Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoolander 2

Options
  • 26-02-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Looks like the sequel is in the works

About time too!
    It has been nine years since the first Zoolander taught us some invaluable lessons about the modelling industry.

But it’s never too late for a sequel. Yes, Zoolander 2 is in the works, with Justin Theroux and Ben Stiller co-writing a new fashion-lampooning script. This time, Theroux is all set to direct.

The two have worked together before on Tropic Thunder, which the pair co-wrote and Stiller directed. Theroux also recently scribbled the Iron Man 2 script for Jon Favreau.

The writer says that he plans to attend the fashion week in Paris to “immerse” himself in what is currently en vogue. But he shouldn’t be looking to splash out on too many fancy costumes – Paramount want to make Zoo 2 for a teeny $50m.

How about the rest of the cast? Owen Wilson is yet to be attached to reprise his role as Hansel, but word on the street is that Jonah Hill is in line to play the film’s villain.

Having waited almost a decade, this could be the perfect time for a second Zoolander. Ten years on, and with added wrinkles and (we assume) less hair, could Derek be finding it difficult to stay young and fresh?

The rumoured casting of the very much younger Jonah as the villain seems to support that theory. Official reports state that Derek is now running a modelling agency and looking after his young son; will he be lured back to the catwalk? More when we get it.

Must admit, while I like Justin Theroux as an actor I never realised he had such a varied career off the camera. He's even voiced a character in Modern Warfare 2!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Zoolander is one of the greatest comedies of all time. I'll definitely be going to see this. It's hard to imagine it living up to or surpassing the original though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I loved Zoolander - eugoogly -and Tropic Thunder was decent enough. Sequels rarely work.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Zoolander is one of the most over rated "comedy" movies of modern times,like Anchorman,I cannot fathom its popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Zoolander is one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures, but the film is pretty complete in terms of a resolution so this news feels a little like a sequel for the sake of it.
    By the end of Zoolander, Derek is married with kids implying the lethal combination in the sequel of a cute kid and a gurning actor that I tend to recoil in horror from.
    Ben Stiller is getting a bit long in the tooth for the role and the first film has already played out the whole 'aging diva' in a crisis of confidence versus a ' hot young star' dynamic that makes any plot based on a Zoolander comeback feel tired before a reel of film has been shot.

Zoolander was a lightening strike, like a good film based on a Saturday Night Live sketch tends to be in that it only seems to happen once in a blue moon and never in the same place. It's hard enough to stretch a one dimensional sketch based character out into a movie, and stretching it into a sequel could easily diminish the charm of the original (Wayne’s World 2 anybody?)
    I'm not sold on Justin Theroux either he's less of a renaissance man than a jack of all trades and Tropic Thunder was an absolute dud, it was sporadically funny but at the end of the day it took every mildly amusing joke and rode it for all it was worth across the desert of a pretty thin plot until it finally died of thirst for the want of laughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Zoolander is awful. I may have giggled the first time but I couldn't bear it a second watch. Tropic Thunder was also pretty sh1te. I think i'll have to give this one a miss. The last good Ben Stiller movies was dodgeball.

Comedies should rarely ever get a sequel and Zoolander doesn't have the characters to hold up another movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

wow if ben stiller is writing the script then maybe xzoolander will actually be original this time! Because there is no sequal to glamorama (the book ben plagerised for zoolander) so this could be interesting!

stretching it into a sequel could easily diminish the charm of the original (Wayne’s World 2 anybody?)

Ah come on!! :mad:

Wayne's World 2 is a classic!

"So there we were in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon..." - great speech!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Anchorman is awful. Tropic Thunder is awful

Waynes world 2 is EPIC.
    Zoolander is also EPIC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You know Jonah Hill could work, I could see him as this awesome fashion designer but someone who secretly hates everything about the industry, and has absolute contempt for models. His beefs would obviously stem from being the fat guy in an industry that treats fat people as non-human. :P
    wow if ben stiller is writing the script then maybe xzoolander will actually be original this time! Because there is no sequal to glamorama (the book ben plagerised for zoolander) so this could be interesting!

What you talking bout Willis? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Oh dear lord WHY

I loved Zoolander but i HATED Tropic Thunder, why can't they just leave Zoolander alone, without tarnishing it with a sequel which is bound to fail as sequels generally do :(:(:(

Bad, Bad Times

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Zoolander is a complete film, it doesn't need a sequel. I think they've mined all the best material from the fashion world; it sounds completely like a cash in. I don't see how this new one could compare. I absolutely love Zoolander; it had so many great lines.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have no want to see a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I dunno. I wouldn't necessarily write this one off too quick. Jonah's a great comedic talent and I can see him working very well as the fashion designer villian. I'm looking forward to seeing if they can pull it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Jonah Hill is in line to play the film’s villain

Oh would he ever fcuk off? Also he's too fat to be in a fashion movie.

I'm so pissed, they're going to ruin my all-time favourite film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

phasers wrote: »

Um, it's a comedy, personally I think the fat guy hating on the fashion industry schtick could work very well. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Please no... all we need now is that ****ing Anchorman sequel. Jocks everywhere will be rejoicing.

I suppose Will Ferrell is a typical fashionista then!?

sprinkles wrote: »
    I suppose Will Ferrell is a typical fashionista then!?
    Well he wasn't fat that's for sure.

Not exactly skinny either! And in any case, it's a comedy and a fat male model could work very well - if in fact he is to be a male model in the film!

hair-zoolander-431.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    What you talking bout Willis? :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamorama#Zoolander

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Zoolander is a complete film, it doesn't need a sequel. I think they've mined all the best material from the fashion world; it sounds completely like a cash in. I don't see how this new one could compare. I absolutely love Zoolander; it had so many great lines.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have no want to see a sequel.

This. It's pretty much a self-contained film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I wonder will the sequel be as bad or even worse than the first one. Absolute tripe, how anyone can call ben stiller a comedian. He's a fu<king twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Ben Stillers WORST film. And Owen Wilson's WORST film too. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source
    During a recent Big Year junket, Wilson revealed that Hansel will suffer a disfiguring injury – similar to Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky - which seriously hampers his modelling career.
    Add that to the last details Ben Stiller revealed (below) and Zoolander 2 is sounding more and more like next season’s essential film. For serious.
    “Where it’s at is we’ve completed the script, Justin Theroux and I, and handed it into the studio. Now the studio has the script and we’re at that point where we’re waiting to see what they want to do.
    “It’s ten years later and most of it is set in Europe. I don’t want to give away too much, but it’s basically Derek and Hansel ten years later – though the last movie ended on a happy note a lot of things have happened in the meantime.
    “Their lives have changed and they’re not really relevant anymore. It’s a new world for them. Will Ferrell is written into the script and he’s expressed interest in doing it. I think Mugatu is an integral part of the Zoolander story, so yes, he features in a big way.”

Wasnt too keen on the first one Stiller annoys me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

:eek: i have to see this, absolutley adored the first one, plus have to say i do have a sort of soft spot for mr stiller ;):o
    any idea when its out
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Well he wasn't fat that's for sure.[/QUOTE

He is no longer fat,I guess yuor happy now!

Well he wasn't fat that's for sure.[/QUOTE

He is no longer fat,I guess yuor happy now!
    His head looks enormous now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

alot of you seem to be commenting on Jonah Hill's weight. Have any of you actually seen him as of late? He's lost all the fat is now healthy weight.
    Besides, his weight (actually lack thereof) should have no say in his role of this movie.
    Will ferrell was in the first movie and is HE in great shape in that movie? I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

RoRoCullen wrote: »
    Ben Stillers WORST film. And Owen Wilson's WORST film too. lol

Meh, it's the same as all his other films.

Advertisement