Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go for the interview?

Options
  • 03-12-2011 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been invited for an interview in a company in another country. Whilst looking at the company website I discovered to my horror that someone I lived with previously, who bullied and harassed myself and our fellow house mates is working for that company as a trainee. They are working part-time in an office near the main office where I would be working if I got the job.

I am fully qualified and this job is full time. I'm seriously considering not going for the interview because of this person and our history. Whilst I was living with this person they had what I can only describe as psychotic episodes and from what I hear they are still weird. When they are qualified I assume that they will get a job in the company and will be a colleague of mine as they are married and from the city where the office is located.

I know this is all conditional, as I haven't been offered the job. On one hand I am repulsed by the idea of ever seeing this person again. On the other I am desperate to find a full time job as my current contract runs out in the middle of next year. Obviously I would have to pay for flights and get time off to attend this interview. Has anyone ever been in a similar position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Go for the job, that person is in a different office on part-time basis. Work is to hard to get without that crap going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would you take the job if offered it? I don't think so, from the tone of your posts. In which case, I wouldn't go.

TBH, don't think I'd be paying for fares to an overseas interview myself: if they want to see me, they'll pay or learn to use video interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

JustMary wrote: »
    Would you take the job if offered it? I don't think so, from the tone of your posts. In which case, I wouldn't go. TBH, don't think I'd be paying for fares to an overseas interview myself: if they want to see me, they'll pay or learn to use video interviews.
    Thanks for the replies. I suppose my initial post was a little biased. The cons are: the proximity to this person, low pay, it would be a step back from my current role in terms of responsibility, I don't know how easy it will be to be promoted or leave for a better position given the present climate, it's not a vibrant place to live. Pros: good annual leave, the environment is very scenic, it would be cheap to live there, I can continue working in my profession, it's full time and seems to be long term. - I may be able to get expenses for the flight, I haven't asked yet I'm still looking at my options.

Advertisement