Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Chance

Options
  • 17-04-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me with some info.

I done a PLC then went into to college and dropped out after the first year,I then done another course from year one and dropped out in third year.I got a level 6 cert.

I'm now going back after 6 years but doing a different course but starting in year two.The course is level 6 Aswell and from what I'm reading I don't quailty for second chance as I'm not progressing , is that correct .

I was made redundant recently so I qualify immediately for the back to education , I'm just trying to figure out how much I'm going have to pay.

I used the susi app to see if I qualify for that and sane thing I got since I'm going to the same level I don't qualify.

Are there any channels I can go for assistance in paying the fees/contribution fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Unfortunately you have to be attending a level higher than 6 for grant assistance.
    AFAIK there is no other option than a loan from a Bank or Credit Union.

You can enter a level 8 and qualify as progressing without the need to be considered a second chance student.
    If you are entering a level 7 and you want to do the full 3 years, you would have to be considered a second chance student but can enter the second year of the course to be considered progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

The course is level 6 with add on years for level 7 and level 8 which I plan to do.I still have to pay for this years fees and then next year I wouldnt?

The course is level 6 with add on years for level 7 and level 8 which I plan to do.I still have to pay for this years fees and then next year I wouldnt?

That is correct.

Does it matter that I was in a level 7 course and droped out,as in if I do this level 6 and start a level 7 add on year will I quailify for the free fees?

Sup08 wrote: »
    That is correct.

Thanks for the help by the way!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help by the way!

Sorry but I may have made a mistake.
    And will update you tomorrow but I think going back to a level 6 will exclude you from being a second chance student for a level 7 and you will be liable for the years fees.

Sup08 wrote: »
    Sorry but I may have made a mistake.
    And will update you tomorrow but I think going back to a level 6 will exclude you from being a second chance student for a level 7 and you will be liable for the years fees.

Any update

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

As a second chance student all your eligibility criteria are reset as if you never attended in the first place.
    Level 6 courses are eligible for SUSI funding, so you should be approved.

EDIT: Hang on, I just noticed you said you actually got a Level 6 cert. You can't qualify as a second chance student in that case. You'll need to enter a new course at Level 7 or higher to get funding.

Ok thanks

Sorry for the delay in the reply.

If you enter a level 6 this this year, you lose the chance of being a second chance student and will have to pay fees for the level 6 and level 7 years of the course.

If you enter a level 7 this year, you do get a chance to be as second chance student for the level 7 and may get fees and maintenance if eligible, once all other criteria is met.

Second chance student means you must be entering the same level you entered but did not finish the course or receive the award for such course.
    From the point you left the previous course with 5 years or more and you must not have entered higher education where the award results in a major award on the NFQ.

This criteria would include an apprenticeship or part-time course.

For example..
    You left a level 7 in year 3, but received an award for the first 2 years (doesn't really matter that you got this award to be a second chance student).
    You MUST not enter a course that leads to an award lower than level 7 to be considered a second chance student.
    There have should be NO EDUCATION between the time you left the last course and your new course at the same level. Even if you did not get such the award for the course (Major Award on the NFQ).
    If you attended any education where the course lead to a major award, whether you got the award or not, you do not qualify.

It is a tricky part of the scheme to interpret but basically the gap between point A (Old Level 7) and B (New Level 7) in education must be clear.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks ,I have not done any other course or got any cert bar the level 6 cert.If I go straight to third year level 7 and I meet the criteria I can receive the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭eire_insane

I attended a course where I carried a subject into a level 7 course. I never completed the level 6 or 7. Would I be entitled to go back as a second class student into a level 6 course.

Ok thanks ,I have not done any other course or got any cert bar the level 6 cert.If I go straight to third year level 7 and I meet the criteria I can receive the funds.

Yes, you should be eligible under second chance.

I attended a course where I carried a subject into a level 7 course. I never completed the level 6 or 7. Would I be entitled to go back as a second class student into a level 6 course.

ASAIK, No, as the level 7 was between the level 6 you attended and the level 6 you want to attend.

I am still looking for information and was at the social welfare office twice but the women that deals with it has not been in all week.

Anyway I tihnk I know the answer but if I want to go back and finish my original level 7 course(repeat 3rd year) I would be entitled to get the fees paid for as a second chance student?

I am still looking for information and was at the social welfare office twice but the women that deals with it has not been in all week.

Anyway I tihnk I know the answer but if I want to go back and finish my original level 7 course(repeat 3rd year) I would be entitled to get the fees paid for as a second chance student?

The social welfare don't deal with the Grant. You need to speak with SUSI

Advertisement