Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forced shutdown on touch

Options
  • 16-04-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong section.
    Hi. Im using a galaxy s3 to view boards on te touch site. In the last few weeks my chrome browser has been shutting down when using this site. It might only stay open for 10/20 seconds sometimes but at best it lasts about a minute. I thought it might be an issue with my browser so started using a different one and its still the same leading me to think its the site and not my browsers?
    any ideas as tho what it is or how i can sort it out?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm having the same problem, I thought it was my phone acting up. Same phone, and it's happening on Dolphin and the internet browser that comes with the phone.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Did you guys upgrade to lollipop (android version 5) recently by any chance? I've found my browser (Dolphin on an S4) crashing quite a bit since I upgraded, not limited to boards either.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Did you guys upgrade to lollipop (android version 5) recently by any chance? I've found my browser (Dolphin on an S4) crashing quite a bit since I upgraded, not limited to boards either.
    Im android 4.3. It happens on chrome and the browser pre installed on the phone. Its just the boards website it happens on. Never noticed it on any other site.

Still on 4.3 here too. Touch boards is getting unusable at this stage. Very frustrating to try to read anything with constant crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Same here with Firefox on Jellybean 4.1.1.
    I use the stock browser for most of my sites and it's happening on a couple of them too so I put it down to a problem with Android.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I just have problems with this site and it's ad related I think.

I have blocked the ads on boards, the difference is unreal. Much easier to get around the site now. I'll gladly put the ads back when the issue is fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have been complaining to the Dolphin developers & then I accidentally find this thread.

I am using a Nexus 5 with 5.1 & Boards is crashing frequently. I am also get 500 server errors today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

Discodog wrote: »
    I have been complaining to the Dolphin developers & then I accidentally find this thread.

I am using a Nexus 5 with 5.1 & Boards is crashing frequently. I am also get 500 server errors today.

Well there is a coincidence. I am getting same on chrome on iOS. Both current and up to date. Have to keep trying to get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have just installed Adblock & the site is way faster but I am still getting 500 error

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Also getting the 500 error and site is really slow.

Twitter is flying, so its not the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The 500 error is related to the site changes today. The other problems I'm sure are ad related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Is the 500 error the internal server error?
    Was getting that earlier but ok now.
    Firefox still crashing but it's also crashing on another newspaper website so I don't know if it's Boards or not.
    Reinstalling Firefox didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,827 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are all these crashes that people are talking about on mobiles, or on PC/laptops? (Can you even get the touch site on PC/laptop???)

Can I add an ad-block on the phone? Can anyone tell me how I might do this?

I have no objection to ads on the touch site, but if they're causing all the glitches lately then I'll happily get rid of them. Sorry, boards!

The site has been bit of a nightmare lately - between the shutdowns (although I couldn't swear that it's always on boards.ie, it may be from other sites as well), the slowness of it, and most of today just saying "not available" it's become a right pain to use on the phone.

Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing if this is the phone itself (it's fairly elderly as phones go these days), the fantastic Three service (not) that was foisted upon me when they took over O2, or the boards site iself.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement