Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 193 - Rousey v Holm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    I apologise for the rude response's. However if really annoys me people picking up on spelling. I type very quick so i don't really check my work. I don't think i should have to. I got an A2 in higher level english so i can spell but i don't need to justify myself to anyone on here. I just find it really petty to point spelling mistakes out but if that what you get your kicks from then continue to do so. I didn't check this so please run it through the spell check for me.

I don't think anyone genuinely had an issue with your spelling, it was more the tone of your post in general. Talking about people spouting bollix and not knowing anything about the sport.

Which was really a very bizarre post considering that you were saying virtually the same as the previous posters. It was very weird tbh
    She out for six months no matter what on the commission. Head injuries. It comes atomic with the sport. Do any of you guys on here really know anything about the sport. Six months is automatic with concussion. It will drop back with doctor reports scans etc. Sweet jesus the amount of bollix people spout without knowing anything about any sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Axwell wrote: »
    She was after receiving plastic surgery on her lip and no doubt her face is still pretty swollen and beat up, this is why she was hiding her face behind the pillow..how you tie that to being a bad loser I dont know..

She does and has done MMA for many many years and you think she's concerned about cuts and bruises? If she is, then she's totally in the wrong game altogether, as is any fighter who covers their bruises/cuts. They have been cut and bruised so many bloody times that most don't even care any more...it's just part of the territory. It's clear as day she wanted none of the paparazzi. Hiding her bruises my eye.

Rousey via Decision
    Andre 3000 wrote: »
    She does and has done MMA for many many years and you think she's concerned about cuts and bruises? If she is, then she's totally in the wrong game altogether, as is any fighter who covers their bruises/cuts. They have been cut and bruised so many bloody times that most don't even care any more...it's just part of the territory. It's clear as day she wanted none of the paparazzi. Hiding her bruises my eye.
    Because plastic surgery = bruises :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rousey via Submission

Doesn't set a good example either. She says she wants to revolutinse women's MMA (and has to a great extent, fair play to her), but then being ashamed of losing and hiding her scars. If I fought a championship fight in the UFC and came away with a busted lip and a broken nose I'd wear it like a badge of honour. She stood up and tried to fight a boxer, and came up well short. Nothing at all to be ashamed of.

Now as you said, she could very well just be avoiding the press, but I don't think that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

martyos121 wrote: »
    Doesn't set a good example either. She says she wants to revolutinse women's MMA (and has to a great extent, fair play to her), but then being ashamed of losing and hiding her scars. If I fought a championship fight in the UFC and came away with a busted lip and a broken nose I'd wear it like a badge of honour. She stood up and tried to fight a boxer, and came up well short. Nothing at all to be ashamed of.

Now as you said, she could very well just be avoiding the press, but I don't think that's the case.

Of course she doesn't want her messed up face plastered all over the press. I doubt many fighters are hounded to the extent that she is after a fight. Some fighters wear sunglasses after they've lost. Why do we hear fighters taunting each other after fights about scars they were given by the other. I doubt it's seen as a badge of honour more like a reminder when you look in the mirror of the loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Mellor wrote: »
    Because plastic surgery = bruises :confused:

I wasn't referring to the plastic surgery per se, but even at that bruising is pretty common in facial plastic surgery actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rousey via Decision
    Look lads, a cosmetic surgeon applying sutures isn't the same as getting "plastic surgery" she just had her lip sowed up. No different than Robbie and Rory.

Rousey via Decision
    It's a total cop out. If she makes weight and passes the testing regime nobody has s leg to stand on in regards to whether or not they fight her. If Rousey regains the belt and Cyborg makes weight and Rousey refuses to fight her she should be criticised.
    Hmmm, not sure I agree with that.
    Passing a drug test now doesn't change the past (not does it mean she is clean now, but that's a different story). She wasn't just doing a bit of clenbuterol to make weight, it was heavy stuff. Maybe this is sexist on my behalf, but steroid use is much more serious for women compared to men imo. Prolonged use of steroids have been show to cause serious and permanent changes in women.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It's clear as day she wanted none of the paparazzi. Hiding her bruises my eye.

And what exactly do you think the paparazzi are there looking for?? Do you not actually know what they are there for or what they get paid to do???
    They are there looking for photos of the exact same bruises we are talking about, to show how badly she was beaten up after the fight and nothing else.

Wow how dare she hide her face from the paparrazi scumbags out looking for a cheap photo of her bruised face to splash all over the internet after she loses her title...

Easy to say that sitting on your couch watching the fight when you dont hold a UFC title or have any of the pressure around it. There's so much more around it than just the physical beating and having a few cuts and scrapes to show as war wounds. Losing in an all out warrior and getting messed up might be a badge of honour, or a sign of a great fight. Getting absolutely mauled by your opponent and losing the title you have had for ages in a division you have dominated is not seen as a badge of honour, certainly not by Ronda anyways at this point and why would it. She got taken apart by Holm and walked away without the belt, busted up and both physically and mentally is hurting big time after it. She hasnt experienced defeat in the UFC, shes never lost her title before. There is a hell of a lot going through her mind right now and that will have more effect and take more time to heal than any cut or bruise. Why on earth anyone would expect her to smile and wave to the paparazzi and show her war wounds off at this point I really dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Rousey via Decision
    If Ronda loses I'll change my Boards name to "Cathal Pendred's Fists of Fury" for a month.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Rousey via Decision
    :pac:

Fair play. It's actually a bad-ass username.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Rousey via Decision
    Fair play. It's actually a bad-ass username.

It's about as bad ass as Pendred's punches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

The flute playing is entirely way to funny for my liking :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Devastator wrote: »

Not one bit funny,pretty sad anybody would take time from their day to make a video of a trainers students losing not a mention of her 12 finishes,juvenile stuff.

Gamebred wrote: »

Not one bit funny,pretty sad anybody would take time from their day to make a video of a trainers students losing not a mention of her 12 finishes,juvenile stuff.

ahahaha did you really signup and use your 1st post just for that little moan? wise up, its nearly the weekend!

ahahaha did you really signup and use your 1st post just for that little moan? wise up, its nearly the weekend!

Who ever made the video has never competed in their life and has the neck to slag a combat trainer like Edmund whose forgot more than they could dream of knowing about fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

Rousey via Decision
    Who ever made the video has never competed in their life and has the neck to slag a combat trainer like Edmund whose forgot more than they could dream of knowing about fighting.

Its pretty much universally accepted that Edmund is at best a mediocre coach who had the absolute gift of Ronda Rousey walk into his gym (and he all but turned her away) .

The gains she has made in her striking, under his striking tutelage, are minimal, as evidenced by her lack of head movement, lack of an effective jab and inability to keep her chin tucked.

He told her after the first round that it was "beautiful" (possibly excusable as a throwaway statement) but then proceeded to tell Rousey what Holm was doing, without offering any advice as to how she should counter or react. This is the first time we've seen Ronda lose a round, and as a result the first time we've seen Tarverdyan having to actually corner, and IMO he came up short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rousey via Submission

Yeah, it's pretty damn funny actually.

Is that the guy that does all the bad flute videos Devestator? Definitely seen something like that before, just can't remember what it was about. Great stuff.

EDIT: never mind just found it:

Geez like sorry or something Edmund :rolleyes::D

Yeah, it's pretty damn funny actually.

Is that the guy that does all the bad flute videos Devestator? Definitely seen something like that before, just can't remember what it was about. Great stuff.

EDIT: never mind just found it:

haha thats good, they remind me of Les Dawson playing the piano :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rousey via Decision
    sounds like 1st year music class

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Hype_Train_zpszxkjywal.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

She will get a boxing coach in for the re-match i'd say. Has as her movement wasn't great. Rousey need's to either focus on fighting or acting etc. You can't really do both. MMA is a brutal sport and if you don't put the training in you will be found out. I wonder did she put the training hours in for this fight. I know one thing she will for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

She will get a boxing coach in for the re-match i'd say. Has as her movement wasn't great. Rousey need's to either focus on fighting or acting etc. You can't really do both. MMA is a brutal sport and if you don't put the training in you will be found out. I wonder did she put the training hours in for this fight. I know one thing she will for the next one.

Focusing on her boxing would be a really bad move. Holm is lightyears ahead in that department, she'll never catch up

Her best move would be to get into a wrestling camp and learn how to take people down in different ways. She will not beat Holm standing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ronda's coach is a boxing coach, that's the funny part, boxing is his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Of course she doesn't want her messed up face plastered all over the press. I doubt many fighters are hounded to the extent that she is after a fight. ....
    Good point. Rousey said she was depressed after the fight, and I hope we've learned enough about mental health to respect the privacy of anybody - public or private - when they're feeling down.

Also, the fact that Rousey has modelling and acting interests would make her shy to display facial injuries. It's likely she bruised-up even more overnight.

The fight itself? Holm gave a demonstration of crisp, accurate striking that made Rousey look foolish, especially when she stumbled-staggered immediately before the KO kick landed.

So impressive was Holm's exhibition, I'm actually sorry the fight didn't last longer so she could school Rousey some more. It's Just as well for Rousey the KO came when it did, considering the effects on her face of six minutes' punishment - a damaged nose and a split lip. Much more of that treatment and she might also have suffered two black eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ligerleo

Holm has a very long way to go before even coming any way near close to what Ronda has achieved in MMA. I cannot see her dominating the division like Ronda. Some people are talking about Holm now as she will not be beaten. I think its worth remembering that Holm failed to finish her only other two notable opponents who i dont even think were top ten fighters to get this title shot and got decision wins. Ronda was finishing the top fighters in the division in the first round. I think she had the wrong plan against Holly, thats all. Ronda is the better champion and will beat her in rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Rousey via Decision
    ligerleo wrote: »
    Holm has a very long way to go before even coming any way near close to what Ronda has achieved in MMA. I cannot see her dominating the division like Ronda. Some people are talking about Holm now as she will not be beaten. I think its worth remembering that Holm failed to finish her only other two notable opponents who i dont even think were top ten fighters to get this title shot and got decision wins. Ronda was finishing the top fighters in the division in the first round. I think she had the wrong plan against Holly, thats all. Ronda is the better champion and will beat her in rematch.

why do fighters have to finish every fight to be considered great for some people? GSP wasn't great at finishes, especially towards the end, aldo is not known as a great finisher. mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time and hardly ever finished fellas. its wins that matter.

froog wrote: »
    why do fighters have to finish every fight to be considered great for some people? GSP wasn't great at finishes, especially towards the end, aldo is not known as a great finisher. mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time and hardly ever finished fellas. its wins that matter.
    I'm just pointing out the facts. Just because Holm wins one fight well does not make her the greatest womans mma fighter, she will have to prove this time and time again like Rousey did if she wants to achieve this. Fighters usually have to beat big names to get a title shot, thought Holm got it too easily. Sure Pennington could have easily beaten Holm toward the end of their fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rousey via Decision
    I'm just pointing out the facts. Just because Holm wins one fight well does not make her the greatest womans mma fighter, she will have to prove this time and time again like Rousey did if she wants to achieve this. Fighters usually have to beat big names to get a title shot, thought Holm got it too easily. Sure Pennington could have easily beaten Holm toward the end of their fight.

Cat aside as she was out for over a year before beating Amanda Nunes; Rondas last opponents had beaten Shayna Bazsler,Jessica Eye & Shiela Gaff to get the shot these fighters IMO would have a tough time against Pennington or Reneau.

Holm was brought to the division originally with a view to taking on Ronda e.g. her contract would have been well above entry level salary(25k/25k) the fight was given too soon even Holm herself has stated that but you get an opportunity take it she did and we saw the result. Styles make fights and I reckon Holm has Rouseys number and would beat her again but whether she can do as good against the rest of the field remains to be seen.

Cat aside as she was out for over a year before beating Amanda Nunes; Rondas last opponents had beaten Shayna Bazsler,Jessica Eye & Shiela Gaff to get the shot these fighters IMO would have a tough time against Pennington or Reneau.

Holm was brought to the division originally with a view to taking on Ronda e.g. her contract would have been well above entry level salary(25k/25k) the fight was given too soon even Holm herself has stated that but you get an opportunity take it she did and we saw the result. Styles make fights and I reckon Holm has Rouseys number and would beat her again but whether she can do as good against the rest of the field remains to be seen.
    Rousey had beaten all of the top fighters in the division in the most dominant fashion. She just went out with the wrong fight plan against Holm, Ronda made the mistake of coming forward and trading with her. Holm is a counter puncher and I believe if Rousey was more patient she would have won the fight. We've seen that Holms striking is far less effective in her previous two fights where she was forced to be the aggressor. Its just one fight just because Buster Douglas beat Tyson does not mean he is remembered as been better. Rousey is capable of beating her in rematch if she changes her approach and uses her judo more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

Rousey via Decision
    Rousey had beaten all of the top fighters in the division in the most dominant fashion. She just went out with the wrong fight plan against Holm, Ronda made the mistake of coming forward and trading with her. Holm is a counter puncher and I believe if Rousey was more patient she would have won the fight. We've seen that Holms striking is far less effective in her previous two fights where she was forced to be the aggressor. Its just one fight just because Buster Douglas beat Tyson does not mean he is remembered as been better. Rousey is capable of beating her in rematch if she changes her approach and uses her judo more.

I agree that it was the wrong game plan, but its the only one Rousey has ever shown. Its not like she devised this forward pressure game specifically for Holm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

200_s.gif

I only seen her second fight in the UFC so can't comment on the first. fwiw i thought she looked really good in her second fight, just way more technical and athletic than the other women. She didn't knock her out but it was still an easy night for her. Also don't think there's much between the top fighters in the division and those outside the top ten(is there more than ten even?).

Maybe if she comes back in shape and with a good gameplan she can avenge the loss. Will she though?

bur wrote: »
    200_s.gif

I only seen her second fight in the UFC so can't comment on the first. fwiw i thought she looked really good in her second fight, just way more technical and athletic than the other women. She didn't knock her out but it was still an easy night for her. Also don't think there's much between the top fighters in the division and those outside the top ten(is there more than ten even?).

Maybe if she comes back in shape and with a good gameplan she can avenge the loss. Will she though?

Seriously you should have seen the Pennington fight, Holm was getting a beating toward the end. Yeah your right about the Renau fight in saying Holly was "more technical and athletic" but we learned her striking is far less effective when Holly is the aggressor and when her opponents are not chasing after her. I think Ronda could possibly have been distracted with things going on in her life, hollywood etc and was not fully focused. She did not seem herself at all. That and she had the wrong fight plan. When at her best there is no denying her judo. Believe me the rematch will be different & Ronda will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rousey via Decision
    cletus wrote: »
    I agree that it was the wrong game plan, but its the only one Rousey has ever shown. Its not like she devised this forward pressure game specifically for Holm

Its very typically Judo to push forward to your opponent as its an aggressive style where being passive or defensive will have you penalized.

If Rousey comes back, and I hope she does. I don't see her staying with a coach who told her she's doing beautifully when she was taking the hiding of her life.

People are saying she needs wrestling as she never done the likes of double leg take downs in the UFC, they're also very basic Judo throws which she didn't/couldn't use later in her Judo career because of reconstructive surgeries on her knee's.

Its not like she doesn't know them, they just haven't been part of her game for a long time.

That said, who knows what will happen in a camp for a rematch against Holms.

Once Dana's marketing machine can sort it out we'll defo see a rematch, there's too much money involved for it not to happen.

Will she beat HH in a rematch, dunno but everyone can be beaten.

Rousey via Decision
    Its very typically Judo to push forward to your opponent as its an aggressive style where being passive or defensive will have you penalized.

I think this is sums up the issue with Ronda. She's away from Judo for almsot 8 years (Beijing Olympics), and spent most of that time training and competing in MMA. Instead of adjusting Judo game for MMA, she just stuck with the plow forward approach. Aggression is fine in judo as you don't get punched in the face.

Rousey via Decision
    I think this is sums up the issue with Ronda. She's away from Judo for almsot 8 years (Beijing Olympics), and spent most of that time training and competing in MMA. Instead of adjusting Judo game for MMA, she just stuck with the plow forward approach. Aggression is fine in judo as you don't get punched in the face.

Yea, she hadn't figured on running into solids ~ thinking she'd clinch and go for the easy take down.

Well that plan blew up in her face, or as Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they're punched in the snot".

A move to a new gym (American Kickboxing Academy anyone?) will see a new Rousey off the blocks.

Now is probably a good time to pick up her book 'My fight, Your Fight' cheap too :pac:

I'm reading it at the moment and its surprisingly good. I'm half way through and she's still covering her Judo days (which of course I'm enjoying) so its not all MMA & UFC so you're given a pretty good background to where she comes from and how driven both her and her mother were.

Rousey via Decision
    A move to a new gym (American Kickboxing Academy anyone?) will see a new Rousey off the blocks.

She'd be best off at somewhere like Tristar imo. Or maybe Kings in california (Werdum, RDA) if she didn't want to more to Canada.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm via Submission
    Edmund is up in court in a week or two so the decision to move gym might not be in her hands much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rousey via Decision

See the Buster Douglas thing has been popping up a lot in the aftermath of this fight it's maybe relevant in terms of big upset; Buster Douglas never fought Tyson again the end goal was a fight with unbeaten Holyfield before that fight the same way I believe a fight with Cyborg was clearly the end goal for Ronda.

Obviously with Holyfield/Tyson fortunes changed for both before it ended up happening and people will remember the second fight more due to the ear chomping going on.

Like you say Holly a counter-puncher but like others homed in on Ronda has been the aggressor in previous fights to initiate clinch mainly but where others failed to hurt Ronda on the way to that Holly succeeded.

As someone who has watched Holly prior UFC I'm well sorry I didn't see it coming and not put a bet on as I like others assumed it would be typical Ronda armbar in 30 seconds or something (Hindsight is annoying); On the Pennington fight I believe (may be wrong) she primarily trains in boxing so perhaps that's why that fight translated that way with her and she recently avenged a loss to Jessica Andrade who before her loss to Reneau was linked with a possible Rousey showdown.

Ronda has been amazing for WMMA no disputing that but I think we should be comparing her to Royce Gracie basically kickstarting the mens equivalent as opposed to the Buster Douglas situation.

I don't think this was the biggest upset in UFC history for the record but in WMMA without a doubt. Like the older Holyfield had Tysons number I think the same is the case with Holly having Ronda's. Ronda opened as favourite in Vegas pending the rematch by way so the bookies are on your side.
    She'd be best off at somewhere like Tristar imo. Or maybe Kings in california (Werdum, RDA) if she didn't want to more to Canada.
    RDA said in an interview she'd be welcomed to Kings should she be willing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Rousey via Decision
    She should come over to SBG Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If there is a rematch i would like to see Holly add in a lot more leg kicks, really chop Ronda down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I won't be let near the place again by the missus if that happened ha.

Rousey via Decision
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    I won't be let near the place again by the missus if that happened ha.

Unless you're 6'4" and 240lbs + you don't have a hope in hell, her ex is Schaub and her current boyfriend is Travis Browne, she likes the big lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Unless you're 6'4" and 240lbs + you don't have a hope in hell, her ex is Schaub and her current boyfriend is Travis Browne, she likes the big lads.
    Oh I'm well aware.

The other half however, not her biggest fan ha ha

Rousey via Decision

6'2'', 260 Judoka here, and I agree ~ she NEEDS to try over here, with me.. I can show her the way of my people :P

Rousey via Decision
    6'2'', 260 Judoka here, and I agree ~ she NEEDS to try over here, with me.. I can show her the way of my people :P

The only old man she's into is The Last Emperor.

Seen pics of her out and about shes after piling the weight on.

Rousey via Decision
    The only old man she's into is The Last Emperor.

Oh I think she'd like to rub this ol' relic & his lucky charms :cool:

Rousey via Decision
    Seen pics of her out and about shes after piling the weight on.

See 'tis all good.. She'll keep you warm in winter, and keep you cool in her shade in summer!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Holm via Submission

Yeah, she should, they did a great job with Cathals standup ;)

Advertisement