Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have NEVER had a break on my 8 hour shifts for the last 2 1/2 years... please help!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Eire362436

Thank you, Toilet Fusion, it's good to hear some proper advice. Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

How about growing some balls and speaking to your employer directly rather than whinging on an internet forum?

Jesus, whats wrong with people these days?

Genius, Fat Tony, GENIUS! You think I haven't done that, with no response nand 4 years of trying just about every avenue possible? These forums are supposed to be for advice, I thought, and I'm here looking for that advice, not self-serving egocentric triumphalism. Give yourself a fekkin uppercut- it can only help!

It would appear to me, as a 'newbie' to this, that the forum is populated with a small, yet insidious minority of psuedo apologists and cyber voyeurs looking to peddle their own agendas of judgement, belittlement, and cynicism. Shame on you. To those of you that have offered genuine, empathetic insights, I thank you from my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Eire362436 wrote: »
    Genius, Fat Tony, GENIUS! You think I haven't done that, with no response nand 4 years of trying just about every avenue possible? These forums are supposed to be for advice, I thought, and I'm here looking for that advice, not self-serving egocentric triumphalism. Give yourself a fekkin uppercut- it can only help!

You come across as the type of person who deserves everything you get from your employer, He is probably reading this thread now and laughing..

I rest my case, Charlemont. And if we all got 'what we deserved' from our employers, the world would be a much better place. Or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eire362436 wrote: »
    It would appear to me, as a 'newbie' to this, that the forum is populated with a small, yet insidious minority of psuedo apologists and cyber voyeurs looking to peddle their own agendas of judgement, belittlement, and cynicism. Shame on you. To those of you that have offered genuine, empathetic insights, I thank you from my heart.

Eire362436 - apologies, we normally manage to give better quality advice here, you are unfortunate to have had replies from people who are being less than helpful.

Your situation is one that I hate reading about: what your employer is doing is totally illegal, but in the current labour market it's very hard to take a stand against it, so it's very hard to give you any advice at all.

Bottom line is, you need to decide how much you are prepared to put up with, and how much you can risk being fired over a trumped-up issue, if you do take a stand. One option is to just start taking breaks - but I realise that depending on the industry, this could have serious safety / customer consequences, so may not be an option at all.

Personally I would suggest looking for another job before starting legal action ... and yes, in theory at least you should be able to claim for (documented) breaks and overtime.

Everyone else:
    Whilst I can appreciate the point some of you are making, the fact is that making it the way you have doesn't help the OP in any way: s/he needs concrete suggestions, not sanctimonious general statements.

In short, if you cannot say something helpful then please do not post. Any more uphelpful comments, and warnings will be issued.

/moderation

Just Mary- thank you for your input, I thought long and hard about joining boards.ie as I was keen to get some sound advice from like-minded people, but a little hesitant as I have heard it can become a venue for personal agendas.

Many of the contributors have been thoughtful, thought-provoking and genuine. In fact, their advice has convinced me of the moral justness of pursuing a case, which I am now doing. I am thankful to them for their insights and input- it is much appreciated.

Good luck and thank you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I fear that the public/private "divide" is a device concocted by the news media to divide workers and keep them powerless. Nobody gains if a worker feels they have to work with no breaks for long periods in fear of their boss. Also nobody gains by putting public sector workers in the same mess as a lot of the private sector, long hours, uncertain or minimal breaks, litlle or no security etc.

While envious of their wages hours and conditions I don't think it "efficient","right", or "progress" if these conditions are reduced. It is likely that private sector wages and conditions will also be reduced if employers see an opportunity to leverage market opportunity if public sector workers feel pressurised to enter into or compete in the private sector. in the end it will be the lowest paid and least secure workers who will suffer the most if public sector workers are hit with reductions....there will not be any automatic transfer of wealth from public sector reductions of wages/ conditions to their counterparts in the private sector. It is more likely that the government will keep the money to bail out their banker cronies and keep their European Masters happy. Employers in the private sector will use the reduced circumstances in the public sector to further reduce private sector pay and conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Seriously folks just because someone says they're a Civil Servant doesn't make it a reality.

Mr Dread = Troll Not Civil Servant.

The leave gives you away ;)

To the OP best of luck in whatever action you take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭anticonno16

My mother raised 15 of us and never got so much as a break as my dad was out drinking and poking every night.

Think of that.

______

As stated earlier: If you cannot say something helpful then please do not post. Any more uphelpful comments, and warnings will be issued. A warning has been issued.

/moderation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Start work at 9:15. Have 30 mins then at 10:45.
    Then lunch at 1pm for 1 hour 15mins. Then home at 5:30pm.
    Monday to Friday, 30.5 days leave. 50K per year.
    I got into this position at 25 by doing things by the book and not letting scumbags walk over me.

50K is the average wage in the public sector, so no you are not the cream of the crop you are only average in a distinctly less than average workforce.

We all know that you mostly get somewhere in the PS by having your nose stuck up some higher ups arse and that if you are a difficult staff member you either get shoved sideways out of the way or "promoted" out of the way.
    I'm in the real world. That wage I get every month is real. It could have been real for you as well as they were recruiting in 2008/9. Highly competitive to get in though. As I said, the cream of the crop.

Oh we're all so envious, can I be the best of a very bad bunch please :D. It would bring shame on me to work for the public sector, the shambles that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I cannot see this going anywhere good. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement