairfleets.net.

Does that not seem a very long time for an aircraft to be in service? The tech on a 24 year old aircraft would be considered stone age when you compare it with newer aircraft.

RIP to all on board, very sad.

This is why these threads should be left in the aviation forum. No attack on logik, just that the guys over there would sort this out quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I landed in Barcelona airport a short while ago. It would have been just after the crash. Crazy to think that it departed from where I just landed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not a route you'd expect to see a bird down on.

RIP to all aboard.

OSI wrote: »
    Not really, most of BAs Boeing fleet averages 20 years+ old.

You learn something new everyday. Didn't know that. I know it does not change a thing, I just thought aircraft would be removed from service well before 20, 24 years.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Knex. wrote: »
    148 feared dead :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0324/689326-germanwings-plane-crash/

Report there says "The accident happened in a zone that is particularly hard to access". I can't imagine that they don't run that flight daily, though.

I assume they mean it is hard for people to reach the crash zone.

• Advertisement

I thought these planes could glide even with engine failure?
    Loads of airports around there.

Someone on the A+A forum mentioned something similar happening where a sensor froze on ascent and then caused a similarly rapid descent until over-ridden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You learn something new everyday. Didn't know that. I know it does not change a thing, I just thought aircraft would be removed from service well before 20, 24 years.

RIP

All I can say is, dont hitch a lift on a freight aircraft, some of those still in service are 40 years old, and Im not talking about tin cans flying in the third world.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I assume they mean it is hard for people to reach the crash zone.

That would make a lot more sense to whatever I was thinking. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Just saw a few stats on a website:
    - A320 is Airbus' most popular aircraft
    - Introduced in 1988
    - 11500 have been ordered
    - 6200 currently in service
    - Has carried 6 billion passengers since 1988

This is a sad accident and hopefully they can figure out what it was caused by. But even if it is a technical failure, I guess with the equivalent of the whole world population moved from point A to point B safely since 1988 the track record of the A320 will still be considered a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

crazy stat: Airbus says on its website that that an A320 family aircraft takes off or lands every 2.5 seconds of every day.

• Advertisement

crazy stat: Airbus says on its website that that an A320 family aircraft takes off or lands every 2.5 seconds of every day.

That is unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Really hope there were no children on it.
    It would be bad enough knowing it was going down but if you had children with you it would be a lot worse.
    God love them all. RIP.

I hate this ****, its a plane full of people and there's always someone who comes along hope its not a plane of kids. Somehow, its OK if there's no children on the plane.

Not having children on the plane doesn't make it any way better.

148 lives lost. Its a terrible tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Horrible time for Aviation. RIP to all souls lost.

People always say this but it's not really.

They make big news but are still rare events.

Over a million people die every year on the roads and people think cars are safe whilst less than a thousand died on civil aircraft in 2014.

Plane crash stats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I hate this ****, its a plane full of people and there's always someone who comes along hope its not a plane of kids. Somehow, its OK if there's no children on the plane.

Really don't think that's what the poster was saying. I think taytolover meant that the horror for any individual on the plane would be ramped up drastically if they had their kids with them and knew that their kids were also about to die with them.

Either way, RIP to all involved; huge loss of life.

That's not what the poster said - At. All.

He said that if you were on the plane with your children, it's hard enough knowing you're about to die, but knowing your children are about to die must be horrible. And he'd be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Peanut wrote: »
    Really don't think that's what the poster was saying. I think taytolover meant that the horror for any individual on the plane would be ramped up drastically if they had their kids with them and knew that their kids were also about to die with them.

Either way, RIP to all involved; huge loss of life.

That's how I took it. Its bad enough knowing I'm going to die but knowing my kids are going to die...that's something else entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

All are dead, sorry to hear. It dropped over 10 minutes and a distress had been going out for about half an hour. Ugh, poor people.

Jaysus, that horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Such a terrible horrific tragedy :( Those poor people didn't stand a chance given the area that it happened in :(

Not that this would prevent a crash happening but the airline companies really need to sort out the black box issue - having all that data stored locally on the plane in this day and age is just baffling.

RIP to everyone on board, their poor families :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

OSI wrote: »
    Where else would it be stored? :confused:

In the cloud. Off the craft. Somewhere safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

Thats not what he said. He is right going down knowing you were powerless in helping your child is more terrifying than the crash about to happen.

RIP to all onboard, always feels worse when so close to home

• Advertisement
Advertisement