Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Towncentre granted new anchor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Steven81 wrote: »
    Easons ...

I wonder how much bigger its new location is to its old Golden Island location, always loved going in there as a young lad.

I'd say they are kicking themselves that they ever moved.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

What changes have been made to the Centre. Haven't had a need to be there in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Itzy wrote: »
    What changes have been made to the Centre. Haven't had a need to be there in months.
    Not much.
    Togo is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

The shops that were on right hand side as you enter that were closed or in for a month or two ( calendars) is now Easons, they have up to H and M. Born is gone somewhere downstairs to make room for TK Maxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Born has a confusing logo. I thought the shop was called Boru.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

When I was a child, nearly every unit was in use and Connaught street was fairly lively as well. It's gone both have gone down hill some what in the last 10 years.

No later than 1998. Golden Island had just opened. In 1996 Eason, Xtra vision (huge store where Paddy Power is now) and Music World were in Church Street. Connacht side was beginning to go,but the butchers etc were still doing a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

No later than 1998. Golden Island had just opened. In 1996 Eason, Xtra vision (huge store where Paddy Power is now) and Music World were in Church Street. Connacht side was beginning to go,but the butchers etc were still doing a trade.

Eason where Centra is now (opposite Prince).

Retailers just copped that most people who spend cash also have cars and thus require access for their vehicles. Church Street doesn't provide this. For that reason, only bars/clubs have made any headway there (as most of the customers are taxied in and out so road space isn't an issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I was told yesterday by someone that works in the center that tx maxx has pulled out and are going to the old Texas centre, with heatons moving in too.

Not sure how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

cena wrote: »
    I was told yesterday by someone that works in the center that tx maxx has pulled out and are going to the old Texas centre, with heatons moving in too.

Not sure how true that is.

A great shot in the arm for Irishtown side of town if true. Probably would have got a better deal. Would make sense, the old Texas was similarish to a TK Maxx store in layout so would suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

In fairness the Texas Centre would suit far better for TK Maxx and Heatons, plenty of floor space and parking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

TK Maxx would make a great anchor store to hopefully, fingers crossed, fill the place up again. That's wishful thinking on my behalf though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Wonder what truth there is in the rumour, seeing as it looks like shops have already been moved around to facilitate TKMaxx, can't imagine that'd be done without something solid in place.

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Wonder what truth there is in the rumour, seeing as it looks like shops have already been moved around to facilitate TKMaxx, can't imagine that'd be done without something solid in place.

Could put a large Heatons or similar into the unit if the rumour is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Heatons/Sportsworld would have a lot of objections from Elverys, JD and M&S if they were to try to nose into ATC. The old Texas would suit better with TK Maxx filling the units beside the Sheraton where Easons have moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    In fairness the Texas Centre would suit far better for TK Maxx and Heatons, plenty of floor space and parking.

Any plans in the pipeline for this place? I'd imagine knocking the whole thing down and the car park might be the best thing. Replace it with park or something. That would be nice except for the large amount of scumbags knocking around there sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

The car park might be salvageable to be used as part of a new development, but I agree that the best thing that could be done with the rest of the shopping center is to demolish it.

I remember when it opened. The opening was carried out by Gay Byrne - It was doomed right from the start .:rolleyes:

Long Gone wrote: »
    The car park might be salvageable to be used as part of a new development, but I agree that the best thing that could be done with the rest of the shopping center is to demolish it.

I remember when it opened. The opening was carried out by Gay Byrne - It was doomed right from the start .:rolleyes:

At the time, there was feck all parking, but if it were to reopen, it would still be doomed. You'd want to put very good anchor stores in to it to keep it alive, otherwise, the only option would be to knock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

At the time, there was feck all parking, but if it were to reopen, it would still be doomed. You'd want to put very good anchor stores in to it to keep it alive, otherwise, the only option would be to knock it.

There was parking. There was a good car park on the left at the bottom of the hill down from St Mary's Place and more parking at the Irishtown side. Parking was not a problem for the first few decades and it was generally the way the centre got rundown and outdated that was its downfall. I also remember them having one particularly obnoxious scumbag (used to walk around with an alsatian) employed there as a "security guard" - Enough to put anyone off shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The shopping centre website have now added Starbucks to their list of stores as opening soon.

http://athlonetowncentre.com/stores/list/starbucks-coffee-company-opening-soon/

ongarboy wrote: »
    The shopping centre website have now added Starbucks to their list of stores as opening soon.

http://athlonetowncentre.com/stores/list/starbucks-coffee-company-opening-soon/

Probably going into that ToGone slot.
    Shame no-one can use that balcony owing to the poor accessibility for the impaired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Oh great.
    Starbucks
    overpriced crap coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

While it's good to see another unit being filled, I'm lukewarm about Starbucks coming to Athlone. Everywhere you look in Dublin you'll see one and they're putting smaller independent coffee shops under serious threat.

Their coffee isn't that great either.

If Starbucks ever decide to change their name, I suggest piss in a cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Different shopping centre but Insomnia has opened in Penneys in Athlone!

http://www.insomnia.ie/2015/11/at-the-centre-of-things-insomnia-opens-in-athlone/

Apparently Starbucks are now earmarked to move into the New Shopping Centre in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ongarboy wrote: »
    Different shopping centre but Insomnia has opened in Penneys in Athlone!

http://www.insomnia.ie/2015/11/at-the-centre-of-things-insomnia-opens-in-athlone/
    I seen that when I was in on Friday. I could see the Insomnia advertisements on most of the clothing displays but it didn't actually say/I didn't notice on the displays that Insomnia was actually in the store til I seen it in the far corner! I thought it was referring to the coffee shop out on the mall which is actually Costa!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I don;t understand why pennys needs a cafe in the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

people are addicted to coffee??

Presumably Costa wanted into Golden Island but there wasn't room anywhere else.

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    people are addicted to coffee??

Building on what Texas had done previously, before it had closed I presume.

Advertisement