Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film of Siege of Jadotville in production

• 18-04-2015 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭

. . . this week it was announced that a full-length feature film, The Siege of Jadotville, is to be made next year, with shooting taking place in Ireland and South Africa.

Northern Ireland-born actor Jamie Dornan will play Comdt Pat Quinlan from Waterville in Co Kerry, the pipe-smoking 42-year-old commander of A Company, who led his men against extraordinary odds, under attack from Katangan tribesmen and foreign mercenaries in the Congo.

Parallel Films believes it’s on to a winner. “Jamie Dornan in uniform?” quipped one of their public relations agents. “What’s not to like?”

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/film-siege-of-jadotville-to-reveal-heroism-of-irish-troops-1.1891868

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Dornan.... so this will be like 50 shades in the Jungle then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

50 shades of Zulu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

According to Netflix, this film is "coming soon".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I really hope Netflix don't f*ck us over and only show it in other territories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I really hope Netflix don't f*ck us over and only show it in other territories.

I don't think so, I'm in Ireland and if I search for "Jadotville" on my Netflix account, that's where I see the "coming soon" message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Just came across this.
    Nice video. I love the effort and honesty behind the ballad in the soundtrack. It was composed and sung by the 2 5th Inf bn pipe band members and in my humble opiniion it is a tribute of the nature that only fellow soldiers could compose. Their names are on the youtube site - well done lads, wish there was a saluting smiley :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

The trailer is out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Great trailer. Been really looking forward to seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Looks great.
    Hopefully it's in the spirit of last stand movies like Zulu The Wild Geese and Sahara.
    Undoubtedly it will be a bit clichéd.
    The stiff upper lipped commanding officer, the tough foul mouthed sergeant who is actually just a big soft teddy bear, the stoical chaplain, the medic, the earnest radioman pleading for help, the bazooka man, the frightened young private who had never had a woman and wants to go home to his ma, the coward who turns into a bad ass hero, the native boy who is adopted by the men and the enemy commander who has fought too many battles but comes to respect his counterpart. Etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

No doubt it will be a bit 'cliched'..to be expected in most films I suppose.

I'm looking forward to it...the trailer looks great - nice that they got the Fouga details correct..rather than some random period fighter jet flying overhead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Silvera wrote: »
    No doubt it will be a bit 'cliched'..to be expected in most films I suppose.

I'm looking forward to it...the trailer looks great - nice that they got the Fouga details correct..rather than some random period fighter jet flying overhead!

I don't remember reading about a Huey getting shot down and crashing with the soldiers having to run from the spinning rotors.
    A helicopter did manage to fly in water which was contaminated with diesel while under fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I don't remember reading about a Huey getting shot down and crashing with the soldiers having to run from the spinning rotors.
    A helicopter did manage to fly in water which was contaminated with diesel while under fire.

helicopter was damaged whilst flying in and unable to take off again from what I recall. That wouldn't make for a big flashy explosion/dramatic sequence

... and also possibly why we'll be watching this on Netflix and not National Geographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Looks great.
    Hopefully it's in the spirit of last stand movies like Zulu The Wild Geese and Sahara.
    Undoubtedly it will be a bit clichéd.
    The stiff upper lipped commanding officer, the tough foul mouthed sergeant who is actually just a big soft teddy bear, the stoical chaplain, the medic, the earnest radioman pleading for help, the bazooka man, the frightened young private who had never had a woman and wants to go home to his ma, the coward who turns into a bad ass hero, the native boy who is adopted by the men and the enemy commander who has fought too many battles but comes to respect his counterpart. Etc etc

Quality post! Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

going on general release week beginning 19/09, should be worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

For anyone looking for some 'light' reading.....

People first, mission always: a historical examination of the need to find the balance between protecting the force and achieving the mission.

.....an Irish officer's thesis from the MMAS course in Ft Leavenworth......covers Jadotville.

Advertisement