Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salary issue

Options
  • 13-12-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

i am currently working for a company through an agency. i earn €12.61 per hour for a 36.25 hour week and paid weekly. i am transferring to the work directly on the companies payroll from january. ive been told that i will receive a 9% pay increase.

12.61 x 36.25 x 52 weeks = €23,769pa, with the 9% increase i expect a new salary of €25,908??

however i have been told by HR that my new salary will be €23,916. i have queried this and have been told that "we work 240 days per year" and thus they calculate it as follows:

12.61 x 7.25(hrs/day) x 240 = €21,941 + 9% increase = €23,916.

i think this is wrong as 240 days = 48 weeks which would mean i would loose out on 4 weeks pay per year?? can anyone help me with this one as im sure they have it wrong. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They have to pay you holidays, have you asked about this? 48 weeks would leave 4 week which I presume are holidays.

Does the business close for 4 weeks? If so, you may have to sign on for 4 weeks per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They have to pay you holidays, have you asked about this? 48 weeks would leave 4 week which I presume are holidays.

Does the business close for 4 weeks? If so, you may have to sign on for 4 weeks per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

no the business doesnt close for 4 weeks per year. i dont know how they are coming up with the 240 working days. it doesnt make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The four weeks difference (= minimum amount of annual leave) is the clue.

What is your agency's approach re holiday pay? I was rather surprised to find that the agencies I temped with paid me HP on top of my hourly rate - so if I worked for them at a client site for 48 weeks, they paid me for the other four weeks without billing the client for those hours. This meant that over a year my effective hourly rate (if you just looked at earnings divided by hours actually worked) was 8% higher than the hourly rate I was quoted.

It may well be that your 9% increase is really just a 1% increase, after you allow for holiday.

240 working days = 48 weeks * 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

JustMary wrote: »
    The four weeks difference (= minimum amount of annual leave) is the clue.

What is your agency's approach re holiday pay? I was rather surprised to find that the agencies I temped with paid me HP on top of my hourly rate - so if I worked for them at a client site for 48 weeks, they paid me for the other four weeks without billing the client for those hours. This meant that over a year my effective hourly rate (if you just looked at earnings divided by hours actually worked) was 8% higher than the hourly rate I was quoted.

It may well be that your 9% increase is really just a 1% increase, after you allow for holiday.

240 working days = 48 weeks * 5 days

With agency I get holiday pay @ 8% of hours worked. The company I will be working for give 25 days holidays. Surely your salary is incl of holiday pay or else in this case I would not have paid holidays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement