Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tis a pity they don't issue points for sheer stupidity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What an a-hole. Where was this Mike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I would'nt have made a space for him!
    You`d still be sitting there now then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mfitzy that was just east of Cahir on the N24, they are realigning the road for the new East-West bypass.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did the van in front of you have his reverse lights on at one stage?

I'm really despairing in the last couple of weeks with the amount of idiot drivers on the roads, it seems to be taking a severe spike in numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

It's a Flancare trailer. If you feel like having a word it's 090 6475188 or flancare.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Occidental wrote:
    It's a Flancare trailer. If you feel like having a word it's 090 6475188 or flancare.ie
    mike65 - Please make the phone call and report the driver (I'll do it if you PM me time/date/exact location).
    If you have the reg then you might consider reporting it to TrafficWatch (1890-205-805).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mike65 wrote:

Mike,
    A few weeks ago, I was returning to Dublin from the country.
    On the N3, the last roundabout before the M50 roundabout,
    As I was approaching this roundabout from the Northern side, (straight on would bring me to M50 roundabout, third exit would be into Blanchardstown village)
    Anyway approaching the roundabout about 20 cars back, I got a green light. As I was proceeding to get closer to the roundabout about 5 cars back, I could a car in the corner of my right eye, doing a 3 point turn on the roundabout. Yes, clearly she must have approached the roundabout from the southern end (M50 direction) and meant to take the Northern exit for Cavan/Ballyshannon exit, missed the turnoff and when she got the red lights thought it would be a great time to do a 3 point turn to get back to the exit. Anyway as cars entered the roundabout from Blanchardstown village, they were not happy. She was now perpendicular to the direction of the lanes and blocked both lanes.
    Poor petal was in a fix, she couldn't get a full turn to go back to her orignal direction and the cars behind her blocked her from going in the direction. To compound things, some guy caught behind her was shouting abuse and signalling the concept of a roundabout! I was afraid she was going to panic and do something stupid! thankfully I got through the roundabout okay!

doing a 3 point turn on the roundabout.
    I really hope that someone reported this incident to the Gardai.

From a thread about parallel parking
    mike65 wrote:
    If you can't PP you really should'nt be allowed the privilege of a car! Theres is a method but once learnt tis easy.
    (though I think that is a bit harsh but the sentiment of if you cannot control your vehicle you shouldn't be driving is reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

This thread has prompted me to post on a similar situation that has been occurring up here on a regular basis. I travel on the B82 in Fermanagh each day, a road that takes a lot of cross border traffic going to/from Donegal. For a number of months now a bridge on the route has been in the process of being strengthened and widened. This has lead to the imposition of a signal controlled stretch of one lane only as in the examples above.

Right throughout the period the behaviour of motorists from across the border has been dire. They've ran more red lights than I've had hot dinners and on some occasions this has nearly lead to accidents. And these are only the transgressions that I've witnessed - God knows how many there have been in total. I once stopped at the red light behind a Sligo registered car that after getting impatient with no one coming in the other direction decided to pull out and drive through the red only to meet a car coming out of a side road. The result, as in your example Mike, was that he had to reverse back to where he should have been only in this instance he proceeded to knock over the 'please wait here' sign.

On another occasion the Northern motorists all came to a stop only to witness the Dublin registered black 4x4 at the front of the queue carry on through the red light. On reaching the bend that the bridge sits on the driver encountered the inevitable procession of vehicles - lead by a large lorry I should add - legally travelling in the opposite direction. The outcome was a sudden halt and a squeeze into an adjoining side road so that he could get out of the way. This then resulted in the blocking of a vehicle attempting to turn down the side road and yet more chaos.

One day I stopped at the red first in the queue to suddenly find myself being overtaken by a Donegal registered car that decided to pull out from behind me and charge on through the lights. Fortunately for him the drivers at the opposite end waited until he had selfishly passed through.

I could go on but suffice to say there are numerous other examples. What is it with southern motorists and running red lights - is it something to do with the different sequencing you have down there?

Oh, one final and slightly amusing anecdote. About a year ago I was travelling back from Sligo on the N16 when I joined a queue of cars slowing down - or so I thought - to stop at a red light where road works were underway. However, far from slowing down to stop it appeared they were just testing the nerves of the motorists coming in the other direction as all of them except the one Northern motorist - me - proceeded to charge on through the red blocking the traffic coming in the other direction. It became such a debacle that two of the workmen had to take over from the lights and wave everyone in our lane through the red and stop everyone approaching the green in the other direction. Crazy.

No wonder your rate of road fatalities continues to climb in the Republic.

MT wrote:
    What is it with southern motorists and running red lights - is it something to do with the different sequencing you have down there?
    Before the flood of complaints about Northern drivers when they are in the Republic ... the explanation for the offenders might be that they are never caught (or reported).

I rang Flancare and the transport mgr was very appreciative of the report (though mike65 didn't have a reg number so the driver could not be immediately identified). He will look into it and have stern words with his drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement