Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Definition of "curtilage"? (with regards planning permission exemption)

• 24-01-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Just been looking at build options that might be exempt from planning permission, and far as I can gather, it's permitted to build a garage/shed/greenhouse/whatever up to 25m sq so long as a number of conditions are satisfied..... one of them being that you must build within "the curtilage" of the existing building.

I have some rough idea now from googling that this refers to the general boundary of the property, but would like to understand it better with specific regard to planning. For example, if I owned a few bordering fields (all constituting the one property on which the existing house stands) and would like to build a little workshop, not in the same field that the house is in but one adjoining, then would this be considered within or beyond the curtilage?

From what little I've read so far, it seems a bit of a grey area. If it's a matter of distance, well the distance from the house to the intended building site in the neighbouring field would be half the distance of building it at the far end of the field the house is in. Also, if it's only a case of it having to be in the same field, then what's to stop someone just tearing down the boundary to turn two or more fields into one bigger one to suit their needs? (Possibly lots of things? I don't actually know!)

Would be great to hear some answers on this.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the land is zoned agricultural, then u are in a different box to building on a property in an area zone residential.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For example, if I owned a few bordering fields (all constituting the one property on which the existing house stands) and would like to build a little workshop, not in the same field that the house is in but one adjoining, then would this be considered within or beyond the curtilage?
    Generally, that would be considered not to be within the curtilage. At a minimum, it would need to be within the same field and possibly, within the same minimal fully-enclosing circle if it is a large field.

Realise that getting planning permission isn't all that hard, provided you comply with the the city / county development plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Thanks, yes I wouldn't rule out planning but just curious about the options for exempt for now. Can you tell me what that minimum fully enclosed circle bit means please. Or any links to something online maybe. Just interested to know what that is regardless of relevance to this stuff. thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

also, anyone have any idea about roof pitch in terms of exempt planning?
    Rules state that the max height is 4m for a pitched roof and 3m for other types. Can pitched included mono-pitched -as in simply sloping from one side of the building to the other-
    getImage.php?id=209&w=250&h=173

as opposed to these ones.......
    Roof_Pitch.gif

.........................?

• Advertisement
Advertisement