Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

jmx009 wrote: »
    General Consensus is that Mcgregor is going to win.

Personally, i think Aldo is a better fighter than Mcgregor however Mcgregor knows how to get into a mans head and as they say, if you fight with anger, you are bound to loose.

As a fight fan, i think Mcgregor winning is great for the sport. He brings in a lot of attention to the sport. I will be a bit dissapointed to see Aldo loose though, considering he was a dominant champion for so long and so on but i guess its time for him to step down.

I think he was in his head for the last fight but not this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good interview Andrew! I liked how he has stopped pushing Croker. As class as it would be, he should be going where they actually want him and see the business it brings. Have Croker even given an update from their side or just keeping quiet?

He seems very focused and good to hear the amount of work he has put in before heading to the US as he's just gonna be swamped by media. Gas how he didn't have a clue who Kimmell was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I think he was in his head for the last fight but not this time around.

If someone was in your head I don’t think it changes much with just time passing, they just haven’t been in the same room as each other (one time we’ve seen Aldo didn’t look much different than before).

I think it’ll all come flooding back come fight week and they’re in close proximity with each other over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Foxtrol wrote: »
    If someone was in your head I don’t think it changes much with just time passing, they just haven’t been in the same room as each other (one time we’ve seen Aldo didn’t look much different than before).

I think it’ll all come flooding back come fight week and they’re in close proximity with each other over and over again.

Yeah, I agree. Conor has a week to wreck his head and reopen the wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Conor looks to be in unbelievable shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

It says in the video about the high numbers of Irish going over to Vegas for 194.....were are these numbers? Are they published anywhere or did someone announce something? I'd be interested to know and hadn't heard anything about it......outside of the boardsies I know going the rest of the arena could be empty for all I know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Devastator wrote: »
    It says in the video about the high numbers of Irish going over to Vegas for 194.....were are these numbers? Are they published anywhere or did someone announce something? I'd be interested to know and hadn't heard anything about it......outside of the boardsies I know going the rest of the arena could be empty for all I know :p

I remember reading online (can't remember where) a while after the fight was announced that the travel agents were having nearly double the enquiries and bookings as UFC 189.

The caveat to this though is that I don't think there will be as many Irish travelling from the likes of Oz this time. There were loads of Irish who live in Oz who travelled over for 189. There also won't be any J1 students in the states this time of the year.

Think we will still be there in force. Can't wait myself. Thursday 2 weeks I head out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

After watching that it seems like a cert that croker won't happen, and fair play to Andrew for picking it up Conor looked ready to go you can get that vibe off him, phenomenal shape aswell at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

ASOT wrote:
    After watching that it seems like a cert that croker won't happen, and fair play to Andrew for picking it up Conor looked ready to go you can get that vibe off him, phenomenal shape aswell at the moment.

He looks lean and healthy. Is he 5'9"? Looks like he's about 160-165 lbs in the vid if so, shouldn't be such a drastic cut for the fight this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Glad croker more than likely wont happen. Twould be a terrible circus altogether if it did. General media would use every angle to sling mud at the sport and help stoke up the residents for good measure ramping it up the closer we get. It would also attract the worst sorts and they would be more visible than a roofed arena location.

He looks lean and healthy. Is he 5'9"? Looks like he's about 160-165 lbs in the vid if so, shouldn't be such a drastic cut for the fight this time

He's apparently that height but in real life he seems a lot bigger. My mates 6 foot and when we met him he was firstly comparable I think it's his frame, some size like. Yeah I'd say ****ing up his knee made the Mendes cut alot worse, looks lean and healthy there.

I asked a while asked a while back If it would be easier to try gradually loose the weight leading up to it instead of drastically doing so.

Think someone here said it makes it harder to put back on for the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He's pushing 170 there, that's as big as I've seen him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

SevereMMA wrote: »

Whose the aikido black belt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I asked a while asked a while back If it would be easier to try gradually loose the weight leading up to it instead of drastically doing so.

Think someone here said it makes it harder to put back on for the fight.

Yeah, it's better to cut the weight in as short a window as your body can take. You're not losing weight so much as you're severely dehydrating yourself so all you're losing is the water in your body, which is brutal. Then you rehydrate yourself right after the weigh-ins up until the fight. Someone here will explain it better than I can though, but that's essentially the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Lukker- wrote:
    He's pushing 170 there, that's as big as I've seen him.

I dunno, I'm the same height and weigh 170lbs and a have similar build but have a bit more fat on me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

3 weeks out he goes on a serious diet,lack of carbs and lots of media = pain in the arse

I remember reading online (can't remember where) a while after the fight was announced that the travel agents were having nearly double the enquiries and bookings as UFC 189.

The caveat to this though is that I don't think there will be as many Irish travelling from the likes of Oz this time. There were loads of Irish who live in Oz who travelled over for 189. There also won't be any J1 students in the states this time of the year.

Think we will still be there in force. Can't wait myself. Thursday 2 weeks I head out.

yeah I was just wondering because the lad doing the interview said it like he had info on it. Hate the way travel agents can buy up bulk lots of tickets for their packages, I know some people are lazy and want everything together but pushes prices up for all of us....or in some cases(other sports) means there are no tickets left.

2 weeks? :eek: **** I had in my head 3 weeks! I gotta start organising things, I leave on the Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Everyone on the card will be sparring until a week out id guess once we have no injurues by the 5th of dec everything should be ok (weight issue aside)

TBH the whole pre lim card could get injured and I wouldn't care too much aslong as the main card stays as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Would be class if Ais was ready to step in and take on Torres, winnable fight and jump the rankings.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Would be class if Ais was ready to step in and take on Torres, winnable fight and jump the rankings.

It would be class, but it's not a winnable fight for Ais IMO. Torres is a level or two above her, and Ais needs a win next to avoid the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

I'm almost relieved. Never in a million years was a card such as this stay together without one single injury. Didn't really care about this fight anyway... Hopefully it stays at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

martyos121 wrote: »
    It would be class, but it's not a winnable fight for Ais IMO. Torres is a level or two above her, and Ais needs a win next to avoid the cut.

Yep disregard Torres TUF showing and she usually is decent all rounder she easily takes Ais to a decision most likely although doubt that would see Ais get cut either,Carla Esparza v Torres makes more sense.

I don't think there's any chance Ais steps in. She has enough trouble with the weight usually with a 6 or 8 week camp, let alone two weeks

dulux99 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any chance Ais steps in. She has enough trouble with the weight usually with a 6 or 8 week camp, let alone two weeks

Unless they had absolutely no intention(or injured) of fighting in that week I think it would be extremely foolish for any Irish fighter not to be in shape should they get a chance to step in as injury replacement. Especially Ais though considering this possible fight on 194 but theres also the FN card with straw weight headliner(thats already lost a Calderwood) & another fight on that card.

It's not going to be Ais as a replacement

https://twitter.com/aisydaly/status/669243719200202752

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I think Tecia would smash her up. She'd be one of the strawweights I'd be hoping for Ais to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

2 more weeks and i will be on my way

2 FU****G WEEKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Just a quick question. I've seen Conor mention in some interviews that just prior to signing with the UFC, he briefly walked away from the sport because a teammate of his suffered a career ending injury... Does anyone know who this teammate was and what happened him?

Must have been a pretty close companion to have such a big impact on Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

CM24 wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I've seen Conor mention in some interviews that just prior to signing with the UFC, he briefly walked away from the sport because a teammate of his suffered a career ending injury... Does anyone know who this teammate was and what happened him?

Must have been a pretty close companion to have such a big impact on Conor.

I know of Conor doing a runner but it wasn't because someone got injured...

I know of Conor doing a runner but it wasn't because someone got injured...

Was just reading the article about it, it seems the ending of his friend's career had plenty to do with it actually, made him really think about whether he wanted to keep going, he then totally gave up on it, and then the UFC came calling.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/3/29/8307841/ufc-189-conor-mcgregor-nearly-gave-up-on-mma-two-years-ago-i-was-just-done-mma-

Aldo saying hes much better prepared for the southpaw stance this time around.

Would him sparring more southpaws really make a big difference?

martyos121 wrote: »
    Was just reading the article about it, it seems the ending of his friend's career had plenty to do with it actually, made him really think about whether he wanted to keep going, he then totally gave up on it, and then the UFC came calling.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/3/29/8307841/ufc-189-conor-mcgregor-nearly-gave-up-on-mma-two-years-ago-i-was-just-done-mma-

Again, I remember him doing a runner but it was nothing to do with anyone getting injured...

Again, I remember him doing a runner but it was nothing to do with anyone getting injured...

Couldn't have sworn it was to do with him taking ticket money, the guts of two grand? Kavanagh had to go around to his house and then got him back down the gym.... But I could be way off.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Couldn't have sworn it was to do with him taking ticket money, the guts of two grand? Kavanagh had to go around to his house and then got him back down the gym.... But I could be way off.

That would be the one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I thought the ticket money thing was a lot earlier then the one martyos is talking about. That would have been nearer to the Duffy loss which the interview mentions 9 weeks before the UFC debut

The more I hear about mcgregors back story, the more I think it would make a great film. Of course, it all depends on what happens over the next five years, but it's bound to be just as dramatic!

Saipanne wrote: »
    The more I hear about mcgregors back story, the more I think it would make a great film. Of course, it all depends on what happens over the next five years, but it's bound to be just as dramatic!

The part where he carried around a bar off curling weights seemed to have disappeared, I remember this being prominent in his story of being bullied. Some man all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

This thread is could be mistaken as the McGregor nut hug society. I'd say he will have to watch his back on the 12th of December going by some of the posts in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

This thread is could be mistaken as the McGregor nut hug society. I'd say he will have to watch his back on the 12th of December going by some of the posts in here.

Blasphemy !

• Advertisement

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Nut hug... that's a new one. Is that a Jiu Jitsu move or something? You can imagine the commentary.

"He's going for a nut hug. This is not good, Aldo has gotta get out of this. McGregor is going for it. He has him! Aldo is in trouble! He's tapped! It's all over! Just! Like! That!"

Followed by the fakest tears Joe Rogan can muster.

Friday was already looking busy

CUg5ZizVEAAsNES.jpg

Incidentally, whats the Las Vegas Fight shop like to buy anything from? (Decent value or rip the arse out of it,etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

How come Cain is allowed to this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

dave1982 wrote: »
    How come Cain is allowed to this ?

They're only obliged to wear Reebok gear on their fight weeks, bar a few like McGregor who are actual Reebok athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i find it halarious now in the post fight inetrviews with Rogan, whereas before the fighter and his corner would be rushing to put on their sponsors shirts/hats now they just can't be arsed :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement