Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Academy Awards (Oscars)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chris Rock confirmed to be back as host

I actually thought it might be man of the moment Chris Pratt :p

Michael Fassbender and Saoirse Ronan getting a lot of buzz for best actor and actress and Lenny Abrahamson for director for Room

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, DiCaprio for Best Actor. I really don't think Fassbender or anyone else has a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Something about The Revenant doesn't sit right in my head, dunno what it is, but I keep thinking he'll have to wait for another spin.
    Wouldn't back against him either though!

PaddyPower had "Spotlight" at 50/1 for best picture a couple of months ago, thought that seemed too big, so threw a few euro on. Buzz seems good so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have a feeling it'll be DiCaprio's year too. Not the biggest fan of him, but The Revenant looks like it's going to be one of the best of the year. I did hear from a pal in America though that Michael Keaton is excellent in Spotlight. I don't know if he's leading or supporting in that film though. Looking forward to seeing that actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’m not sure The Revenant will be good enough to make the Academy forget that they already gave Inarritu an Oscar last year, but it doesn’t have to be for Leo to get his.

Keaton is supporting in Spotlight and after last year’s fiasco, I’d say he’s a lock. Though there’s Hardy, also in The Revenant, to consider…

• Advertisement

I’m not sure The Revenant will be good enough to make the Academy forget that they already gave Inarritu an Oscar last year, but it doesn’t have to be for Leo to get his.

Keaton is supporting in Spotlight and after last year’s fiasco, I’d say he’s a lock. Though there’s Hardy, also in The Revenant, to consider…

Stallone is getting some buzz for Creed in supporting actor

I think Carol stars Mara and Blanchett are locks

So is Mark Ruffalo the lead then? Or is it an ensemble situation?

Thought Keaton was robbed last year, would like to see him get his hands on one.

It'll be interesting to see if the buzz around Saoirse Ronan will be sustained right to the end, like Cate Blanchett with Blue Jasmine.

I’m sure he’s good in Creed but I seriously doubt Stallone will even be nominated, Liz.

Mara is being pushed for supporting, a potentially easy win considering she’s the real lead of the film. I’ve read the book and she’s the main character. It's category fraud by the Weinsteins but it’ll probably pay off for Mara if not for Blanchett who faces stiffer competition. But I guess putting Blanchett in supporting wasn’t really an option since she’s playing the title character.

@PressRun based on the trailers, Spotlight definitely look like an ensemble. Even if Ruffalo/Keaton could be considered leads, I haven’t heard anything about either of them being put forward for Best Actor. They both stand a better chance in supporting.

No, DiCaprio for Best Actor. I really don't think Fassbender or anyone else has a hope.

What about last year's winner Eddie Redmayne, transformation and transgender, Academy will love, could he pull a Tom Hanks double winner two years in a row

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What about last year's winner Eddie Redmayne, transformation and transgender, Academy will love, could he pull a Tom Hanks double winner two years in a row

I really hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Danish Girl hasn't gotten overly great reviews. Most of the ones I've read say Vikander is the best thing about it. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in Supporting Actress.

I put a few quid on Bree Larson ages ago. Hope to see her at least be nominated.

They have the opportunity this year to have some really strong nominees if they aren't swayed by campaigns.

I would almost bet my house on the Best Actress category being Blanchett, Larson, Ronan, Lawrence and one other. I'd love to see Mulligan get one for Suffragette but the film got so much ****ty press for that tshirt thing that I don't think it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I've only seen a few movies this year, Benicio del Toro must be up there for Sicario.
    I'd love to see George Miller get nominated for Fury Road.

PressRun wrote: »
    Have a feeling it'll be DiCaprio's year too. Not the biggest fan of him, but The Revenant looks like it's going to be one of the best of the year. I did hear from a pal in America though that Michael Keaton is excellent in Spotlight. I don't know if he's leading or supporting in that film though. Looking forward to seeing that actually.

I've seen spotlight and it's excellent. Great cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

You are right Danish Girl is the type of film the Academy loves, but i can't see Redmayne winning this year, the film as a few have said has been getting sniffy reviews. Plus Tom Hooper is just that type of director that does these Oscar films that don't rock the boat or challenge people. I do see Danish Girl getting the most noms for sure. I see Alicia Vikander probably having a better chance as Best Actress seen as she has the Weinstein machine behind her.

I think if Di Caprio is any good in the Revenant I see no one but him winning Best Actor Statue no matter if anyone comes along and gives a top notch performance. It's going to be the year he wins it after so many snubs. Fassbender for either Macbeth or Jobs will be in there (love to see him win but I doubt it), Depp probably too for Black Mass , Mark Ruffalo is getting the top acting plaudits from Spotlight, Redmayne will be in the mix too. Will Smith is also getting a lot of rave notices for his role although the film Concussion isn't getting great reviews.

Best Actor: Di Caprio (the Revenant)

Best actress seems like it could be the hardest one to call, seen as Rooney Mara for Carol, Brie Larson also for Room, the after mentioned Vikander for Danish Girl, i think it be down between those three picking up the awards going towards the Oscars. I think Jennifer Lawrence will be in there for Joy and Carey Mulligan for Suffragette, I'd already wouldn't be surprised if Mulligan might actually steals Best Actress as it's really a Oscar bait type role. I think Mara could win this for Carol (seen as Blachett has ruled herself out of the best actress race, and is going for Supporting actress) although with Weinstein's behind Vikander push and the underdog of Larson for Room, i wouldn't be surprised if Mara lost out.

Best Actress: Mara (Carol)

I say Del Toro (Sicario) is a dead cert for Best supporting actor but i think someone like Keaton could give him a run with Spotlight and if Tom Hardy steals The Revenant i wouldn't be surprised if he steals it. I think Blachett has best supporting actress down for Carol.

The Danish Girl hasn't gotten overly great reviews. Most of the ones I've read say Vikander is the best thing about it. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in Supporting Actress.

I put a few quid on Bree Larson ages ago. Hope to see her at least be nominated.

They have the opportunity this year to have some really strong nominees if they aren't swayed by campaigns.

I would almost bet my house on the Best Actress category being Blanchett, Larson, Ronan, Lawrence and one other. I'd love to see Mulligan get one for Suffragette but the film got so much ****ty press for that tshirt thing that I don't think it will happen.

I think sadly campaigns always win out that's why I worry for Larson and Room and Ronan for Brooklyn. They weren't made by big names company. That's why even though Danish Girl seems not to be a great film it will be in the mix cause it has the right people behind it. You always get one every year.

She's ruled herself out of Best actress run and is going for Supporting Actress, i think cause it gives Mara a better chance and I could see Blanchett winning her second best supporting actress Oscar.

I think Larson will be a dead cert for best actress, it's the best reviewed film out of the bunch and it could be a surprise Oscar winner. My worry is that seen as it wasn't made with a big company that the funds to push her performance will be over shadowed by the big boys sadly. I think Vikander will be in the best actress run seen as she's the lead female in Danish Girl.

I forgot Ronan, I thought she was excellent in Brooklyn but I wouldn't be surprised sadly if she lost out on even a Oscar nod. I think getting a Oscar nod will be her best chance. Can't see her winning. Jennifer Lawrence will be in there for Joy, seen as Harvey Weinstein is involved and the Oscars do love Jen (i still think her winning best actress was one of the big gaffs they done, she wasn't bad in Silver Lining Playbooks but it wasn't a performance for me that screamed Oscar). I do see Carey Mulligan been thrown in to mix too.

I think Best actress is going to be the tough call this year. I think Di Caprio has Best actor sealed even before the film he's in is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Ipso wrote: »
    I've only seen a few movies this year, Benicio del Toro must be up there for Sicario.
    I'd love to see George Miller get nominated for Fury Road.

Fury road is my favourite film of the year so far but I can't see it winning the main awards. I've a feeling it will be nominated it certain categories ( visual effects, cinematography, makeup, score etc.)

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think sadly campaigns always win out that's why I worry for Larson and Room and Ronan for Brooklyn. They weren't made by big names company. That's why even though Danish Girl seems not to be a great film it will be in the mix cause it has the right people behind it. You always get one every year.

She's ruled herself out of Best actress run and is going for Supporting Actress, i think cause it gives Mara a better chance and I could see Blanchett winning her second best supporting actress Oscar.

I think Larson will be a dead cert for best actress, it's the best reviewed film out of the bunch and it could be a surprise Oscar winner. My worry is that seen as it wasn't made with a big company that the funds to push her performance will be over shadowed by the big boys sadly. I think Vikander will be in the best actress run seen as she's the lead female in Danish Girl.

I forgot Ronan, I thought she was excellent in Brooklyn but I wouldn't be surprised sadly if she lost out on even a Oscar nod. I think getting a Oscar nod will be her best chance. Can't see her winning. Jennifer Lawrence will be in there for Joy, seen as Harvey Weinstein is involved and the Oscars do love Jen (i still think her winning best actress was one of the big gaffs they done, she wasn't bad in Silver Lining Playbooks but it wasn't a performance for me that screamed Oscar). I do see Carey Mulligan been thrown in to mix too.

I am 99% sure I read that Vikander was being put forward for Supporting, not lead.

I'm still convinced Lawrence got her Oscar to make up for them not giving it to her for Winter's Bone. At least she's the lead in Joy and I saw a trailer for it in the cinema the other day that showed some proper footage (the ones I've seen online have all been a bit flashy and vague) and it looks like it could be decent.

I actually have no idea for the male awards as I just realised all the films I've seen in the cinema this year have been heavily female led. Gleeson and Whishaw were excellent in Suffragette but I don't see them getting a look in. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacob Tremblay get a supporting nom for Room.

Hococop wrote: »
    Fury road is my favourite film of the year so far but I can't see it winning the main awards. I've a feeling it will be nominated it certain categories ( visual effects, cinematography, makeup, score etc.)

At one point Charlize Theron and Brie Larson had the same odds for best actress. 33-1. Theron is way out now and Larson is favourite with most.

I'd love to see Anne Marie Duff nominated for supporting actress for Suffragette, very underrated actress

I'd love to see Anne Marie Duff nominated for supporting actress for Suffragette, very underrated actress

Yeah, I just think Suffragette will struggle because it basically flopped in the US because of the backlash that "Rather be a rebel than a slave" photo shoot got. I know Oscar voters are supposed to watch everything but I just can't see it being a hugely popular choice.

I don't mean to be controversial either, I'm all for more diversity in all forms of media, but after the outrage last year about the lack of diversity can we see a few "token" nominees this year? It's a difficult situation to be in because unless someone was spectacular in something people are going to question whether they're there on merit or to fill a quota. I can't think of anyone this past year who would be at the level someone like Lupita Nyong'o was a few years ago?

• Advertisement

Larsen is too new for the Academy. She only broke through with Short Term 12 a year or so ago, which I reckon a lot of the older membership hasn't seen. I also doubt Room will gain enough traction for her to win.

Barring a sweep by their respective films, I think Blanchett and Lawrence will end up cancelling each other out, leaving Ronan and Rampling to battle it out.

Larsen is too new for the Academy. She only broke through with Short Term 12 a year or so ago, which I reckon a lot of the older membership hasn't seen. I also doubt Room will gain enough traction for her to win.

Barring a sweep by their respective films, I think Blanchett and Lawrence will end up cancelling each other out, leaving Ronan and Rampling to battle it out.

That's assuming Blanchett goes for Lead actress when it seems like Mara might be put forward for lead, Blanchett for supporting. I haven't seen the film but the trailers make it seem like Blanchett is the lead. We shall see.

The more you pay attention to the maneuvering and campaigning the more magic is lost from these things. It's all so cold and calculated.

Interestingly enough Saoirse Ronan wasn't at actress roundtable for The Hollywood Reporter (usually an indicator of nominees), it was Carey Mulligan, Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett, Jane Fonda, Brie Larson, Helen Mirren, Charlotte Rampling and Kate Winslet

Interestingly enough Saoirse Ronan wasn't at actress roundtable for The Hollywood Reporter (usually an indicator of nominees), it was Carey Mulligan, Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett, Jane Fonda, Brie Larson, Helen Mirren, Charlotte Rampling and Kate Winslet

They're the ones featured on the cover of their magazine this week/month.

splashd-actressroundtable.jpg

There's an interesting article on their site about why they're all white. The guy says this interview/photo shoot was put together in early September based on all the buzz/hype surrounding films/actors through festivals, behind the scenes knowledge etc. etc. and apparently there is not one "woman of colour" being talked about as a serious contender this year.

Saoirse Ronan has been in the Oscar conversation since Brooklyn screened at Sundance way back at the start of the year. I would assume her absence has something to do with availability. Unless of course the real hype has died down around her and it's just media who aren't in the loop still bigging her up.

p.s. What's Helen Mirren in that's getting buzz?

That's assuming Blanchett goes for Lead actress when it seems like Mara might be put forward for lead, Blanchett for supporting. I haven't seen the film but the trailers make it seem like Blanchett is the lead. We shall see.

The more you pay attention to the maneuvering and campaigning the more magic is lost from these things. It's all so cold and calculated.

Blanchett is being pushed for lead. It's a Brando/Godfather situation. She's not the main character but she's the title character and bigger star and makes a bigger impression.

They're the ones featured on the cover of their magazine this week/month.

splashd-actressroundtable.jpg

There's an interesting article on their site about why they're all white. The guy says this interview/photo shoot was put together in early September based on all the buzz/hype surrounding films/actors through festivals, behind the scenes knowledge etc. etc. and apparently there is not one "woman of colour" being talked about as a serious contender this year.

Saoirse Ronan has been in the Oscar conversation since Brooklyn screened at Sundance way back at the start of the year. I would assume her absence has something to do with availability. Unless of course the real hype has died down around her and it's just media who aren't in the loop still bigging her up.

p.s. What's Helen Mirren in that's getting buzz?

I think cause of her role in Trumbo, the Bryan Cranston film.

She's a good call for a outside bet for the Oscar, herself and Tom Courtenay have snapped up a few awards in Venice and La AFI film Festival for their performances in 45 years. You know Oscars love giving awards to people who have long standing careers.

I have a feeling sadly Ronan might lose out (not cause she wasn't chosen for the roundtable). I've seen few of these roundtables and half the people they have on the male and female ones don't even end up getting nominations anyway.

Looking at last years one Julianne Moore (Still Alice), Laura Dern (Wild), Patricia Arquette (Boyhood), Hilary Swank (The Homesman), Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything), Reese Witherspoon (Wild) and Amy Adams (Big Eyes)

These two weren't in awards contention at all. Plus Dern and Arquette were in for best supporting.

I think it's a case who's around at the time, who the magazine want for sales and the dead certs.

Blanchett is being pushed for lead. It's a Brando/Godfather situation. She's not the main character but she's the title character and bigger star and makes a bigger impression.

She was but she decided to give it to Mara and go for Supporting actress, well that's the rumours. I think both of these will cancel each other out. But remember Mara beat her at Cannes and many are raving just as much about her then Blanchett. I bet Mara will go for Best actress and Blanchett for supporting, they are my favourites to win too.

You also said Larsson was new to the Oscar so was Lawerance and Lupita Nyong'o didn't stop them winning Oscars.

She was but she decided to give it to Mara and go for Supporting actress, well that's the rumours. I think both of these will cancel each other out. But remember Mara beat her at Cannes and many are raving just as much about her then Blanchett. I bet Mara will go for Best actress and Blanchett for supporting, they are my favourites to win too.

I also read that Blanchett has some other film that could get her a best actress nom and seeing as you can only put yourself forward once per category it would make sense to hedge your bets and put yourself forward for both. It was a month or so ago I read that though, and I have no idea what the other film is so maybe that's not on anymore.

• Advertisement

You also said Larsson was new to the Oscar so was Lawerance and Lupita Nyong'o didn't stop them winning Oscars.

Lawrence had already been nominated (and lost) when she won her Oscar so that's not really true. She was new when nominated for Winter's Bone though, if the performance is good enough it shouldn't matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 johnsheridan

I'm hoping that Mad Max Fury Road will get nominated for best picture. It's amazingly entertaining despite its lack of dialogue. But the actors still convey a lot without speaking. There's a great twist half-way through too, which I won't spoil by discussing it here ;-)

It's not really Blanchett's call. Harvey's paying for it. While I'd love to see Mara win for lead, she's is a safer bet in supporting.

Lawrence had been nominated for Winter's Bone and her star had risen considerably in between. And Nyong'o won Best Supporting, which is a much easier category for newcomers.

I also read that Blanchett has some other film that could get her a best actress nom and seeing as you can only put yourself forward once per category it would make sense to hedge your bets and put yourself forward for both. It was a month or so ago I read that though, and I have no idea what the other film is so maybe that's not on anymore.

Truth with Redford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm hoping Leo finally gets one even though I've not seen Revanent or Spotlight yet.

I saw Carol last night, neither Blanchett or Mara deserve to win (or even a nod).Bland,banal,boring film that moves at a snails pace and lacks chemistry.

If Fury Road dosen't get some nominations I'll eat my hat.

Any buzz are Hanks in Bridge of Spies?He's a solid actor in a world war 2 piece.Seems the go to nomination.

As of now I think the best actor race seems likely to be Michael Fassbender, Eddie Redmayne, Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio with the full spot going to either Will Smith, Ian McKellan or Bryan Cranston

I have seen Matt Damon getting some mention for The Martian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jasnah

What is Charlotte Rampling linked with?

Certainly an outside choice, only noticed here for the first time on screen this week, and it was the small screen at that! She's playing a fantastic role in BBC's London Spy, fantastic actor I thought. Wouldn't mind seeing an outsider winning it, especially if she's been in the industry for so long.

Jasnah wrote: »
    What is Charlotte Rampling linked with?

45 Years.

There was a lot of talk about her a few months ago but it seems to have died down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Has there been any talk of a push of Hardy for Legend?Wouldn't be suprised if that was submitted for consideration

Has there been any talk of a push of Hardy for Legend?Wouldn't be suprised if that was submitted for consideration

Pretty much everything gets put forward for consideration. Didn't Michael Bay put Transformers up for consideration for Best Picture last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Surely it's DiCaprio this year. Supposedly he's been going to extraordinary effort behind the scenes. Of course he could very well be unbelievable in The Revenant, but it'll really be because he's been the bridesmaid so many times in the past. Even though it would have been a travesty if he had actually won in any of the years he was previously nominated, there was always a performance or two on a level above his in any given year. Bad luck on his part, but he's always had good luck in picking Directors to work with.

I find myself caring a slight bit more about the Oscars in recently Of course, being fundamentally more about showbiz than art, it still has all the barely disguised political machinations that makes it hard to take it all seriously at the best of times and downright sickening at the worst. But I do think opening the Best Picture field to ten nominations has had some benefit. I would have been strongly against it at the time and I do know it's more about bringing in more of the filthy lucre than anything else, but it has had the, maybe unintentional, benefit of throwing more diverse fare into the mix. There was a period of time not so long ago, when the type of films getting nominated and, in some cases, winning the big prize was nothing short of a farce. At least now some more leftfield choices are in with a chance of some acknowledgement, if not awards.

• Advertisement

Short-list for the documentary category has been released. Looks like a potentially crowded field. I've seen a couple of them, and would find it hard to pick a favourite.

http://variety.com/2015/film/awards/oscar-unveils-list-of-15-films-on-documentary-feature-short-list-1201651045/

Has it got a general US release yet, could be a long shot contender, Hardy is likely to get in supporting category for The Revenant

I'd nom him for Mad Max too :p

Saoirse Ronan takes New York Film Critics Circle Awards best actress while Michael Keaton is best actor

Carol is best film, screenplay and director

Kristen Stewart wins best supporting actress and Mary Rylance wins best supporting actor

Has it got a general US release yet, could be a long shot contender, Hardy is likely to get in supporting category for The Revenant

I'd nom him for Mad Max too :p

It's been released in America and he won the other night at British Independent Film Awards for Best Actor too for Legend, but I think he deserves it (the film is just okay but his performances are above the material he was given). But I think with Leo all most certain to be nailed on (I be very surprised if he doesn't win best actor at the Oscars). Hardy's performance in The Revenant is getting high praise and I think he could have a better chance at winning that. I wouldn't be surprised if he was nommed in both.

Saoirse Ronan takes New York Film Critics Circle Awards best actress while Michael Keaton is best actor

Carol is best film, screenplay and director

Kristen Stewart wins best supporting actress and Mary Rylance wins best supporting actor

L.A Film Critic's Awards.

Michael Fassbender won for Best Actor for Steve Jobs and Charlotte Rampling for Best actress for 45 Years. Alice Vikander won Best supporting actress for Ex Machina (Kristen Stewart did come in for runner up) and Michael Shannon won for 99 Homes for Best supporting actor. Best Film went to Spotlight (Mad Max Fury Road got runner up but won for three other awards) and Best Director George Miller (Fury Road).

British Independent Film Awards

Ex Machina, won for Best Film, Screenplay and Director. Best Actor went to Tom Hardy for Legend and Best Actress went to Saoirse Ronan for Brooklyn. Brendan Gleeson won Best supporting actor for Suffragette and Olivia Coleman won best supporting actress for the Lobster. Lenny Abrahamson won Best international film for Room.

At the moment Carol and Spotlight look like the favourites to be slugging it out in the best film of the year awards along with Fury Road popping up here and there. I think Kristen Stewart could be in for a shout for Best supporting actress, Alice Vikander could find herself up for Best actress and Best supporting, but I think she more then likely be up for the Danish Girl rather then Ex Machina. I think Charlotte Rampling could be a dark horse for Best actress for 45 years.

I think Jennifer Lawrence could be ruled out this year for best actress seen as her new film Joy, has been getting mixed reviews. So it looks like that won't be troubling any awards contention. But J.Law and David O Russell are loved by the Oscars so it wouldn't surprise me if she or the film was given noms across the board.

I would absolutely love if Ex Machina won an Oscar for something!

http://variety.com/2015/film/awards/sag-award-nominations-2016-nominees-full-list-1201657169/

Sag Nominations

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
    BRYAN CRANSTON / Dalton Trumbo – “TRUMBO” (Bleecker Street)
    JOHNNY DEPP / James “Whitey” Bulger – “BLACK MASS” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
    LEONARDO DiCAPRIO / Hugh Glass – “THE REVENANT” (20th Century Fox)
    MICHAEL FASSBENDER / Steve Jobs – “STEVE JOBS” (Universal Pictures)
    EDDIE REDMAYNE / Einar Wegener/Lili Elbe – “THE DANISH GIRL” (Focus Features)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
    CATE BLANCHETT / Carol Aird – “CAROL” (The Weinstein Company)
    BRIE LARSON / Ma – “ROOM” (A24)
    HELEN MIRREN / Maria Altmann – “WOMAN IN GOLD” (The Weinstein Company)
    SAOIRSE RONAN / Eilis – “BROOKLYN” (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
    SARAH SILVERMAN / Laney Brooks – “I SMILE BACK” (Broad Green Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
    CHRISTIAN BALE / Michael Burry – “THE BIG SHORT” (Paramount Pictures)
    IDRIS ELBA / Commandant – “BEASTS OF NO NATION” (Netflix)
    MARK RYLANCE / Abel Rudolph – “BRIDGE OF SPIES” (DreamWorks)
    MICHAEL SHANNON / Rick Carver – “99 HOMES” (Broad Green Pictures)
    JACOB TREMBLAY / Jack – “ROOM” (A24)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
    ROONEY MARA / Therese Belivet – “CAROL” (The Weinstein Company)
    RACHEL McADAMS / Sacha Pfeiffer – “SPOTLIGHT” (Open Road Films)
    HELEN MIRREN / Hedda Hopper – “TRUMBO” (Bleecker Street)
    ALICIA VIKANDER / Gerda Wegener – “THE DANISH GIRL” (Focus Features)
    KATE WINSLET / Joanna Hoffman – “STEVE JOBS” (Universal Pictures)

http://variety.com/2015/film/awards/sag-award-nominations-2016-nominees-full-list-1201657169/

Sag Nominations

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
    BRYAN CRANSTON / Dalton Trumbo – “TRUMBO” (Bleecker Street)
    JOHNNY DEPP / James “Whitey” Bulger – “BLACK MASS” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
    LEONARDO DiCAPRIO / Hugh Glass – “THE REVENANT” (20th Century Fox)
    MICHAEL FASSBENDER / Steve Jobs – “STEVE JOBS” (Universal Pictures)
    EDDIE REDMAYNE / Einar Wegener/Lili Elbe – “THE DANISH GIRL” (Focus Features)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
    CATE BLANCHETT / Carol Aird – “CAROL” (The Weinstein Company)
    BRIE LARSON / Ma – “ROOM” (A24)
    HELEN MIRREN / Maria Altmann – “WOMAN IN GOLD” (The Weinstein Company)
    SAOIRSE RONAN / Eilis – “BROOKLYN” (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
    SARAH SILVERMAN / Laney Brooks – “I SMILE BACK” (Broad Green Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
    CHRISTIAN BALE / Michael Burry – “THE BIG SHORT” (Paramount Pictures)
    IDRIS ELBA / Commandant – “BEASTS OF NO NATION” (Netflix)
    MARK RYLANCE / Abel Rudolph – “BRIDGE OF SPIES” (DreamWorks)
    MICHAEL SHANNON / Rick Carver – “99 HOMES” (Broad Green Pictures)
    JACOB TREMBLAY / Jack – “ROOM” (A24)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
    ROONEY MARA / Therese Belivet – “CAROL” (The Weinstein Company)
    RACHEL McADAMS / Sacha Pfeiffer – “SPOTLIGHT” (Open Road Films)
    HELEN MIRREN / Hedda Hopper – “TRUMBO” (Bleecker Street)
    ALICIA VIKANDER / Gerda Wegener – “THE DANISH GIRL” (Focus Features)
    KATE WINSLET / Joanna Hoffman – “STEVE JOBS” (Universal Pictures)

Well It's great to see Fassbender and Ronan get nominated. I'm surprised to see Benico Del Toro for Sicario and Tom Hardy for The Revenant not get a Best Supporting Nod. I thought Elba was great in Beasts of no Nation but I thought the young lad was more deserving imo, also surprised Michael Keaon wasn't nominated for Spotlight. I think Rylance will get that award for Best Supporting Actor. I'm surprised Charlotte Rampling wasn't nominated for best actress for 45 years. Sarah Silverman is probably the biggest shock, I think Brie Larsson could win Best actress. I think Rooney Mara will win Best Supporting for sure. I think it's fair to say Leo has Best actor bagged already and I would be shocked if he didn't. If it's not him then I think Fassbender has a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Looks like Carol is picking up momentum, 5 nominations at the Golden Globes - including best picture drama, director and both actresses, interestingly both nominated in the leading category.
    2 nominations for Alicia Vikander too, in the leading for the Danish Girl and the supporting for Ex Machina.

Di Caprio, Redmayne, Fassbender amd Cranston seem to lock the 4 of the 5 leading actors for the Oscars too.
    Glad to see Saoirse Ronan nominated here too, and hoping to see Lili Tomlin winning the comedy leading actress category.

And yeah!! Mad Max nominated for best Picture!!

The whole list is in the GoldenGlobes.com website (not sure if I am allowed to post a link to the article, so I'll leave it to that, it's under the winners and nominees section)

http://variety.com/2015/film/awards/critics-choice-award-nominations-2016-1201660217/

Best Picture -
    The Big Short
    Bridge of Spies
    Brooklyn
    Carol
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    Room
    Sicario
    Spotlight

• Advertisement