Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing off for no work

Options
  • 03-12-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been unemployed for the last 2 months. 2 weeks ago I got a phone call from a friend telling me about a possible job. I went to the site the following day for 8 am and had a safety induction. After the induction I was told to wait until the foreman arrived in and he would outline what was to be done. By 12 he still had not arrived in and I was then told to go home. My friend was embarrassed and gave me the foremans number to sort it out with him. I contacted the guy that evening and he apologised for wasting my time but said he had no other work for the next few weeks. I was a bit p1ssed off but thats life. I didn't bother to sign off that day, I didn't see the point as I was already down travel and lunch money and no job to show for it.

Yesterday I got a phonecall from my friend to say that Social Welfare had raided the site and taken the site log in book for the past month. I didnt really worry about that as I wasnt working there so it didnt matter to me but he told me that the guy i was supposed to have worked for was caught with some unregistered workers on site and I probably should have signed off that day. Now I'm worried that they will stop my benefits. What do I do? Should I contact them or forget about it?

What is really bugging me is that I have always been 100 % straight in my dealings with welfare, I have only been on the dole for about 6 months in my life and i have taken sh1t jobs that barely paid me to go in to rather than draw dole but now because of some hungover ass I could have questions raised about my work status. If I had worked I would have signed off, I didnt work so I didnt. What are other peoples views on this? Could i be in trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I don't think that you can be in trouble.

(1) You were available for work on that day.
    (2) You were not in receipt of any pay for that day.

At worst you may have to explain what happened if it does become an issue.

Perhaps you should strike first and bring it up on your next visit to the SW office.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Surely you going in and meeting with them but without actually working, would be classed as an interview? I mean, you don't have to sign off for an interview so why would you have to sign off for what you did?

If anyone comes asking questions, say that you went in for an interview for a position but unfortunately nothing came off it.

In fact, the SW couldn't possibly revoke your benefits as what you were doing could be described as "actively seeking employment".

No?

Advertisement