Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakes not working right

Options
  • 04-07-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

friends 2004 2.0 dti zafira needed new front brake disc so he had a go at changing it .
    All done but now the brake pedal feel spongy when engine is running but fine when engine is turned off. also the brake is kinda sticking on too...
    vehicle has been sitting up for 11 months

any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I assume he pushed the piston back in?
    After a brake job the brakes will feel a bit odd for a day (often less). It usually rectifies itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lavelle15

You will need to bleed the system if they are soft (there is air in the line)

Is brake noisy?
    If the brakes pads sounds/feels like they are sticking inside the caliper you may have to file away old rust from the caliper. Perhaps also file the contact surfaces on the pads too, just a tad mind.
    The pads should move freely inside the caliper, if they're really hard to move by hand they will probably stick in action.
    Add copper grease as lube (not to brake surfaces of course).

Sure, bleed the system too - particularly if you can't remember when it was done last.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭new2me

biko wrote: »
    I assume he pushed the piston back in?
    After a brake job the brakes will feel a bit odd for a day (often less). It usually rectifies itself.

what the correct way to bleed the brakes on these please?
    We notice the the piston rubber boot has a small cut in it too

It's the same way for all cars - you force the old fluid out the brake caliper nipple and add fresh fluid in the brake fluid cylinder in the engine bay.
    Google "bleeding brakes". It's easier with 2 people but you can do it yourself too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5O_pbC8R2E

But I'd address the piston rubber too, it's possible that it's somehow connected to spongy feeling. Buy and replace the rubber.

Couple vids on how the brakes work.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIVWoYy0ug

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8-0RcyFpc

• Advertisement
Advertisement