Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refinishing a guitar

Options
  • 17-04-2015 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I have a BC Rich Evil Edge mockingbird: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/2/4/9/7/249775/pics/_c434094_image_0.jpg

It's a budget metal guitar, but it's very well constructed, and I wanted to put new pickups on it, but I'm also looking into the possibility of removing the black paint and giving it a natural finish.

Anyone know how difficult this is to do? I was hoping it was just a case of sanding the paint off and applying some sort of varnish to the wood with a cloth. It's not worth taking to a shop to get it repainted as that would cost more than the guitar itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yup, in a perfect world it'd be sand, then varnish.

but

if the wood was nice they would have clear coated it in the first place.

have a look in the pickup cavities to make sure it isn't ply......

here's a bass I made .

I stained it blue and then sanded it out so the stain was only in more porus areas of grain, then clear coated it over the top.

something to think about anyway......

40600333.jpg

40600347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Poly paint can be hard to remove you need to sand it then apply paint remover and probably do this a few times
    Dont use a metal scraper on it get a plastic one
    Take your time doing this otherwise youll ruin the body

I've used a wipe on finishing oil on a good few projects recently simply because you dont get paint streaks and it builds up very evenly over a few coats
    I cant remember the exact name of it but Ill have a look in my workshop tomorrow and post the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

tru oil? get it in a gun shop.

or danish oil is similar.

both need a load of thin coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Liberon finishing oil
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-003819-Finishing-Oil-500ml/dp/B000TAWCIE

Its similar to both that Martin mentions, has a fast drying time and you can buy it in Woodies, B&Q, Homebase etc.

I recently finished my amp in it
    16086621268_665c1e3ab2_c.jpg

Advertisement