Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spark plug removal. Help!

Options
  • 05-07-2013 10:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭

My 2000 focus spark plugs are impossible to remove. I have put a size 16 socket on them (only one that seems to fit) but they just won't budge. Today I literally strained myself trying to get them out but the little feckers refuse to come out.

What can I do lads? I'm afriad i'll brake somthing if I force them out? Car was lying up in a back garden for about 2-3 years so I think that might be the problem..

I also used a spark plug removal tools with no joy.

HELP!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,353 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try after the engine has warmed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

sounds like they are siezed in,
    Id suggest something to loosen the crud, warm may help

Id be thinking along the lines of a small amount of WD-40, spray a few drops through the included straw and let it loosen the grip between the plug and thread.
    If theres any crud loose around the plug, Id vacuum anything out ( I keep an old vacuum for the purpose of drawing away loose dirt before Id even remove a plug to prevent any loose dirt falling in after the plug is removed) then again i may be accused of being particular.

If that does help loosen them, Id suggest, removing them as per how a thread is cut, (Im not suggesting putting a thread cutting tap near them)
    What Im saying is, when you cut a thread in a hole, you screw forwards, then go backwards to cut the swarf.

In this case Id suggest, try loosen a bit , then close the same amount, then loosen a bit more and close a bit and repeat, extracting the plug slowly bit by bit, opening and closing (but opening more and removing gradually) rather than trying to do it all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Get the engine as hot as you possibly can and then have another go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Lads, I drove the car for 2 hours this morning and after that left her running in the garden for 15 minutes but it didnt seem to help to be honest. Feel like they are welded into the engine. I was literally swinging out of the dam things. I was terrified i'd do damage.

jamesr123 wrote: »
    Lads, I drove the car for 2 hours this morning and after that left her running in the garden for 15 minutes but it didnt seem to help to be honest. Feel like they are welded into the engine. I was literally swinging out of the dam things. I was terrified i'd do damage.

Do they look like they are true (perfectly inline) to the axis of the plug?
    Did you try all plugs?
    If one was cross threaded, I could imagine its possible, but more than one or all while possible would be unfortunate. In the instance of any being cross threaded, well the damage would have been done if that happened when they were installed, the plugs would have to be taken out eventually, but they might still be functional and you could proceed with the rest of the service (if thats what you're doing) and do the plugs at another time. ( dont hink this might be the case, but Im not looking at it)

What is the engine?
    what kind of spark plug removal tool? if what Im thinking, you wont have much leverage
    what size is the socket drive? a larger drive allows you to apply lower pressure and more control (in my opinion), I'd still suggest putting a drop of WD 40 in there to help loosen whats sticking things.

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    Do they look like they are true (perfectly inline) to the axis of the plug?
    Did you try all plugs?
    If one was cross threaded, I could imagine its possible, but more than one or all while possible would be unfortunate. In the instance of any being cross threaded, well the damage would have been done if that happened when they were installed, the plugs would have to be taken out eventually, but they might still be functional and you could proceed with the rest of the service (if thats what you're doing) and do the plugs at another time. ( dont hink this might be the case, but Im not looking at it)

What is the engine?
    what kind of spark plug removal tool? if what Im thinking, you wont have much leverage
    what size is the socket drive? a larger drive allows you to apply lower pressure and more control (in my opinion), I'd still suggest putting a drop of WD 40 in there to help loosen whats sticking things.

Hi, All the plugs look like they are in the correct position. The engine is 1.6 petrol. At a guess i'd say they were over tightened and probably been in that position for years. The rest of the service has been completed just them dam plugs are annoying me. The oil filter was also welded onto the car but I sorted that with the screwdriver :D

I bought a spark plug remover but it was useless very little leverage so I got a lend of a socket set and the size 16 seems to fit the plugs. I tried all the other sized and 16 seems to be the only one that actually get a grip of them.

To be honest I tried the first 2 plugs and just gave up on them. I was afraid of breaking them.

Would it be bad to force them out? Im sure they'll come out but I know they'll need to be dragged out of the car..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

not being condescending but is the ratchet set in the right direction for loosening the plugs?

not being condescending but is the ratchet set in the right direction for loosening the plugs?

I had my left hand covering the top of the ratchet to kinda make sure it was staying straight and I gripped the ratched with my right hand. I'v changed plugs and a good few cars. I always considered it the easiest part of the service :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I had my left hand covering the top of the ratchet to kinda make sure it was staying straight and I gripped the ratched with my right hand. I'v changed plugs and a good few cars. I always considered it the easiest part of the service :o

What I should say is the ratchet set to loosen rather then tighten the plugs?

Stranger things have happened :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What I should say is the ratchet set to loosen rather then tighten the plugs?

Stranger things have happened :cool:
    I would think the OP knows the leftie-loosie, rightie-tightie rule... :)

I could well be wrong, but I'm thinking that more leverage (properly applied) might work here - i.e. a longer lever (perfectly applied 90 degree force).

After a liberal application of WD-40, and an appropriate waiting period, of course...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Common fault with the focus as water, oil and dirt collect in the well where plugs are situated.

Have you or someone ever been jet washing the engine bay or is the cover missing(plastic) over where the plugs are. This would cause them to seize so try tighten then loosen also try extending the wratchet with a bit of piping to get that extra bit of force needed obviously don't over do it but also a sharp but not excessive tap with a hammer to shock it loose.

I only done it recently now I should defo know this but late and all but try the new plugs and double check your using the correct socket I keep thinking the size you said looks wrong now I half asleep so you may have it right.

Common fault with the focus as water, oil and dirt collect in the well where plugs are situated.

Have you or someone ever been jet washing the engine bay or is the cover missing(plastic) over where the plugs are. This would cause them to seize so try tighten then loosen also try extending the wratchet with a bit of piping to get that extra bit of force needed obviously don't over do it but also a sharp but not excessive tap with a hammer to shock it loose.

I only done it recently now I should defo know this but late and all but try the new plugs and double check your using the correct socket I keep thinking the size you said looks wrong now I half asleep so you may have it right.

Actually I did notice the bits of dirt and oil surrounding the plugs, very stupid design I mean your asking for dirt,oil and water to collect there.

you are loosening in an anti clockwise direction? right?
    if you are loosening the other way, you arent loosening.

Is the 16mm socket a long reach socket? is it getting adequete grip on the hexagonal portion of the plugs?
    did you try the WD-40?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

WD40 can shove off. Use this, leave overnight, try the next day
    R691117-05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Your going the wrong way then if i read right,to loosen your right hand would be on the top of the ratchet and be pulling with your left hand wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP , get a bottle of Coke, and pour a small amount into the head so it sits around the plug. 20ml will do.
    Leave it overnight and then try again tomorrow.
    This is what a professional head reconditioning company near me use all the time.
    The plugs in the focus are extra long and get very siezed, if you force them they can snap off, which ,means head off and into a workshop to get them out.
    Try the Coke, it can't cost more than 2 euro and it works!

I can see there are plenty of opinions here,

One thing I would not do is jar the things open, someone mentioned opening like that, if you try apply a sudden sharp shock to help opening you may cause damage to the plug,or damage the threads.

Apply gentle even pressure, that is of course after you have applied some penetrate and have allowed it time to do its magic to loosen the rust.

I wouldnt use any extension bars or anything over a normal 1/2" ratchet (ie dont put a piece of steel tube over that and try use it as a lever).

I havent even put anti seize on the threads, which I probably should have, but I would have taken out the plugs annually to have a look at them and loo.sen anything starting to sieze them up

Advertisement