Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus glow plugs

• 03-01-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

My engine management light came on this morning followed by a loss of power. Ford garage read the fault and tells me I need 4 new glow plugs. Cost €20 each but need TWO hours labour to fit as lots of stripping has to be done. Total Cost €260. Any idea what I should be paying for this? I If I take the car to an independent dealer Ill have to pay the €80 euro diagnostic fee, so wondering is there any saving to be made.
    Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I assume it is a 1.6tdci rather than a 1.8? If so then Ford are right it does take about 2 hours to do. Obviously an independent garage will have lower labour rates. To give you an idea of costs we would be charging about €180-200 on average depending on how difficult the old ones are to remove. These can be a total nightmare to get out without damaging the threads in the cylinder head so it is best not to rush the job and take a bit of extra time which is why it costs more than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NewArklow2012

George, thanks a million for your reply. Thats really good to know. Ill let Ford deal with it so. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

George, thanks a million for your reply. Thats really good to know. Ill let Ford deal with it so. Cheers

Something doesn't seem right here. Glow plugs can put the engine management light on in certain circumstances but should not cause a loss of power.

Also, with the 1.6 TDCI, there is a a modification to be carried out to the loom which powers the glow plug relay if the fault code is P0380. You might get a misfire with his (the loss of power you refer to?). Ford issued a TSB to all dealers about this some time ago re this fault. If this is your issue OP, get the dealer to consult his TSB lists as replacing the glowplugs will not cure this particular fault.

Found this in my notes. It may or may not be your issue OP, but one to be borne in mind:
    Subject/Concern: Power loss; engine difficult to start or does not start (fault code P0380 is set); battery discharged
    Model:
    Focus C-MAX 2003.75 (06/2003–) Engine: 1.6L Duratorq-TDCi (DV) Diesel
    Engine: 2.0L Duratorq-TDCi (DW) Diesel
    Focus 2004.75 (07/2004–) Engine: 1.6L Duratorq-TDCi (DV) Diesel
    Engine: 2.0L Duratorq-TDCi (DW) Diesel
    Markets: All
    Section: 303-07
    Summary

Should a customer express concern regarding power loss or that the engine is difficult to start or does not start at all or that the battery becomes discharged and if fault code P0380 is set, the probable cause is a damaged glow plug relay due to water ingress via the ground cable in the wiring harness to the glow plug relay. To rectify the concern, a new glow plug relay and a modified wiring harness from the engine compartment fuse box to the glow plug relay should be installed.

Parts Required
    Description Finis Code Quantity
    Glow plug relay 1 252 609 1
    Glow plug relay repair wiring harness 1 363 580 1
    Solder/crimp connectors locally procured -
    Cable ties locally procured -
    Labor Time
    Operation Description Operation No. Time
    WDS Vehicle Connection/Communication 29 099 0 -
    Stored Fault Codes - Read Out - additional 0.1 hours
    Headlamp Assembly - Remove And Install (One Side) 32 115 1 -
    Engine Undershield - Remove and Install 21 130 4 -
    Glow Plug Relay And Glow Plug Relay Wiring Harness - Renew - additional 0.8 hours
    Repair/Claim Coding
    Causal Part: Finis Code for glow plug relay
    ACES Condition Code: 49
    OASIS 203000, 203100, 603300, 607000, 614000

Service Information
    Glow plug relay repair wiring harness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

the glow plugs are used as part of the emmision control system on the 1.6 and constanly come on as the car is driving , so when the fail the car goes in to limp mode,, very common fault, the wiring fault you are describingis for the very early diesel model ,,where the glow plug relay was down behind lower grill and filled with water

• Advertisement

ford jedi wrote: »
    the glow plugs are used as part of the emmision control system on the 1.6 and constanly come on as the car is driving , so when the fail the car goes in to limp mode,, very common fault, the wiring fault you are describingis for the very early diesel model ,,where the glow plug relay was down behind lower grill and filled with water

How are they part if the emission control system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

they come on in conjunction with egr opening to reburn recirculated un burnt gases during w.o.t and run simimlar to most mitsi emmision systems

ford jedi wrote: »
    they come on in conjunction with egr opening to reburn recirculated un burnt gases during w.o.t and run simimlar to most mitsi emmision systems

Sorry, my bad! I misread what you originally typed last night. You're right!

Thanks everyone. The car did indeed go into limp mode. Got it back from ford and seems to be all grand now. Im just glad it was not another problem with the DPF.

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭franorzxrh2

was this problem the glow plugs themselves or the recall?

• Advertisement

was just the Glow Plugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know where the glow plugs are on a Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2007??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

On the back of the cylinder head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

I must be going blind I cant see them. Is it far under air intake manifold??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

As George said be very carefull when removing the glowplugs on the Dv6 engine as the tips of the plugs tend to build up carbon which can make them difficult to remove....snapping the glow plugs in the head can happen if one is not careful.....:eek:

Here is a diagram of the glow plugs on a peugeot dv6 engine (same as focus)viewed from the bulkhead.....They glowplugs cannot be seen without removing the airfilter box on Peugeot/Citroens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Maybe it will upload this time..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

My glow plug warning light came on twice in the last week, both times I was going from fourth to fifth gear. It lost power both times (couldn't get above 50km), I pulled over switched off the car and started it again and there was no issue until it happened again. I got a full service about two weeks ago, I'm not too sure if the glow plugs have been changed in a while. My car is a 2004 Focus 1.8 TDCi with 138800 miles on it. Anyone else have this issue? We take it to my mechanic next week. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bennyokane

I am not the first to be shocked by the price for changing glow plugs. I also got the "engine malfunction" msg and loss of power on my 2008 1.6 diesel ford focus. Mechanic said the exact same thing as above, all four glow plugs need replaced. labour and parts = €250 all in. Harsh but at least it's consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.
    Feel free to start fresh threads instead of digging up old ones

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement