Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of connecting electricity to house

• 25-01-2015 6:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I am nearing the completion of a house build. I bought the house unfinished in an estate where alot of the other houses had been finished years before I bought mine. There is already supply at the street. I'm just wondering does anyone know how much connection to the actual house would cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭stringbean

I'm based up North and the prices are a disagrace, got a quote last week from NIE for connection for £9k - about 200 yards from the transformer - ridiculous but we've no choice to pay it!

As I say that is for up north, hopefully a lot less in the rest of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

stringbean wrote: »
    I'm based up North and the prices are a disagrace, got a quote last week from NIE for connection for £9k - about 200 yards from the transformer - ridiculous but we've no choice to pay it!

As I say that is for up north, hopefully a lot less in the rest of the country

That sounds extortionate. The distance from the meter box to the connection point in my case is only about 10 metres so hopefully the connection fee is alot than less what you were quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It's 1805 euro for 12kVA and 2444 euro for16kVA. Google new electricity connection to bring up the ESB networks page with all the info you should need. It also takes up to 12 weeks so if you're nearly finished you'd want to get cracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

bee06 wrote: »
    It's 1805 euro for 12kVA and 2444 euro for16kVA. Google new electricity connection to bring up the ESB networks page with all the info you should need. It also takes up to 12 weeks so if you're nearly finished you'd want to get cracking.

Thanks. Had a look at that but thought it was just a standard charge for rural locations. Thought it might be a little cheaper as it is part of an estate and supply is already at the street. I'll get onto them this week. Hopefully if they're in the area they can do it quicker than 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Chisler2

aido79 wrote: »
    Thanks. Had a look at that but thought it was just a standard charge for rural locations. Thought it might be a little cheaper as it is part of an estate and supply is already at the street. I'll get onto them this week. Hopefully if they're in the area they can do it quicker than 12 weeks.

What was your source of power for tools and machinery throughout the building work? Did the contractor bring generators or how was that managed? Would I need to have the power-supply before the builders arrive or time ESB connecting supply to completion-date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

The builders will need to supply power for their own tools. You can't get an electricity connection until the house is almost finished and the electrician has signed off on the house electrics. As said above you should start discussing it with the ESB early in case there are any poles to be moved etc. I found them very helpful when I was building but you do need to apply a couple of months before you need it. Unfortunately the same could not be said for some other service providers.

Advertisement